Apartments And Tank Weight. How To Not Die And Kill My Neighbors.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tankgurl, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Tankgurl

Tankgurl New Member Member

I apologize if there is a post on this somewhere however searching (via app) has proved fruitless. I currently live in an apartment on the 3rd floor of a 5 floor, brick city apartment. In a room to the right, I have a 75G gallon filled and stocked. In the living room corner, I have a 20G planted tank and I'm wanting to set up tanks in my spare bedroom off the left. My wife and I are really getting into Aquaponics and want a room full of tanks and plants. We are worried about how much weight can actually bare down on a floor before it is a safety concern. I was looking at a 125G tank today and wondered if it would even be safe to have? If we need to wait a couple years then so be it but we would REALLY like to fill this room with tanks. I searched tank weights and understand a 125g weighs in at around 1400lb but for my apartment as a whole, what would be safe.
    I have tried googling the interwebs and have not gotten a solid answers.

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

You may have to ask. It really just depends on if the floor is reinforced/how well. I would say that your best bet would be putting it on a support wall.

3. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

I would look at how old your building is, and how it's made.

I read that you only start having problems after 200g, and in theory it makes sense because 1400 lb is like 5 dudes on a couch.

At the same time, I'm right with you with all that concern you're feeling. I had a choice of 90g or 2 50g when I moved to my current apartment and decided to go from tubs to tanks, and in the end decided not to risk it.... and re-homed most of my golds.

It's really up to your level of comfort.

4. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

That might also be one of those things that's up to the landlord unfortunately.

5. OP
    OP
    Tankgurl

Luckily we live in a super chill building. Pet policy is very lax. They leave it up to the tenants to decide how many pets are acceptable and you only pay ONE pet deposit. Pretty unheard of, especially in Seattle where they try to pinch every dollar they can from people. Honestly, I'm too nervous to proceed any further with large tank plans and while it makes me VERY sad, I need to think about everyone's safety. It's an older building and I'm not about to have Engineers come out here and make a big to do about it. I will probably continue to add another 20G for my aquaponics table but I'll have to call it quits after that one until I buy a home. I am just sooooo in to designing tanks and taking care of them that I want an entire room / rooms dedicated to it. I have always dreamed a bit bigger than what reality permits :)

6. OP
    OP
    Tankgurl

I'm feeling a bit more uncomfortable about it the more I think about it. I don't think the added stress will be worth it and it will have to be something that waits until I buy a home. I'll max myself out at another 20g perhaps for my aquaponics but that will be it.

7. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Same here. Luckily I live in a duplex, so that allows more weight. However, I'm not sure how big is too big in the office manager's eyes. So far I only have a 20 long in the living room and a 10 gallon quarantine in the spare bedroom. Oh and also a 40B that I'm wanting to eventually set up. Might wait until moving though on that one so I don't have to move a set up tank that big. Either way though, I'm pretty maxed out (small place). I'm already dreaming about a 75 or 90 gallon though.

8. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

I think 50g would be totally safe if you really want a tank bigger than 20.

And yeah, I agree! The stress is absolutely not worth any kind of cool new thing, be it a huge tank or expensive car payments. Takes the joy out of the thing you bought specifically for enjoyment, so what is even the point. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice