Apartment and fish

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, this is great. I have a 55 gallon and a 29 gallon tank that have become my hobby, and I've invested a lot of time and money into both of them. My fish bring me so much joy, and I planned on keeping them for the rest of their lives. Unfortunately, after these past few months of posting on Fish Lore and learning and enjoying the hobby, I've found out that my apartment may not allow me to keep my tanks. I'm devastated. Just wantd to share.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh No!

In my last apartment anything of 30 gallons had to be insured but I could still keep them
Do you know for sure or is it just a feeling?

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well... what a bummer! Honestly I think you should overlook that rule.

Fortunately fish are silent pets so how are they going to find out you are keeping them unless you tell them?

What are the legal consequences you may face?

I am in favor of respecting norms and regulations but, there are exceptions. Context should come into consideration when dealing with ethical conflicts. That's where Kant went wrong.

Ask yourself: What harm can you cause others by keeping fish there?

What harm will it cause to you to obey that rule?

By the way I'm moving into a new apartment this Fall so I'll make sure to check whatever is written in small letters about fishkeeping.

IMHO I would say (four letter word I will not type here) that rule. But that's just me and my (sometimes irrational) MTS. Make your own decision based on your own conclusions.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kant bored the heck out of me in college, so I agree with Pepe! LOL.

BTW, many apartment complexes will have a limit on the size of tank you can keep, if any. Obviously, you aren't going to be able to pass off a 55 gallon as a 10 gallon.... but if the limit is anywhere close to what you have, non-fishkeepers will never know the difference imo.

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you so much for the support, everybody. They're coming in tomorrow to do an inspection, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. They do LOTS of inspections here. I didn't think it'd be a problem until I looked in my lease and saw some vague regulations. Either we'll get fined for not paying a deposit beforehand, or we'll be told we can't have it at all since we're not on the first floor. The terms were hard to understand, so I just have to wait and see. It's impossible to cover it up or hide it, and since they come in so frequently they'd see it eventually : (

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey goldie,
Some buildings have restrictions on fish keeping because of the weight of a tank, and depending on how it's built.

Remember that every litre = 1kg, thus a significant sized tank could pose a serious weight risk to the floor boards etc.

Sorry to burst a bubble, but I have heard of this being the reason, not the actual hobby being a problem.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Goldiegirl-I'm sorry you're going through this. I have an issue with apartment complexes that do a lot of inspections. I consider that an invasion of privacy.

See what they say when they do the inspections and maybe we can help you come up with a workaround or a way to hide them when the inspections are done.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You may luck out too, depending on the "inspector". Many times it's a maintenance guy who could care less about your fish, pets etc and just wants to get in, get his job done and get the heck out of there. We had two great danes and 3 cats in an apartment where we were supposed to have 1 cat and 1 "medium sized" dog, and the maintenance guys never ratted us out.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I my old place all they did was come in and check the smoke detector (front hall) no tanks visible from there But I was also in a solid concrete building so tank weight wasn't that big a deal (even on the 3rd floor)...

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't know what the rules are with fish tanks at my apartment complex. I remember when I first moved in, I was asked if I had pets and I told her just a 10g tank with fish (all I had at the time) and she kind of just laughed and said ok. Well now I have a 29g and a 45g but never checked the lease rules, but then again I'm on the first floor so maybe it isn't an issue anyway.

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really, really hope it's just maintenance, but the notice says "management" will be entering. My 55 gallon isn't visible and is actually out on a concrete covered balcony, so I'm not worried about that one. The 29 gallon is the one that's visible. I definitely understand about the weight issue. Does anyone know if a 29 gallon is typically too much? Of course there aren't 29 gallons of water - more like 25. I've looked up the weight and I know it's at least 250 lbs, but this doesn't seem like that much. Some humans weigh more than that... I'm just hoping that they'll see it as a "small" tank.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No matter how fine the small print, if it's in your lease, you need to abide by it. You signed the lease, thereby agreeing that you would live by someone else's rules. That's just the way it is.

I always rented in a two family house, whenever possible, thereby avoiding this type of issue. I had to find pet-friendly landlords as I've always had multiple dogs living with me.

I do hope you make out alright in your situation.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 29 Gallon isn't going to cause structural floor issues. If your floor can't hold that then you've got bigger problems than that. Think of it like this. Could you have four or five people weighing 150-200 lbs stand in one area of the room without the floor caving in? Then you are probably fine. It depends on what you have in it but a 29 gallon will probably not weigh more than 300-350 lbs fully stocked.

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks again, everybody. The woman who came in didn't say anything, but she had a clipboard and made notes. It's possible that I could get a notice later, but we'll see. I would be surprised if 29g was considered too large also, but it's an older building.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yay

Not to dwell on the topic, but aside from the weight, some landlords also look at the worst case scenarios. "What if it broke?", large tanks = large volumes of water to 'flood' the joint = water logged floors etc.

And some of the penny pinching landlords also look at the 'huge costs' in power (little do they know)

Anyway, hope nothing gets said, or just a letter at the worst

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just put in an application for a different apartment and asked the manager there about their policy on fish. She just smiled at me and said there is none > MTS, here I come... lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom