How Do I Anything that will eat this type of algae? How do i get rid of it?

milankosaurus

Reaction score
Hi, I have this large piece of wood in my tank that has been there for at least half a year. I couldn't boil it because it wouldn't fit into any of my pots, so just like any wood it started to grow algae on it. I had wood in my tanks before but none of them ever grew this type of black algae. It comes off easily by hand, its slimy and none of my fish, nerite snail or amano shrimps eat it. There is none on the plants, rocks or glass. My platies peck at it but it doesn't come off like the white algae that is common on the wood. Trying to avoid scraping it off as the wood has too many nooks and crannies to get it all out and it grows back eventually. But if there is no choice i may have to. Also if possible i'd like to avoid chemicals but if nothing else helps, i would use them.

20 gallon tank , pH 7.6, ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5-20ppm is what i have. Lights (basic led lights that come with the hood) are on for 7 hours a day and if i lower the intensity or duration my plants start dying off. I am dosing with co op easy green (2-3 times a week)and co op liquid CO2 (every other day). Not sure if its black beard algae because it doesn't touch plans and it comes off easy. It's just very unsightly. Any help appreciated. Attached pic below

Attachments

OP
milankosaurus

milankosaurus

Reaction score
Aquashrimp42 said:
Have you tried a bristlenose pleco? They destroy the algae in my tank.
I had bristlenose pleco in this tank before the same time i added this wood but it died pretty fast (disease in the tank) and i had no algae growing yet so i cannot confirm if bn pleco would eat it

Aquashrimp42

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Usually, bristlenose plecos are very hardy. I have never had one die on me but of old age or another fish eating the babies.

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
milankosaurus said:
Hi, I have this large piece of wood in my tank that has been there for at least half a year. I couldn't boil it because it wouldn't fit into any of my pots, so just like any wood it started to grow algae on it. I had wood in my tanks before but none of them ever grew this type of black algae. It comes off easily by hand, its slimy and none of my fish, nerite snail or amano shrimps eat it. There is none on the plants, rocks or glass. My platies peck at it but it doesn't come off like the white algae that is common on the wood. Trying to avoid scraping it off as the wood has too many nooks and crannies to get it all out and it grows back eventually. But if there is no choice i may have to. Also if possible i'd like to avoid chemicals but if nothing else helps, i would use them.

20 gallon tank , pH 7.6, ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5-20ppm is what i have. Lights (basic led lights that come with the hood) are on for 7 hours a day and if i lower the intensity or duration my plants start dying off. I am dosing with co op easy green (2-3 times a week)and co op liquid CO2 (every other day). Not sure if its black beard algae because it doesn't touch plans and it comes off easy. It's just very unsightly. Any help appreciated. Attached pic below
For a 20 gallon, I don't know if a BN pleco would be the best choice. I recommend some nerite snails, just place them on the wood and they'll go to work. They're great algae eaters but sometimes they may need assistance to reach the bad spots. Just be prepared for the eggs.

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's Black Beard Algae (BBA). Very few things will eat it. Spot dosing with Excel can help to control it.

OP
milankosaurus

milankosaurus

Reaction score
Madchild57 said:
For a 20 gallon, I don't know if a BN pleco would be the best choice. I recommend some nerite snails, just place them on the wood and they'll go to work. They're great algae eaters but sometimes they may need assistance to reach the bad spots. Just be prepared for the eggs.
I already said nerite snail doesnt eat it

GlennO said:
It's Black Beard Algae (BBA). Very few things will eat it. Spot dosing with Excel can help to control it.
Black beard algae grows on plants as well and its hard to scrub off. If it is indeed BBA only way to remove it is how?

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes it's a bit odd that it's not on your plants as well but it's definitely BBA. You can scrape it off driftwood but it's difficult to do without spreading it throughout the tank and it will grow back. The only long term success I've had controlling it is by dosing it with Excel.

Valleriani

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Use Flourish Excel. Stuff is amazing. You use a syringe and douse areas. I normally do double dosage when it's bad for the first few days and it doesn't seem to have any effect on my shrimp or snails. You do a 50% water change, then do a heavier amount as specified for that time, then daily dosage. I often stop using excel when it's no longer needed but some people will continue afterwards for a daily thing to keep the algae away.

It will probably take 2-4 weeks to clear up. Maybe more, it's a slower process but it should work. You should use excel just before turning on the lights.

I also suggest splitting up the light to two 3.5 hour intervals with a few hours break in between. I.E Lights on for 3.5 hours in the morning,break in the afternoon for 4 hours, then turn on the lights for another 3.5 hours at night. It's going to be hard in general to get rid of BBA probably with a 7 hour interval, if there's any way to lower it at least for a couple weeks to 5-6 hours it would probably help with removing the algae faster. Worst case if the plants aren't really rooted you could move them to another tank and then lower the lighting to try to get rid of it. The risk is though if theres BBA on the plants you could cause it to spread, which might be a pain in the ass.

Excel is just a remedy though. Once you stop using it if your tank is still unbalanced it'll just come back though. I don't know enough about that sort of stuff though 8)

OP
milankosaurus

milankosaurus

Reaction score
GlennO said:
Yes it's a bit odd that it's not on your plants as well but it's definitely BBA. You can scrape it off driftwood but it's difficult to do without spreading it throughout the tank and it will grow back. The only long term success I've had controlling it is by dosing it with Excel.
If i was able to nig enough pot and boil it for an hour or two would it kill the algae? Would it grow back after a while?

Valleriani said:
Use Flourish Excel. Stuff is amazing. You use a syringe and douse areas. I normally do double dosage when it's bad for the first few days and it doesn't seem to have any effect on my shrimp or snails. You do a 50% water change, then do a heavier amount as specified for that time, then daily dosage. I often stop using excel when it's no longer needed but some people will continue afterwards for a daily thing to keep the algae away.

It will probably take 2-4 weeks to clear up. Maybe more, it's a slower process but it should work. You should use excel just before turning on the lights.

I also suggest splitting up the light to two 3.5 hour intervals with a few hours break in between. I.E Lights on for 3.5 hours in the morning,break in the afternoon for 4 hours, then turn on the lights for another 3.5 hours at night. It's going to be hard in general to get rid of BBA probably with a 7 hour interval, if there's any way to lower it at least for a couple weeks to 5-6 hours it would probably help with removing the algae faster. Worst case if the plants aren't really rooted you could move them to another tank and then lower the lighting to try to get rid of it. The risk is though if theres BBA on the plants you could cause it to spread, which might be a pain in the ass.

Excel is just a remedy though. Once you stop using it if your tank is still unbalanced it'll just come back though. I don't know enough about that sort of stuff though 8)
How do you dose it? Straight on the areas that have algae while the wood is in the tank?

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
milankosaurus said:
If i was able to nig enough pot and boil it for an hour or two would it kill the algae? Would it grow back after a while?
Boiling it should definitely kill it. But it will return if conditions are right for it.

Valleriani

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
milankosaurus said:
How do you dose it? Straight on the areas that have algae while the wood is in the tank?
Straight on the areas that have algae with a syringe yes. Once you have it going and sorted you can use it afterwards just in the water, but a focused blast of it often works faster for killing it.

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Assuming that your current liquid CO2 is gluteraldehyde you can use that for spot dosing instead of buying Excel which is the same thing.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom