Anything That Eats Snails And Can Fit In A 5 Gallon And Won’t Eat Anything Else?

Sage Exotics

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I got a pea puffer for my 5 gallon tank but he has since passed. I had exactly ten feeder snails leftover and there were no eggs at all (the snails were still just barely juveniles), I put one in my 30 gallon and let the others stay. I told myself I’d remove them before they lay eggs, of course I didn’t do that. So now I have a snail problem. The only inhabitant is a red cherry shrimplet. I’ve been removing the snails by hand and will continue to do this of course, all the traps I saw online would catch my shrimplet, too. I looked into things that would eat snails and came across:
Pea puffer; would eat my shrimp
Clown loach; HUGE
Assassin snail; could potentially eat my shrimp
Anything I could put in there? I can’t put my shrimplet in my 30 gallon cause my frogs would eat him. Also the snails are ramshorn and pondsnails (or bladdersnails I can’t tell). Suggestions?

AWheeler

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Another 5 gallon tank...put the shrimp in the new tank, and get a pea puffer for the 5 gallon tank you already have. That is the only thing I can think of...other than totally breaking down the tank (keep the shrimp in a little container while you clean out the 5 gallon tank), throw away substrate, bleach dip any plants, etc.

OP
Sage Exotics

Sage Exotics

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmmm. I can’t really get another tank right now (my mom would kill me and I spent all my money on a 30 gallon). I guess I’ll just keep removing them by hand and hope they go away. Thanks anyways.

OP
Sage Exotics

Sage Exotics

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I know there’s a lot of controversy over whether Assassin snails actually eat shrimp or not, but I don’t want to take the risk. I might look into it.

Tsin21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have assassin snails with cherry shrimps. I haven't seen them attacking the shrimps though I've read somewhere that they target the newly molted ones. I'm not bothered though since I have a large population of shrimps and my tank is heavily planted.

OP
Sage Exotics

Sage Exotics

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well I only have one red cherry shrimplet, he is a high grade shrimp and the place a got him from was... not somewhere I wanna visit again. Since he’s a shrimplet he’ll be molting a lot so like I said, don’t wanna risk it. Thanks!
Here’s a pic, (ignore the pink gravel I was like 2-3 when my parents got me this), he’s only a centimetre and a half right now. He was only like a week old when I got him, I actually got two. One died, I also got three cardinal tetras from that place and one of them died. I could go on forever about that place but just thought you should know that I got some fish from there and they died.

Attachments

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
He's beautiful. Other than totally breaking down the tank, unfortunately, you are limited due to the shrimp's safety. You could put in some fresh veggies and pull them out when covered with snails, and then just be careful to not pull the shrimp out with them, but that probably won't get all of them.

OP
Sage Exotics

Sage Exotics

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmmm... ok, I think I’ll wait till he’s fully grown, then put him in my 30 gallon. My frogs won’t eat adults so he’ll be fine. Then I can get a pea puffer! I really love those guys, so I think it’s the best route.

Pringlethesnail

Well Known
Reaction score
You could also put the shrimp in a ziplock temporarily remove all the substrate and throw it out. Scrub it, and then fill it, New substrate or bare bottom and put shrimp back. I’ve done that before. Assassins is really not a good solution for your problem they need a bigger tank and do not really like to eat MTS they prefer rams, pond, mystery snails. I also dumped boiling water over the decorations in the sink.

New Threads