Anything nice about Chinese Algae Eaters?

Jonathan P
Boy these guys really have a bad rap. Most things I read just say stay away.

While mine isn't all that aggressive - primarily to just my longest fin angel. He really leaves everyone else alone and does a decent job as part of my cleaning crew. (His/her picture is the last one in the picture section of this forum)

Doesn't anyone have anything else nice to say or some nice photos? I guess I just like the underdog sometimes.

Wolfgang8810
I have no idea what you are talking about

sirdarksol
He's talking about the Chinese Algae Eaters (it's hard to tell, because most of us don't search by section, we search by "new post").
Never had one, but I've heard that, once they grow, they're a huge risk to pretty much all of the other fish in the tank. There have, however, been a few people whose CAE has continued to eat algae well into adulthood.

Gozer_1
Sorry I haven't got a good thing to say. They'll eat some algae till they get lazy and develop a taste for fish slime coat. Yeah, some get along fine but personally every one I've had was a devil. I'll never own another. The last one died recently and I think he was to busy being a jerk or just to lazy to eat. He was old but still.

Jonathan P
Thanks for the heads-up sirdarksol. I'll try and make my subject line more specific so that all can tell what I'm saying.

I guess so far I've only had 2 CAEs and the first one didn't live long enough to get big and lazy. Might be why I still like them. So far still doing his/her job. Maybe the fact that it is smaller than my cory cats and pretty much everything else in the tank is helping. Plus it was the last addition to the tank. Once in a while I have to think positively.

Hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones and have the "one" friendly, mellow one.

If not, I will take him back to the lfs. If they I can't get store credit. Oh well, he/she has done right by my tank so far. And it will have a chance to find a good home.

susitna-flower
I for one will never have another CAE!!!!

The one I had was the ONLY fish I ever had that truly was EVIL.

You could just see it in his eyes. He would lay around, and watch the other fish, then jump out and attack them. I don't like a tank that is stressed in that fashion. When I asked the LFS if they would take him back, the lady ask me if he was attacking other fish, because if he was they didn't want him!

So, I was setting up a new tank and decided to use him to "cycle the tank", Not intending to cause him harm, but the tank didn't have a top yet, and even though he hadn't jumped in the original tank, he jumped out and I found him on the floor, dead. Didn't cry a tear!

Gozer_1

They do have an Evil look in their eyes. Just waiting to harass someone.

voiceless_kat
I was sold 2 CAE as otos by Walmart. They were to go into my betta tanks with Wink and also with Tiny. At first they were fine, and I was happy with their cleaning, and how cute they looked peeking out of the "hollow log" decor.

Then I started to notice not much cleaning any more, chasing the bettas, and growing like a weed. I posted the pics, and sure enough, they were both CAE's.

Catching them was a nightmare, they are fast! I had to remove all decor and use 2 nets. I brought them over to the lfs in Minnesota and she put them into her big tank.

Dah to Walmart, sinced they were getting hosed by their supplier, they did not sell CAEs ever, and were selling these to everyone as otos. And they get to be huge..like 11 inches or somethig like that. YUK!

Once I got my otos, they are so totally different...and I too was very happy to get rid of them.

But if you like them, you should keep them, whatever works for you!

Val

darkwolf29a
We have three, currently. They are in the new tank, with some corys and a Kissing Gourami. They were sold to us as golden algae eaters. I have had no issues with them yet, but they are still small. So, we'll see what happens as they get bigger.

Jonathan P
Have to eat my words. My golden decided that the long tail of my koi angelfish was his the best food in the tank. He ended up chasing the one angel relentlessly.

I have returned it to the lfs and replaced it.

Live and learn.

darkwolf29a
I found a few more sites about them, and...to be honest, they ended up as Oscar snacks. The big one had started chasing my corys...and they weren't happy about that. So, I did the best thing I could think of.

gremlin
I have had 9 chinese algae eaters over the years. I guess I must be one of the lucky ones because I have never had one attack another fish or stop eating algae. I will say that they require a LOT of space. Once they reach about 2 - 3 inches long, they need to be in at least 50 gallons as they are very active. they also need at least 2 or 3 hidey holes that they will 'defend' from all other fish. Once they reach 3 inches in length, they will polish off approximately 1/2 cup worth of solid algae a night. I wonder if part of the aggression issue with these fish is lack of space, food (the algae should be long enough for them to suck it off as they don't really scrape it off), and hidey holes (so they can feel safe). I will continue to have algae eaters as long as I have a pond because they do a better job than any other clean up crew I have ever had.

sirdarksol
You might be right, gremlin, that having them in a pond has made a difference in their behavior.

gremlin
You might be right, gremlin, that having them in a pond has made a difference in their behavior.

yeah - I think it really does make a difference if they are housed properly. They just like their space and privacy.

KittieKat
it is true that as they age their aggression increases yet this is true for many other fish as well.. rainbows, redtails.. anything really... I would also have to agree that if given plenty of room they should be okay, again like any other semI aggressive or aggressive fish..

however I do have one good thing to say about them... I think they are adorable.. very cute as babies and cute as adults... mean but none the less cute.. :

gremlin
I love the way my adults would suck on the end of my finger - not hard, just to hold on.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HunterChampion
Replies
Views
barandemir09
Replies
Views
fishkeepinginaisa
Replies
Views