Anything I should do for new water while tank cleaning?

Russell
I am a newbie when it comes to anything fish. I don't want to accidently kill my fish after I clean the tank a put new water into the tank, is there anything that I have to do to the new water before adding to the tank.

tzqng8
As you are adding the water, if you use city tap water, make sure to add water conditioner, like Prime. Hope that helps.

Welcome to Fishlore!

Suave
WELCOME TO FISHLORE!

did you clean the tank with soap? because soap is poisonous to the fish. when you add new water make sure to use water conditioner to get rid of anything that may be toxic to the fish (e.g. chlorine)

Russell
ok, that's what I thought. But I wanted to make sure. Thank you.

Russell
No, the tank is already set up. I am just cleaning the poo my pleco has made with a vacuum tube, and I was wondering if I needed to do anything to the little amount of water that will need to be replaced.

Shawnie
do you have city water or well water??

prime is a great addition to all water as well as stress coat...

tzqng8
My pleasure. Let us know if you have any other questions. We'll be happy to help if we can (and there is always someone who can).

Russell
city water

angelfish220
DO NOT clean your tank with soap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me say it again

DO NOT CLEAN YOUR TANK WITH SOAP!!

It can leave a residue that will kill fish for years to come.

if you want to sterilze your tank, clean it with a pure chlorine water solution. Then when you fill it with water for your fish, put in exra water conditioner, and that will take care of residue bleach and chorine in your water.

angelfish220
isnt this the secound thread on this topic that you started?

Please, just make one thread, it will get answered there is no need to make duplicate threads.

Shawnie
theres too many threads going around about the same topic...you have answers all over the place

Russell
I know, and I feel bad about it. I new to all this

COBettaCouple
Welcome to Fishlore.

Devon
What size tank do you have, and what is it stocked with? It must be a very new tank indeed if you haven't done a water change yet; did you perform a nitrogen cycle before adding your fish?

With a new tank you will want to do very frequent water changes, otherwise you don't have to do it every single day, but you will want to be sure to try and get the new (replacement) water as close to the temperature as the water in the tank as possible, treat it with prime or some other water conditioner to neutralize the chemicals, and possibly prep the water in other ways depending on what kind of fish you have.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Lucy
Looks like everyone has you covered, so welcome to Fish Lore.

Edit: Oh saw your aquarium info it states you have a betta and pleco so far, what kind of pleco? Some can grow rather large.
I would highly recommend not adding community fish in with your betta.
Most times, they don't play well with friends.
Good luck.

russ757
hey you stole my name lol:rofl

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoughBoy93090
Replies
Views
Mongo75
Replies
Views