Anything I can do with a tank without a filter?

1. F

FishtailBraid Valued Member Member

So I bought a small (15L) tank on sale, anticipating getting a betta, but it turns out my college only allows "small tanks, not big ones with a pump". I was planning on just keeping the tank until I move somewhere else, but in the meantime, is there anything else I can do with it that doesn't require a filter? Like just have water plants or something?

2. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

3. TreBall13

TreBall13 New Member Member

A betta will do fine in a tank without a filter. Just change the water every couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Will they allow sponge filters?

5. OP
    OP
    F

FishtailBraid Valued Member Member

I have to admit I don't know exactly what a sponge filter is. From the college's use of the word "pump", I assume that their issue is with the power usage so the type of filter probably doesn't change things. :(

6. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Sorry but I have to disagree. I can not think of a single fish that can live without a filter.
    FishtailBraid Have you ever heard of opae ula? They are a small hawaiian shrimp which is almost indestructible. They can live without a filter but are best kept with one.

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

While I'm not very versed in it, I believe the Walstad method does not use a filter, but instead counts on live plants and a low bioload.

8. t

tabshire95 Valued Member Member

I have a biotope type tank. Heavily planted 2 gallon with 12 red cherry shrimp. It's y favorite tank honestly because I spend a ton of time aquascaping it. It's really been a pleasure to grow it into something worth staring at. Fits perfectly on my desk an the shrimp hve no problems!

9. t

tabshire95 Valued Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407255337.808002.jpg it's an old photo the tree is practically covered in Christmas moss now. And that's before the shrimp. But it works out perfect with an airstone.

10. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

I think if you got an undergravel filter they'd be okay with it. It'll be less than 15W per hour. So assuming 11 cents per KW, you're talking under 2 dollars a month.

11. K

KatherineL New Member Member

Heterandria formosa is an itty bitty livebearer pond fish. They're pretty hardy and you can probably breed a small colony in a nano planted tank as long as you keep up your weekly water changes and keep yourself from overfeeding. Wouldn't keep em with shrimp though. :)

12. Witchydesign

Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

A sponge filter is essentially a air pump with a sponge around it. So maybe they would allow that...

13. Linda4088

Linda4088 Valued Member Member

You can keep a Betta without a filter. It's done all the time. They even sell small Betta tanks that don't have filters with them.

14. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

:(

15. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I think every fish needs a filter, though. :(
    It either needs a filter or you need to do water changes every day which would be a pain. Plus the levels would never stabilize if you had to do a WC every day and there was ammonia in your tap like I have to deal with.
    Honestly fish deserve a clean, stable environment which only a filter can fully provide.
    The filter also holds bio media where bacteria grows to establish the tank. This meaning without a filter the bacteria would have to grow on decorations in the tank, instead. When you clean the tank, the bacteria on the decorations is disturbed. This provides an unstable cycle and if the tank is over cleaned, potentially throwing the tank into a cycle.

Filters serve many important purposes. :)

16. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

My Walstad tanks use filters because I have them, instead of the powerheads that most use. Also mine are small and it's hard to find powerheads small enough for the tanks. Really in a well planted tank, the filter is only for water movement.

OP should find out exactly what the school's requirement on filtration is. When I read that, I assumed they meant you can't keep a 20 gallon or larger tank with a canister or sump. HOBs really don't use that much electricity and sponge filters use even less depending on the air pump you use.

It is totally possible to keep fish in a tank without a filter. But only if you do it properly. You could easily keep opae ula shrimp in this tank without a filter, as they don't like water movement. The algae required for them to feed from is plenty to oxygenate the water and keep it healthy. Unfortunately they're a bit pricey and can be hard to find.

You could keep a betta in there with live plants, but for that, you'd want at least a little water movement, so I'd suggest either small daily water changes/additions or a small 1 gallon air pump with an airstone.

Get back to us with your school's requirement and we might be able to suggest something else for the tank, assuming you're allowed to keep filtration of some kind (not a UG filter as they are a huge pain to clean and when not cleaned create anaerobic pockets).