Anything I Can Do To Make This Go Faster?

Katie13

Add some more used media. A pinch isn’t enough.

AquaticJ

4-6ppm is way too high at one time, I suggest only dosing to 1-2ppm, otherwise it's going to take a long long time (if it ever even cycles).

emmysjj

I used Tetra SafeStart Plus then I forgot to re-dose ammonia. Oops. So that probably died.
Katie13 said:
Add some more used media. A pinch isn’t enough.
Sorry, I meant to say I added a golfball sized amount
AquaticJ said:
4-6ppm is way too high at one time, I suggest only dosing to 1-2ppm, otherwise it's going to take a long long time (if it ever even cycles).
I didn't mean to dose that much, this cycle keeps going wrong lol.

SFGiantsGuy

Used media, used media used media. The nastier and more gross and brown, the better. : )

AquaticJ

I’d do a water change to lower the ammonia, because at 4 ppm it stalls, past 4ppm (not sure at what level exactly) it can start killing the bacteria. You gotta think, concentrated ammonia is a popular disinfectant. Obviously waaaay higher levels in a disinfectant, but you get my point

TexasGuppy

Temp to 82, pH to 7.8
Add a little fish food.

emmysjj

Thanks guys. My heater was being weird yesterday so I have to fix that.
Ill do a water change.
Is it safe to use latex gloves to remove media?

Hunter1

Sure.

I use my hands but maybe latex is better?

DarkOne

TexasGuppy said:
Temp to 82, pH to 7.8
Add a little fish food.
80-82°F is best for BB growth. Neutral pH (7.4-7.8). Keep ammonia under 5ppm. Most recommend 2-4ppm as it will stall over 5ppm (not 4ppm).

emmysjj

Bad news. My heater broke :banghead: heading to petsmart now to see what I can find.

DarkOne

emmysjj said:
Bad news. My heater broke :banghead: heading to petsmart now to see what I can find.
Buy online for in-store pickup so you get a better price. Or have them price match from their own website. The Aqueon 100w should be under $20.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom