Anything I can do for oto that won’t eat?

VSA
I have kept otos successfully before so I wanted to add them again to my tank. I decided to start with 2 and add more over time. In anticipation of them arriving, I let the glass cover in algae so they would have an easy time settling in.

I got them 5 days ago. One of them is doing great. It has a round belly and has also identified algae wafers as food and snacks on them. The other however has been struggling right from the beginning. It doesn’t seem to know how to eat. It hovers over glass but never seems to be able to suck on it. Often it frantically dashes from side to side but does nothing. It also cannot identify wafers as food. It is easy to tell them apart as this one is noticeably skinnier.

Is there anything I can do for it? I’m all out of ideas as it just doesn’t seem to be able to feed on the glass and won’t identify wafers as food even when it’s buddy is right there in front of it going to town on the wafer.

Advertisement
cdwag29
I've never kept ottos so not entirely sure of their diet, but I blanch veggies for my kuhlis that they seem to love. Maybe something more enticing will convince him to eat, and then you can slowly transfer him over to wafers. Cucumbers, zucchini and broccoli are all things I've had success with.

MonumentalMurderBean
Try some fresh veggies or even algae wafers, but soak them in a little water from the tank and some garlic extract. Garlic is an immune support, apetite stimulant and slime coat enhancer. I would also maybe treat for internal parasite, as that can be a reason that fish lose weight and do not eat.

VSA
Otocinclus still not finding wafers | Otocinclus Forum | 514189

Just one example of threads with a similar question. Use the search function once in a while, really helpful.

My question wasn’t specifically on how to make it eat wafers. My query was can I do anything for an oto that doesn’t know how to eat at all. My post mentioned it hasn’t eaten since day one when it had algae available on the glass of the tank.

MacZ
How about reading the rest of the thread I linked? People posted there that it's generally a problem with Otos and gave several options. As did I over and over again here on the forum.

Short answer: If it doesn't even try to eat at all, it's game over. The fish has either starved to the point of no return and/or might have fallen ill additionally. The usual survival rate of newly introduced Otocinclus is 50%. Depending on the status of the batch the chance of survival can be as low as 0-10% within the first 3 months.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
bitseriously
Replies
Views
pkr210
Replies
Views