Anything else in my african dwarf frog 5 gallon planted tank?

scorpioweeb

hello! so i have a 5 gallon planted tank with 5 sticks of lucky bamboo, recently added cardinalis, 2 african dwarf frogs, and 6 of those mini snails that are in some of the tanks at petsmart. i asked for a few and they just gave them to me, but im not sure what they're technically referred to. im wondering a few things for the start of my aquarist journey.

do i need to know anything about pH/ammonia concerns? i hear that african dwarf frogs don't need much maintenance when coming to pH but snails could have some effect? im also wondering if anything can be added to my tank! im considering getting 2-4 red cherry shrimp, but if there's any fish anyone recommends im open to that as well of course. a friend suggested maybe some neon tetras, but i assume it might be too small because they're schooling and require 6 fish. my ADFs are very active at night, and id like for them to become part of a community.

fair warning, im not in the position to change my entire tank setup, so please don't suggest upgrading. if you think my tank is already stocked and i should consider moving onto a different tank or chilling for a bit then that's fine too! thank you so much!

Lucy

Hi welcome to FishLore!

It wouldn't be a good idea to add anything else to the tank.
Keep a close eye on the water parameters and be diligent with the water changes.

It would help to know what kind of snails you have(some can grown very large ad produce a lot of waste) but I guess it doesn't really matter since you've already rejected any suggestion other than the status quo.

African dwarf frogs are delightful! Enjoy them!

scorpioweeb

Hi welcome to FishLore!

It wouldn't be a good idea to add anything else to the tank.
Keep a close eye on the water parameters and be diligent with the water changes.

It would help to know what kind of snails you have(some can grown very large ad produce a lot of waste) but I guess it doesn't really matter since you've already rejected any suggestion other than the status quo.

African dwarf frogs are delightful! Enjoy them!
unfortunately i dont even know what type they are :( theyre just the small little snails that are free from petsmart if you ask. and sorry, yeah im just not in a position where i can get a bigger tank. but im fine with not adding anything more.

AlphaFish

Bladder snails, ramshorn snails or pond snails. Those are pest snails that you can find pretty much anywhere and they can take over a tank really quickly. That's why they're free.

Lucy

Possibly malasian trumpet snails as well. If you get 1 you get 100.

MasterPython

What kind of lid do you have that works with lucky bamboo?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
Replies
Views
CalicoColored
Replies