20 Gallon Tank Anything else I can get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I currently have a 20 gallon with 6 platies, 1 betta (which will be moving as soon as I can buy at least a new 5 gallon), and 1 mystery snail. Anything else I can add?

I tried to add 2 otos since the tank is pretty old now, but they just disappeared. :-[

Thanks.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd go with corys. They'll round out your tank with bottomdwellers, have lots of personality and won't compete with the platys for swimming space.

ETA: upside down catfish get to be about 4" and need to be kept in groups, so I don't think you have the space. http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=73

-Lisa

Last edited:
OP
F

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aren't there different types of cories? And how big are they? I don't think I have a lot of floor space in the 20 gallon if they're too big.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have 4 corys in a 20gH and they are happy. i think they'll get to be about 2, 2.5 inches. they are quite amusing! there are different types, but most are the same size. i have peppered.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are several different types of corys which can range in size from about .75-1 inch for the pygmy corys to 3.5-4 inches for the emerald green or sterba's corys. Most of the commonly found types are 2-2.5 inches in length. Here are a few of the commonly available species.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recommend the cories as well I love mine (albino) they're (maybe 2inches?) pretty small despite eating EVERYTHING lol. They are all over the tank, sometimes together, sometimes not, and as I have a sand substrate they are constantly digging in the sand. ADORABLE. I have platies in the tank w/ them and they all seem quite happy together. But I mean, platys seem to get along w/ everyone

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i disagree, plecos are bigger waste producers, and i think the bristlenose need driftwood also. plus imo, corys are much cuter
I agree. Plecos do much better in a tank bigger than 20 gal. Tho perhaps a rubberlips pleco? They are pretty cool w/ their big old lips. I dunno, the one pleco I had I managed to kill not knowing they need a big tank poor guy.

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've got four Panda Cories and they are awesome. We have a lot of rock cover in our 27 hex so they hide alot during the day, but they come out to play during dinner time . I also have a albino bristlnose in the tank they get along great.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jeez, what a bunch of pleco haters! The Bn pleco's only get between 4-6 inches, and the albino's only to about 4. The may poo a lot, but their the best algae eaters around!:;bb
I agree. I really like my Bristlenose, he is really cool. His bristles waves in the water when he's just hanging out. While they do produce a lot of waste, they do keep the tank clean.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm sorry, but I just can't get into snails. Found one baby in my 5 gallon, must have come of the new java fern I bought, and had to get it out right away.

I here the red cherry shrimps are pretty awesome algae eaters, too. Their not suppose to have much of a bio load.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry, but I just can't get into snails. Found one baby in my 5 gallon, must have come of the new java fern I bought, and had to get it out right away.

I here the red cherry shrimps are pretty awesome algae eaters, too. Their not suppose to have much of a bio load.
I love my RCS! They are good algae eaters and have a very small bio load.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Red Cherry Shrimps, Ghost Shrimps and Amano Shrimps are some of the more common dwarf shrimps available. All are supposed to be good algae eaters and all have a small bio load. I wouldn't suggest adding the RCS while the betta is in the tank unless you don't mind losing some. Ghost Shrimps are a bit bigger and might be ok providing you have sufficient hiding spots. Amanos are the largest of the three and full grown they might be a bit much for your betta to do much more than pester them, but it would completely depend on your betta. Corys are not really algae eaters so much as they are scavengers who prefer to feed on fish food which falls to the bottom of the tank. They also have a relatively low bio load so you should be fine with a small school of them. Bristlenose Plecos are one of the smaller species of Pleco, but I personally would prefer them in something larger than a 20g. That being said, a 20 IS the minimum sized tank listed for them on many profiles so you should be able to have one in your tank providing you have sufficient filtration to handle their rather large bio load. The Pleco would probably blow right through any algal growth in that sized tank pretty darn quickly so you'll need to supplement his diet fairly regularly. Of course, there's nothing that says you HAVE to get bottom dwellers, I simply think it would balance out your tank better since you already have fish that fill in the top and middle. Of those 3 options I would personally go with either the shrimps or the corys over the pleco.

And for the record, I'm hardly a pleco hater! LOL! I would be willing to trade my husband for a tank sufficiently sized to house a JD and a common pleco, but that's a whole other story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom