Anyone's betta seem to prefer small tanks?

1. Tiph8uh5knee Member Member

I've had my betta for over a year and he's been in a 5 gallon, 10 gallon, and now back in the 5 gallon. He's never appeared that happy. I thought he made a bubble nest one time but I think maybe it was just the new filter I used. He has a betta leaf and a floating betta log. I do have mopani drift wood in there, too. I used to have plants but after having some issues I thought it best to get rid of them and I plan to get more, but atm there isn't any in there. He basically stays next to the leaf unless it's feeding time. I thought maybe the filter was too strong so got a sponge filter but nothing has changed...
    Anyway, I'm getting side tracked here....
    My point was that maybe he feels like there's too much room or something. So I was wondering if anyone had a betta in a bigger (for a betta) tank and then move them to maybe a 3 gallon and they do much better?

2. Kalyn Member Member

I actually have had the reverse experience. :/

I have moved a female betta around-- From a 20gallon to a 10 and she was glass-surfing for at least a week. Once I temporarily placed her in a gallon Tupperware while I was deep cleaning, and she immediately tried to jump out. XD

3. Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

I think a 5 gallon is the perfect size for a betta, and definitely not to big. It may be that there is something wrong with it. What are your parameters? And what tail type is he?

4. Tiph8uh5knee Member Member

I don't know my parameters off hand, but if I get time tomorrow I'll check them. He is a crowntail.

5. Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

Ok. Some times bettas with BIG tails are a bit lazier, and prefer smaller tanks, but sense your's is a crowntail thats probably not the problem.

6. Kalyn Member Member

I do know that not having cover or hiding spaces can stress them out a little. :)

7. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

I've only had my bettas in 10G tanks, but they use every inch. I can't imagine them in anything smaller, and actually if I had an appropriate space for larger tanks, I'd upgrade them both to 20G long tanks. I'd look at environmental issues first - you say that you only have a floating log, a betta leaf, and some driftwood in the tank. I wonder if he feels to exposed? What was the issue that made you remove the plants you had? How many plants did you have? I don't think they would be stressed with too much room, I'm not sure there is such a thing.

8. Euro Member Member

I have had this happen. I got a betta in a rescue situation who was in a 20L, so I put him in m 20L and he hid constantly (even though my 20 L is heavily planted, cycled and mature and has plenty of additional hiding places as well as perfectly fine water parameters. And he was by himself to boot so it wasnt like there were other fish in there to bully him) he acted very contrary to what I normally experience from a betta. He had been in the 20L for about 4 months when I moved him so it wasn't shock from being transported. so I moved him to a 4 gallon because I wanted to use my 20L for my sorority and he suddenly got a personality? He would greet my every morning, he even learned to eat off my finger and suddenly he displayed and forraged and used every inch of that tank instead of cowering in the corner. so -shrugs- sometimes it happens I guess?