anyone with specific experience with Aqueon?

haedra

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I did a few web searches, and could not find specifically what I was looking for.

I have an Aqueon power filter 10. It has a plastic grid that the manufacturer claims is where the beneficial bacteria will colonize.

Now, I had a brief discussion with a Petco employee. Keep in mind, I take much of what pet store (especially chains) employees say with a grain of salt.

My questions related to how much of the beneficial bacterial colonies really did exist on that blue "bio grid." The employee told me, that while all the filter manufacturers for whatever reasons will tell you to change the media every month (which isn't prudent), that in the case of the Aqueon with its bio grid you could change the media bag without experiencing a mini cycle; as long as you left the bio grid alone.

So my question is, does anyone have any specific experience to confirm or deny this? Aside from having to empty wet carbon from my filter cartridge (because I was a carbon/filter noob), I have no reason to replace anything. I am mostly wondering for future reference.

cerianthus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bacterial colonies are everywhere w/i tank. B/bags for Whisper filter with same/similar concept worked w/o mishap. reusing plastic frame.
You should not experience mini cycle if tank is not disturbed at the time of cartridge replacement. Another words, do not replace the cartridges during routine maintenance such as waer changes, rather replace the media in b/n water changes thus less disturbances at one time. This, of course, is with the understanding that tank is not overstocked and/or overfed.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
To specifically answer your question: it would depend on the amount of surface area on this grid. If it's just a simple, 1/4" plastic grid, it probably can't hold much. On the other hand, if it's a multi-layered 1/4" plastic grid, it could hold more. Sponges are generally better choices, which is why Whisper comes with a sponge for bio-media and the bag for chemical and physical media (this post is going to ignore the discussion about whether or not chemical media is necessary). The mesh bag pulls big gunk out of the water. The AC pulls small gunk out of the water. The sponge holds the majority of the bacteria needed to pull the ammonia out of the water. Of course, the bag and AC are also colonized by the bacteria, but if you're changing them out as Whisper suggests, the sponge will be holding up the majority of the work, as it has long been colonized.

cerianthus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well said, but even before sponges were added, did not experience any NH3, NO2 spike as long as one replace it properly. Only disavantages of using sponges as bio media and the location, is that it traps too much detritus which will need more rinsing. I would personally place the bio media after the mechanical/chemical media thus less maintenance on the bio media. Any bio media requiring less maintenance is better system. Even Millennium Filter had Bio Media in the back of Mech/Chem media which requires constant rinsing. IMO, they should have placed any bio media after mech/chem media as done with W/D, at least Mech media (prefilter foam and micron pads).

haedra

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
cerianthus said:
I would personally place the bio media after the mechanical/chemical media
That's where it is on all of the Whispers I have. There's a slot for the bag of AC, and then space for the sponge "downstream" of that.

haedra

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you think all things considered, that this might be a fairly good filter then?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not a horrible one, not a great one. I'd probably put it on par with the Whispers (which are what I have in most of my aquaria, because they're simple, easy to use, and don't break down very easily.)

Jizzy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've had my Aqueon for about a year and a half now and I like it. I notice that it clears up debris faster than my Aquaclear. I've hadn't had any problems with the filter so far.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom