Anyone with blue eyed red neon rainbows?

ShastaDaisy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m wondering if anyone has these, and how your experience has been with them?
love them?

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don’t have them, but I would love to get them in the future. I know that the males can get a little territorial and I heard that they do best in a species only tank, but I think they’ll be just fine in a community tank.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just to verify, are we talking about Pseudomugil luminatus? It is known as the Red Neon Blue Eye. Was sold for a while as Sp. "Red Neon".

I have kept and bred the species, fairly easy to care for. Might be OK in a Nano setup with other very small species. Mine were in a 10 gallon tank with a raft of Riccia to breed in. Fry just popped out of the plants when they got big enough. Tank was bare bottom, as they tend to stay in the very top few inches of the tank anyway.

OP
ShastaDaisy

ShastaDaisy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes, pseudomugil luminatus. OK, do you think they’d be OK in a planted 30 gallon with some panda Corydoras and honey Gouramis? I had to look that plant up, that’s awesome! Floating Moss?! I’m just curious, do they tend to shoal all together? I understand to get at least six? I have looked them up and done some reading, but find there’s not as much information on them as there is on other species of fish

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I started with two pair, and eventually the fry made the group a little bigger, but they tended to spread out a bit. Mine did not have room to shoal, it was only a 10, and intended for breeding purposes. A 30 gallon tank would be a great tank for a half dozen or more. Panda Cories should not be any worry, and I think a couple of Honey Gouramis might be all right.

californiascape

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have 8 in my 17g at the moment and I'm loving them. I will be adding more soon. The males display daily and I found some fry hiding in the tank too. These fish have the coolest behavior, they're always doing something different whenever I look in the tank. Interesting that chromedome's blue eyes stayed in the upper inches of the tank, mine are all over the place in my tank.

As for parameters, mine are tolerating and breeding in 7.6 ph, gh 7, kh 6. I'd prefer to keep them in a bit softer water though. I keep mine in a high-tech tank and they are okay with the fluctuations that come with that type of setup.

Another thing I've noted is that they love flow! They often seek out the high-flow parts of the tank and school together there for a while before dispersing again to go display at each other or look for food in the plants.

(Not to thread-hijack, but chromedome if you see this, I'd really love tips on raising and feeding luminatus fry! My messages are always open)

New Threads