Anyone with advice on Malawi Bloat

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by hssea, Nov 27, 2012.

1. hssea

hssea Well Known Member Member

Hasn't been a good couple of days. My mbuna tank that has been doing so well...took a horrible turn. Lost 2 male mbamba's on back to back days, following that noticed females had swollen bellies and won't come out to swim. Couple of labs have hair like poop. SColofi's look unaffected. Looked up these symptoms and sounds like Malawi Bloat. Started on Metronidazole today. Stopped feeding for now. Removed carbon. Spent a lot of money ordering these fish and done everything by the book. Very distressing.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Going to bed....i'm exhausted. Will ck back in the morning.

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

What are you feeding them?

3. RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

Just continue what you're doing and quarantine them if you can. Continue to treat with Metronidazol, don't feed them at all and hopefully they will be fine.

4. OP
    OP
    hssea

I was feeding them three times a day, what they could eat in 30 seconds.
    Foods API tropical greens (33% protein), Cobalt cichlid flakes (44% protein), spirulina flakes and zuchinnie every four days.

5. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Three times a day!!!!???? Wow! I have 24 Mbunas and I only feed mine once a day and that's enough for them. I even fast mine every Friday (once a week). I truly think that you're overfeeding them.

I'd seriously consider cutting down on the amount of times you feed them. :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    hssea

I think your right. Everything else--water quality, environment is correct. During my research prior to getting them I read about several small feedings in decrease aggression....that's how I came up with the x3 per day. My community fish get feed twice a day. I do fast everyone on Sunday.

Also I don't think now that I was feeding enough fresh greens.

Very disheartening ....I did so much research on the mbuna's but didn't really get the diet requirments in regarding how much.

7. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about a few of your Mbunas passing. I do love 'em... My favorites of all fishes (along with some Catfishes and Sharks).

The aggression is going to happen. I overcrowd my 75 Gallon with the Mbunas for that reason as most others experienced with them will note that as well. That way the aggression is towards more than one rather than the aggressor targeting just one or two and bullying them to death.

Hopefully that makes sense.

8. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

The only fish I feed that often are my breeders. That's a lot :D

9. OP
    OP
    hssea

10. RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

I added juvies to my tank with full grown Mbuna, including some Melanachromis. I never saw a problem with it.

The way I figure the bigger fish don't consider the small ones a threat and the only reason Mbuna are aggressive is for territory and mating. So why attack a smaller fish that is not a threat against either of those 2 things. The smaller fish usually ate a lot and grew very fast. Way faster than my juvies all did when they grew up as the only fish in the tank. I figure it's to compensate and be able to compete with the larger fish in the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice