Anyone With A Fluval 406 Or 407 ?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Dechi, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

I would like to buy a Fluval 407 this week (406 is the same height) but I’m not sure it would fit under my aquarium tank, as far as height is concerned.

Would anyone be kind enough to measure theirs and tell me how much room I need for it, including the aqua valve stop, the tubing and enough room to use the self-primer easily ?

Thank you ! :)

2. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

From a quick search on the Fluval web site.

407 Performance Canister Filter, up to 100 US Gal (500 L)
    SKU: A449 | UPC: 015561104494
    Format: 50-100 US Gal (150-500 L) / 9.5 L x 7 W x 19.3 H" (24 L x 18 W x 49 H cm)

Very expensive for what you get.

3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I have a 406 and the height is around 20" to the white tubes where the corrogated tube attached to on the aquastop valve and about 10" wide and about 8.5" front to back. Pretty much exactly what Cichlidude found.

4. OP
    OP
    Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Thank you, I saw those numbers but they don’t tell you how much additional space you need for the valve, the tubing and room for priming.

I know it’s really expensive and I would really like to find something else, but honestly I’ve looked at all options and can’t find anything.

I just returned a Eheim pro 4+ that was too noisy. I’m waiting for my money back (hopefully) to buy something else.

My main criterias :

Silent (it’s in my leaving room)
    Self-priming
    Spray bar attachment
    Easy to maintain
    No cheap plastic (so it won’t leak)
    Powerful filtration

Thank you very much ! When you prime, do you need to go higher than those 20 inches ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2019
  5. kallililly1973

I have the 206 and 406 and they are both very silent. As far as the Aquastop valve i had to replace the one on my 406 from it dripping out of the side. I contacted Fluval and they sent me a new one for free. Also if you go with this brand be sure to have an extra O-ring on hand. Incase after filter maintainence it drips from the canister and head unit. ( i didn't have this issue but heard it can happen )

6. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

7. kallililly1973

No the primer is a small knob that you pull and push and it doesn't go above the white connectors on the Aquastop valve. My filter is under my 55 in a wide open DIY 2x4 stand.

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Thank you, I will buy an extra O’ring !

Yes, my profile is correct. I want a little more filtration than needed. More is more. At first I was considering the 307, than I figured I would be able to stock with bigger fish if I want to with the 407 (I was playing the AQ advisor and that’s how I got the idea).

SunSun scares me, lots of people complaining it leaks.

Polar Aurora, I can’t remember if it’s self-priming and offer the possibility of spray bar attachment. I’ll check it out again.

Thank you

Nice very planted tank !

9. kallililly1973

You should be able to DIY a spray bar on pretty much any canister filter with a piece of tubing using the correct size of the output connector.

10. GlennO

GlennOValued MemberMember

Would think with the 407 now on the market there should be some good deals around on the 406?

11. casuk

casukValued MemberMember

Is there an fx7 coming too

12. OP
    OP
    Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

I am very bad at making anything, and I have no tools. I can probably manage to make holes in the tubing but that’s about it, lol !

There going down about 50$ now. Fluval has fixed a few inconveniences on the 406 so I’d rather get the 407.

I haven’t seen any indication of a soon to be release date.

13. GlennO

Fair enough. What have they fixed? The only thing I'd change on mine is the ribbed tubing.

14. casuk

casukValued MemberMember

There wasn't much change between the fx5 and fx6 so I think there quite happy with the product as is

15. kallililly1973

I agree with the ribbed tubing but i think you can get other brand tubing to fit the valve. Aside from a hardware store. I tried using some from Home Depot on mine but the tubing was too thick. I wanted to add a Lily pipe. It worked but i wasn't comfortable with the way it held on the Aquastop valve. The only other thing that they hopefully improved is the Aquastop valve. It's the most important part of this filter and seems to be the weak link.

16. OP
    OP
    Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

The handle of the self-primer is supposed to be 7 times stronger. There is more room for fingers to lift the clamp of the aqua valve. I think the vertical foam in the filter has been improved to have more surface. It’s supposed to be 25% quieter, have more power and be more efficient.

They explain it in this video, particularly starting at 2:27

17. GlennO

Thank you. I'll admit that I go easy on the primer since I once broke one on a 305. Making it quieter is impressive, I can barely hear my 406.

Btw I checked out the new foam design, seems they also fit the 406, might given them a try next time I need replacements.

Screen_Shot_2019-04-12_at_1.44.53_pm__64594.1555042565.1200.1200.png

18. H2O Concierge

H2O ConciergeValued MemberMember

Sorry to hear about your noisy Eheim Pro 4+. I have 1 x 350 & 2 x 600's & 1x 2217 which are so quiet I need to touch them to tell they are running. Of course all outlets are under surface.

19. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

if an Ehiem is too loud our in trouble. I've run 22 sunsun 304b filters for 3 years and never had a leak. I've found all the 406 series and most likely the 7 series to have too many filter cartages that you can only buy from Fluval. If your going to buy a Fluval, look into the fx series, I have 7 fx 6 and them.

20. OP
    OP
    Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

The Fx6 is very expensive. The sunsun I’m afraid of. Some people love them and others say they’re cheap and leak.

I’m leaning towards the Hydor, but it’s not easy getting parts for them. So hard to decide... :-(