Anyone with a betta who.. enjoys flow?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Sarameow, Aug 2, 2015.

1. SarameowNew MemberMember

My son got his first Betta, Nahkeet, yesterday. We have him in a 5 gallon tank with an internal filter (it came with the tank so it is what it is). I baffled the filter with a sponge and it works nicely. It seems, however, that Nahkeet may... like some flow? He keep swimming under the filter intake... waiting until it starts to suck him a bit and then flitting out.. freaking me out. Then he goes up to the top and seems to try and find the area that has the most flow on the edge of the sponge and swim at it. Does he... want more flow? Should I unbaffle the filter? I could maybe add an airstone on the corner of the tank for some bubbles to play in... maybe he wants that? Maybe he's just being dumb and forgetting that the intake will suck at him?

2. junebugFishlore LegendMember

He's probably not doing it on purpose. The current from those filters catches their fins and pulls them in, then the flow from the output sends them flitting away.

3. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Mine loved the flow (current) in the 10g he lived in. He would literally ride the current from one side of the tank to the other, and then turn back around and start all over again. Is that similar to what yours is doing?

4. SarameowNew MemberMember

There really isn't much because of the baffle. He seems to seek out the really small area on the side of the sponge to catch a bit of the flow.

Should I be concerned of the intake and his fins? He just... KEEPS GOING RIGHT THERE. Like.. the one inch spot in the tank where it can happen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice