Anyone used these to test Ammonia? Question 

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi everyone,

I came across this product the other day whilst browsing for aquarium products. Anyone have experience with them? If they work they'd be awesome!

Attachments

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used to use the ammonia alerts. I liked them - they worked well.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jaysee said:
I used to use the ammonia alerts. I liked them - they worked well.
Yeah cool. I think I'll try some then. I thought people were going to say they are not very accurate like using test strips over an API Master Test Kit.

Thanks Jaysee.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys.
How long do they last? Are there different ones for Saltwater and Freshwater? I can see where it would be a good idea. Just a week ago I had an ammonia spike, even thou I found it I really don't know how long it was up. I guess I will be looking into these. Are there more brands than this one??

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ayelie said:
Hey guys.
How long do they last? Are there different ones for Saltwater and Freshwater? I can see where it would be a good idea. Just a week ago I had an ammonia spike, even thou I found it I really don't know how long it was up. I guess I will be looking into these. Are there more brands than this one??
They last a year apparently and can be used for both Saltwater or Freshwater. They are pretty cheap really. I'm going to try them.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The ammonia alerts last for a year, but I think the pH one lasts 6 months. Maybe not - I never looked into them.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I've tried both the pH and Ammonia Alerts. And, in my experience, they didn't work. I believe, however, that under the correct conditions that they could work well. The pH reading never changed, even though my tank was cycling and the pH was all over the place. So, not sure what happened there. And, the Ammonia Alert apparently doesn't work well in a low pH environment. The tank I had it in runs around 6.6 pH and always measured 0 ammonia. Once I received the API test kit in the mail, I found that this was not the case. I believe that the Ammonia Alert is not able to measure ammonium, which is the form of ammonia in low pH.

So, if you have a pH greater than 7.0, I'd think this product would work well. I've seen others with saltwater tanks give the Ammonia Alert a high rating.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine read ammonium. After water changes they would get a little green.

Couldn't tell you what my pH is, so I can't comment on that. I don't think I even have a pH test

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have 1 SeaChem Ammonia Alert in all of my tanks as a back up to API testing. I have two in my 265g, 1 in the tank and one in my wet/dry filter. The package states they are good for 1 year but I like to replace mine every 6 months. These ammonia alerts should show signs of ammonia before the test kit does if they are working properly. They should detect ammonia at a lower level than the kit.

However, I haven't had to deal with ammonia issues in my tanks so I can't say for certain that they work or not. I know they work when you hold them over a bottle of ammonia. They will, have, and should change colors if you try the ammonia test. (also stated on the package).

For me they are peace of mind being there for a back up. I think it's a good to have them for a quick spot check for ammonia. Peace of mind goes a long way in this hobby.

Ken

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the extra info Ken, Jaysee and Catsma. I have ordered a couple today.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Like Ken, I don't have issues with ammonia, which is why I stopped using them. The only way I knew hey were working is with the water changes, as well as when I switched substrates.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads