Anyone used phosguard to battle diatoms

michaelsf90

So I'm at the conclusion I am never going to get rid of diatoms completely. I have sand substrate and am also running crushed coral in the filter and have some small limestone rocks to buffer the ph and naturally add calcium to the tank for my snails. Very soft water round my way

Anyway phosguard seem to be a go to for many battling diatoms. I tested phosphates and its between 4 and 5ppm. Which I know is high. From the tap its between 3 and 4. I'm scared to used it as I've been told phosphates needs to be lowered gradually as to not shock the fish. Also plants needs phosphate so it could kill my plants. And if all algae in the tank dies then my snails will have no food. I have baby rabbit snails and I dont want to risk killing them or starving them

Could I dose say a quarter of the recommended amount or half and expect less diatoms? Some of my plants are getting destroyed when I rub the diatoms off

Tpane27

So I'm at the conclusion I am never going to get rid of diatoms completely. I have sand substrate and am also running crushed coral in the filter and have some small limestone rocks to buffer the ph and naturally add calcium to the tank for my snails. Very soft water round my way

Anyway phosguard seem to be a go to for many battling diatoms. I tested phosphates and its between 4 and 5ppm. Which I know is high. From the tap its between 3 and 4. I'm scared to used it as I've been told phosphates needs to be lowered gradually as to not shock the fish. Also plants needs phosphate so it could kill my plants. And if all algae in the tank dies then my snails will have no food. I have baby rabbit snails and I dont want to risk killing them or starving them

Could I dose say a quarter of the recommended amount or half and expect less diatoms? Some of my plants are getting destroyed when I rub the diatoms off
I have been battling diatoms for a little over a month. You clean it and it comes back within a few days/week. Phosguard worked for a little. You’re supposed to take it out around 4-5 days bc it stops working I believe. The first time it seemed to do the trick as no diatoms popped up for a week. I took it out and changed the phosguard to new phosguard. The diatoms slowly began creeping back up but not as quickly. Phosguard does work but not sure for long term use. Good luck!

Upvote 0

michaelsf90

Do you have live plants or invertebrates and did it affect your fish in any way?

Upvote 0

Tpane27

Do you have live plants or invertebrates and did it affect your fish in any way?
I had many live plants but the diatoms grew so much on them it would t come off fully so I ended up getting rid of them unfortunately. I have dwarf frogs that seem just fine with it and Corydoras who are good. I just purchased a bristlenose pleco who are great at eating this stuff so I can remove the phosguard in a few days. Some snails are supposed to be great eaters too

Upvote 0

michaelsf90

Nerites are suppose to be great for them. So I either have too many diatoms for the amount of snails or they're too busy munching another type of algae. The rabbit snails arent the best of algae eaters. I had otos that loved diatoms but unfortunately they all died

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MasterPython
  • Question
  • michaelsf90
  • Snails
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question