Anyone used one of these?

1. Bellatrix Member Member

I just stumbled onto this and I was wondering if anyone here has ever used one? If so, was it any good and did it help with the water?

https://www.onedersave.com

2. Nicoldeme Member Member

I have one of those. I kept it in my tank for a few months, and never had any issues with water quality. My tank was overstocked and uncycled, I suppose the stone helped a bit. I didn't have a test kit tough, so I didn't know for sure. I was also dealing with disease so fish death could've come from a huge number of things. You could give it a try a report back to us how well it does?

3. Bellatrix Member Member

Yes of course! :)

If they ship to the UK I'll get one. I'm having issues with a lot of surface bubbles and I'm wondering if it'll help.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It's basically filter media. I don't think it has any real advantages over a filter with media inside.

5. Beretta Initiate Member

Is this a new tank?

I'm wondering what others think is in this if it is just basically filter media.

6. Bellatrix Member Member

It's new yes. It's been cycled and I've had six WMCM in there for two weeks. The surface bubbles appeared after giving them a treat of bloodworm and even after a CWC they're still there. Not as bad but still gathering.
    Apparently it's volcanic and contains BB.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Lava rock will do the same thing, and I don't see how it contains viable BB already if it's dry. If they ship it to you wet, how do they keep the bacteria from dying?

Just saying that it seems unnecessary and a waste of money when other filter media will do the same thing.

8. Beretta Initiate Member

New tanks often have surface bubbles. They come from substrate and decor. Nothing to worry about. I would doubt adding the stone would have any positive or negative effects on the tank.

9. Nicoldeme Member Member

From reading the back of the box of my BioStone, it's a different kind of BB that does the same job as the usual, but when dry will go dormant? When put it water they supposedly become active again and will speed the process of cycling a tank.

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd be wary. There are some things sold as beneficial bacteria that actually won't properly cycle your tank - they end up dying after a few weeks and your tank has to cycle over again with the proper type of bacteria.

11. Bellatrix Member Member

All the chemicals we put in our tanks I'm less worried about some extra BB to be honest.

Plus it's not only for cycling a new tank it's to improve water quality in an already cycled tank. Apparently.

It's not that. It wasn't there when I first set the tank up and it wasn't there when I added the fish.

Like I stated it only appeared when I gave them dried bloodworm and it's not going away.

I don't know what it is but it's incredibly annoying for my OCD. I've read the same issue here on old threads but no one seems to know what it is.

I thought a CWC would obviously get rid of it but alas it hasn't, it's better but seemingly building up again. Maybe it's the filter media or sponge?

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You seem to be defending it, so it sound like your mind is made up. Again, I think it's a waste of money, but I hope it works for you!

For the bubble thing, can you remove them with a paper towel? You can always stop feeding freeze dried stuff and switch to frozen.

13. Bellatrix Member Member

I was merely stating what it said on the website. I wasn't "defending" it.

I only used the bloodworm one time and haven't used it since. The paper towel has no effect. They pop then come back.

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wasn't trying to be rude or offensive when I said that :)

I think it's unrelated to the bloodworm. How much surface agitation do you have?

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can you post a picture?

16. Bellatrix Member Member

I have a lot of movement in the surface as I have a Biorb.I can't post a photo because I'm on my phone but I did post photo's when I first opened the thread two weeks ago.

17. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Having used lava rock and pumice stone as filter media in my tanks I can share with you that if this media is similar to lava rock, It will make a great area for both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria to colonize, though eventually, anaerobic bacteria will outcompete aerobic due to build up of mulm and waste over the media a surface over time. This is in the scenario that the media is used in a filter. If this media is meant to just sit in you tank, I think it will be a great waste catcher :)

18. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Back to the reason for adding a lava stone, what is the stock in your tank? How far from the top is your tank filled? You mentioned that you have a Biorb and depending on where it's filled to perhaps the surface area to volume ratio isn't high enough.

19. Bellatrix Member Member

Bubble issue has been fixed. Changed the filter media and it vanished.

Back to my question, I think I'll definitely get one of these stones to try. :)