Anyone use the Hydor mini-heater? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by fishies123, Mar 18, 2010.

1. f

fishies123 New Member Member

Hello! As some of you may know, we're preparing for a betta in a 10 gallon tank. We bought a Hydor mini heater for a 5-10 gallon, only to later find out that it's not adjustable. It says it keeps the temperature about 4 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature, but in our place we use the A/C a lot, so it's not very warm to begin with. None of the adjustable filters are made for such a small tank, and theyr'e also really expensive. I know all of the good betta owners on here must have some recommendation! Does anyone else have this heater? What has your experience been with it, and is it a good choice? Thanks!

2. MyFireElf

MyFireElf New Member Member

I have the one meant for up to five gallons, and I have to admit I'm not really thrilled with it. My tank's only 2.5 gallons, and it usually only raises the temp about 3 degrees. I can't imagine that it would work better on a tank twice that size, plus if the temperature in my office goes up or down, so does the temperature in the tank. I'm planning on buying a different one as soon as I find an adjustable one that small.

In my 10 gallon tank I have a 50 watt heater made by Aqueon that I got from PetCo that's been working marvelously - it's adjustable, and even though I keep my house around 65 degrees the water temp had been at 80 no matter what time of day I check it.

3. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

I have the smaller one, for 2-5 gallons, also not adjustable. It's a flat rubber thing and I have it slipped under the stones/substrate. Also, my apartment is kept pretty warm because my landlord lives below me and keeps it toasty for himself/the whole building. In sum, it's a different product, tank size, and ambient room temp, so it's different circumstances -- but for what it's worth, this is my experience with my smaller heater:

It heats my 2.5 gallon tank *a lot* -- my little betta is between 82 and 86 depending on how warm my apartment is. When it gets too warm, I leave his lid off. He's not much of a jumper, thankfully. He does relatively well with the warm temps; he's noticeably more active, but acts generally happy (bubble nests, good appetite). I think betta is one of the few fish who are okay in such temps, although I hear it shortens their life spans in the long run. I can't say whether the 82-86 temp fluctuation is totally accurate either, because my thermometer is the sticker variety and not an in-tank one at the moment. The water does feel noticeably warmer though, so offhand the 2-4 degree fluctuation seems accurate.

Edit: whoops, I corrected myself, the heater I have is rated for 2-5g, not <3.

4. Etcetera

Etcetera Valued Member Member

Nonadjustables are dangerous and a waste of money. I will never buy one again--it's better to fork over the extra $6 for a 25W adjustable hydor theo than waste your money on a piece of junk like the hydor mini. Part of the point of getting a heater is not only to heat the water, but to stop the temperature in the tank from fluctuating dangerously. Hydor minis and other nonadjustables are completely useless in this respect, and are more likely to make your fish sick rather than more comfortable, and it is definitely not suited for a 10G tank in any way.

Drop some money on a real heater. Save yourself some grief. If you're concerned about spending a lot of money, try ordering online.  

This site offers $9 flat rate shipping, and the prices are way cheaper than what you will ever find in a pet store. The hydor theos I use for my small tanks are only $16 online, whereas at a local pet store they were $28 each! So even with shipping you still end up saving money, order more and stretch your dollar further.

5. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

I have three mini hydors and they all seem to work to different degrees. One of them raises the temp to several degrees, while another only a few. The biggest problem I have with them is in the spring and fall, when the temperature in the house fluctuates because I have the windows open rather than using the heat or a/c. I just upgraded to a couple of Tetra heaters for 5-15 gallons and they work much better. They aren't adjustable but they are pre-set to keep the water at 76-78 degrees and unlike the mini hydor they turn off when the temperature is right. I got them at Wal-Mart for $15, not too bad.

6. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I've never used the heater your asking about but I do have some adjustable and some non-adjustable heaters. Personally I prefer the adjustable ones, especially for the smaller tanks I like having that extra bit of control. I can recommend both the stealth and the elite heaters. I've used both in tanks as small as 2.5 gallons without issue.
    I have tetra non adjustable heaters and I'm actually on my way to the store now to buy a replacement for one of them. It's been plugged in all day without affect the POC. The better quality heaters also have better gaurentee's as well. Just as a side note :p

7. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

yeah, the minis work good for small tanks (2.5gl) anything bigger than that you need to get the more expensive ones or supplement the mini ones. I have one of those for 5-10 gl in my 10 gal tank but I had to add another heater (an extra one that I had that is not a mini but it does not increase the temp more than 3-4 degrees) and that works fine. But next pay check I want to get the Stealth heaters, are adjustables but at my LFS costs $32.00 and change...so for now, I have to wait>

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice