Anyone use Sodastream CO2 in their aquarium?

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,612
Reaction score
394
Location
Costa Mesa, CA
Experience
2 years
QCAquaholic said:
Those Fluval cartridges are too expensive!
i agree. fluval making a killing off of us Co2 noobs. and each one lasts only a few days so you're like spending 100 bucks a month on co2 with fluval kit method

i dont have a lot of plants in my tank so instead of the "suggested" 2 bubbles per second (which im not thinking is just so you run out and have to buy more) . i slow the bubble counter down to like 1 bubble per 2 seconds
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
QCAquaholic

QCAquaholic

Active Member
Member
Messages
270
Reaction score
214
Location
Charlotte, NC
Experience
Just started
Nickguy5467 said:
i agree. fluval making a killing off of us Co2 noobs. and each one lasts only a few days
I didn't even get that long. I barely had that knob turned, and it was out in less than 24 hours.
 

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,612
Reaction score
394
Location
Costa Mesa, CA
Experience
2 years
QCAquaholic said:
I didn't even get that long. I barely had that knob turned, and it was out in less than 24 hours.
i had that happen with the cartridge that was included in the kid. i feel like the regulator was loose though and let out all the co2
 

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,612
Reaction score
394
Location
Costa Mesa, CA
Experience
2 years
anyway i want to get into using citric acid and baking soda. i feel like that would be a much cheaper co2 option. but my noobness opted for the ready kit instead of diy
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
QCAquaholic

QCAquaholic

Active Member
Member
Messages
270
Reaction score
214
Location
Charlotte, NC
Experience
Just started
Nickguy5467 said:
are you paying attention to your bubble counter?
Not now! After that cartridge that came with the kit went out I haven't bothered to replace it. I haven't heard about the citric acid & baking soda option, might have to check that out.
 

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,612
Reaction score
394
Location
Costa Mesa, CA
Experience
2 years
QCAquaholic said:
Not now! After that cartridge that came with the kit went out I haven't bothered to replace it. I haven't heard about the citric acid & baking soda option, might have to check that out.
making co2 via mixing. i ended up buying a 3 pack of the fluval cartridges just to keep my feet wet while i learn other things. but if you keep your bubble count to at least like 2 bubbles per second they will last you a few days. make sure you dont accidently unscrew your regulator from the canister like i did. sounds like you might have too?
 

TheMysticWizard

Active Member
Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
51
Location
East Bay, CA
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought a cheap regulator and solenoid off Amazon and a SodaStream adapter off another site and made my own setup. Been going for more than a month now on my first full cylinder. 20 Gallon tank, roughly 2-3 bubbles per second.

Seemed like a good solution as I can just exchange empty cylinders for full ones at my local Target, or there are online services that will send you new ones when you send your empties in.
 

Tallen78

Active Member
Member
Messages
418
Reaction score
165
Experience
Just started
TheMysticWizard said:
I bought a cheap regulator and solenoid off Amazon and a SodaStream adapter off another site and made my own setup. Been going for more than a month now on my first full cylinder. 20 Gallon tank, roughly 2-3 bubbles per second.

Seemed like a good solution as I can just exchange empty cylinders for full ones at my local Target, or there are online services that will send you new ones when you send your empties in.
I have a few planted tanks and really want to use co2 I just ordered this diy setup from amazon pretty simple and comes with everything I will need other than the soda bottles I need to know how much do I need for a 155g can’t find my answer anywhere read about how to measure the use of it by checking my Ph before during and after photo period but I still don’t know how much I need will this setup be enough how many bubbles per second can anyone steer me in the right direction
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
QCAquaholic

QCAquaholic

Active Member
Member
Messages
270
Reaction score
214
Location
Charlotte, NC
Experience
Just started
Tallen78 said:
I have a few planted tanks and really want to use co2 I just ordered this diy setup from amazon pretty simple and comes with everything I will need other than the soda bottles I need to know how much do I need for a 155g can’t find my answer anywhere read about how to measure the use of it by checking my Ph before during and after photo period but I still don’t know how much I need will this setup be enough how many bubbles per second can anyone steer me in the right direction
Do you have a link to the DIY setup?
 

Tallen78

Active Member
Member
Messages
418
Reaction score
165
Experience
Just started
Tallen78 said:
Yes I do I got this one because it has a solenoid so I can put it on a time and it use citrus acid and baking soda in two 2 liter bottles
I still can’t find anywhere tell me how or what is needed from what I read 10-30mg/l is ideal but how many bubbles per second is that and will one of these units be able to produce enough
 

MoshJosh

Well Known
Member
Messages
624
Reaction score
604
I had the small kit (40 gallon maybe. . . ?) on my 5 gallon back in the day. I found a website to calculate bubble count based on my water volume. . . The bubble rate was super low, which was a pain to try and dial in, it was so slow that it took a while to build up pressure enough to come out of the fine air stone thing. . Anyway, one can lasted from 1-3 weeks if I recall. . .

I have heard of ways to use paintball gun CO2 canisters to run your CO2 system, if you are looking for alternatives to Fluval that might be something to look into.

Also, I know there’s a type of CO2 system that is basically an upside down cup underwater and you spray CO2 into it with like a Spray paint can looking thing, and to top it off when the CO2 starts to run out.
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,194
Reaction score
3,532
Location
NC
Experience
3 years
Tallen78 said:
I have a few planted tanks and really want to use co2 I just ordered this diy setup from amazon pretty simple and comes with everything I will need other than the soda bottles I need to know how much do I need for a 155g can’t find my answer anywhere read about how to measure the use of it by checking my Ph before during and after photo period but I still don’t know how much I need will this setup be enough how many bubbles per second can anyone steer me in the right direction
I hate to tell you but DIY will not cut it for 155 gallons. I would do DIY on a 10 gallon at most. You will need very good circulation with a good diffuser, preferably a CO2 atomizer, and a high bubble rate. So high that DIY will be depleted within a few days. It will not be cheaper or easier in the long run :(
 

TheMysticWizard

Active Member
Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
51
Location
East Bay, CA
Experience
More than 10 years
Eheim 2215 -> CO2 diffuser -> DIY Inline Heater -> Tank via LilyPipe



Like I said above, I run about 2-3 bubbles per second, really gauge it by PH Drop tho. You want a full point drop throughout your lighting period. I go from about 6.7-6.8 to under 6 (kit I have doesn't measure below 6, but it's more yellow then what 6.0 is). I keep an eye on my drop checker as well, make sure it doesn't go completely yellow. With this diffuser I end up running about 22-23 PSI to achieve this. 20 Gallon Tall.

I am running an Arduino to control my CO2 and Lights. Twilight lighting turns on at 1:30 PM, CO2 turns on at 2:30 PM and Lights start coming on at 4:00 PM, reaching full intensity by 5 PM, by this time my CO2 is sufficiently saturated. CO2 turns off an hour before my lights start dimming before turning off.
 

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,612
Reaction score
394
Location
Costa Mesa, CA
Experience
2 years
TheMysticWizard said:
Eheim 2215 -> CO2 diffuser -> DIY Inline Heater -> Tank via LilyPipe



Like I said above, I run about 2-3 bubbles per second, really gauge it by PH Drop tho. You want a full point drop throughout your lighting period. I go from about 6.7-6.8 to under 6 (kit I have doesn't measure below 6, but it's more yellow then what 6.0 is). I keep an eye on my drop checker as well, make sure it doesn't go completely yellow. With this diffuser I end up running about 22-23 PSI to achieve this. 20 Gallon Tall.

I am running an Arduino to control my CO2 and Lights. Twilight lighting turns on at 1:30 PM, CO2 turns on at 2:30 PM and Lights start coming on at 4:00 PM, reaching full intensity by 5 PM, by this time my CO2 is sufficiently saturated. CO2 turns off an hour before my lights start dimming before turning off.
my brain just exploded >.>
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
98
Guests online
2,429
Total visitors
2,527

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom