Anyone Use Finnex Planted + 24/7??

vince4395

Which setting produces the best amount of plant growth and also which plants and which additives (ferts,co2 etc.) Do you use? I can't seem to balance my tank with this lighting as my plants do really good initially but then all growth stops.

WishNixie

I have this light, but had no trouble completely killing plants. It was recommended that I do the siesta method, Light on Max from 7-Noon, off til four pm, on until nine, then back off til 7am. It's helping me keep my plants alive at least. And stops the bulk of the algae growth. I use Thrive fertilizer, and Flourish root tabs as well.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
I have it on my ten with the following plants-
Jungle val
L. Aromatica
Anubis(so so, it's a high light, so isn't suited for Anubis)
Micro sword
Sword
And something I can't remember
I dose with excel and flourish. Here's a photo-
5f78985f37abb26d76d8431f65891f8f.jpg

MelPaulATL

I promised I would spread my tale of horror. I bought 2 of these ...may and july of last year. The first one died within 4 months. The second one just died. Never again
Now. I use the Current USA Satellite Freshwater.
I'm still learning but I've been very happy.
I use siesta too. ashenwelt rec.
On 4 off 5ish then back on 4 to 5 until bed.
I also used Flourish but recently learned about Thrive by NilocG. just dosed tonight.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
I have two, one tank I run on max for 8hrs, one I run on a cycle for 11hrs (but I also have another light on that tank, wouldn't run cycle without it). Max or sunny should be fine, I would start at six hrs and increase from there.
For ferts I use eI based from nilocg, on some other tanks I use thrive by nilocg. I dose excel daily (no co2...yet)

Ferts will vary depending on your bioload, your plants, and your feeding habits. If you have a moderately stocked tank and feed heavily, flourish would work fine. If lightly stocked, decent number of fast growing plants, or not a heavy feeder then you would want to consider a fert that has higher amounts of NP then flourish.

WishNixie

KarenSoCal said:
I have it on a 20 Long on the 24/7 mode. I put a strip on window film right under the light so it's not so blindingly bright. I have anubias, hornwort, hygrophila corymbosa, rotala rotundifolia, and amazon sword, all thriving. Here it is...
Your tank is beautiful. I wish I could manage that.

OP
vince4395

vince4395

KarenSoCal said:
I have it on a 20 Long on the 24/7 mode. I put a strip on window film right under the light so it's not so blindingly bright. I have anubias, hornwort, hygrophila corymbosa, rotala rotundifolia, and amazon sword, all thriving. Here it is...
Wow very beautiful! Are you using any type of co2 or fertilizers?

Platylover said:
I have it on my ten with the following plants-
Jungle val
L. Aromatica
Anubis(so so, it's a high light, so isn't suited for Anubis)
Micro sword
Sword
And something I can't remember
I dose with excel and flourish. Here's a photo-
Awesome Tank! What light setting and duration do you use?

WishNixie

KarenSoCal said:
No co2. I use Flourish Comp, Flourish Trace, and root tabs. Thanks for the compliment!
I have flourish root tabs.. Thrive, and Flourish excel; but I javen't mastered how and when to use them. What does Trace and Comp do, and how and when do you use them?

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
I have one on my 38 and 40. The 38 does low light well, growing wisteria, dwarf water lily, and crypts really well, and a few others. I run it on the 24/7 mode, and it's the SE model. It's been a while since I took a full tank shot. This is weeks ago.
3914821579b98ebcb0a977c844654816.jpg

The one on the 40 I turn on max for several hours a day. Too many actually but it's new (still cycling) and I'm trying to establish some plants. Ludwigia repens is thriving, wisteria, hygrophila, bacopa caroliniana, amazon sword, crypt, even my jungle val is doing well and it's new. I expected more melt but I've gotten some new leaves already. This is last week. The ludwigia has a couple stems at the surface, and I've already trimmed several.
5a38e0b4995a792d817ccc3374876991.jpg

I'm pretty sporadic with ferts. I use flourish, thrive, and root tabs, but not even weekly. I was dosing liquid co2 in the forty. I bought a higher need plant, but it's not doing well. I also put osmacote loose under the sand in the 40.

I really like the lights.

WishNixie

I'm not sure how you're managing GROWTH with the same light I have Angel, lol. I can't even seem to do ALIVE. Ugh, haha.

KarenSoCal

Well Known
WishNixie said:
I have flourish root tabs.. Thrive, and Flourish excel; but I javen't mastered how and when to use them. What does Trace and Comp do, and how and when do you use them?
I'll confess...I don't understand ferts at all! But I figured the plants needed something, so this is what I did. It works for me, but all my plants are considered easy to grow.

I bought a bottle of Flourish Comprehensive at Petsmart because I figured it is an all-around basic fert. The instructions say to use once or twice a week, but since I have snails and shrimp I thought it would be better to divide the dose to use 3x per week. So I use 15 drops on Mon, Wed, and Fri. in the 20 gal.

Then I saw Flourish Trace on Amazon, and it said to use
it with Comp. 2x per week. So I use it on Sun and Thurs. at the recommended dose (5 ml per 20 gal).

I realize what I do makes no real sense, but you asked! LOL!

I modify the doses for each of my other 3 tanks, but follow the same schedule.

WishNixie

KarenSoCal said:
I'll confess...I don't understand ferts at all! But I figured the plants needed something, so this is what I did. It works for me, but all my plants are considered easy to grow.

I bought a bottle of Flourish Comprehensive at Petsmart because I figured it is an all-around basic fert. The instructions say to use once or twice a week, but since I have snails and shrimp I thought it would be better to divide the dose to use 3x per week. So I use 15 drops on Mon, Wed, and Fri. in the 20 gal.

Then I saw Flourish Trace on Amazon, and it said to use
it with Comp. 2x per week. So I use it on Sun and Thurs. at the recommended dose (5 ml per 20 gal).

I realize what I do makes no real sense, but you asked! LOL!

I modify the doses for each of my other 3 tanks, but follow the same schedule.
Baha.. hey it must be working, since your tank looks so great. Maybe I will have to pick up comp, and trace too, but then I'll have FOUR bottles of plant additive ****, and my plants will probably STILL die, pffbt, lol.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known
I do not like the planted 24/7. I have a lot of high light plants. The ray2 is ok but the absolute best lights for planted aquariums are sho cfl bulbs and I will never purchase another light ever again.

I'd rather spend 8 $ for the best high intensity plant light than 400+ on a single led.

KarenSoCal

Well Known
WishNixie said:
Baha.. hey it must be working, since your tank looks so great. Maybe I will have to pick up comp, and trace too, but then I'll have FOUR bottles of plant additive , and my plants will probably STILL die, pffbt, lol.
I really wish I could help you more! I just found plants that like my water and stayed with them. But I have had lots of losses too...I can't keep water wisteria or anacharis, supposedly 2 of the easiest to grow. They die in no time.

I don't know how much ph and hardness of the water affects the plants, so maybe that would be something to research. I have hard alkaline water.

WishNixie

KarenSoCal said:
I really wish I could help you more! I just found plants that like my water and stayed with them. But I have had lots of losses too...I can't keep water wisteria or anacharis, supposedly 2 of the easiest to grow. They die in no time.

I don't know how much ph and hardness of the water affects the plants, so maybe that would be something to research. I have hard alkaline water.
My water is way hard/high ph as well. 8.2ish every test. I've killed about three hundred bucks worth of live plants, haha. Oi. I don't like to even remind mySELF of that though, lol.

Yikes, a four hundred dollar LED light? Which one is that? I can replace the entire finnex light piece for ONE of those hundreds, haha. As it is, I'm considering buying a second one, to run along side the one I have now, (that's hooked to a timer, so I can't turn it on any time I want, which annoys me, lol). But I can't decide if it annoys me enough to spend another ninety bucks of another finnex planted+ 27/7 fixture.. hmmm. lol.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known
KarenSoCal said:

It only effects some plants. "Softer" plants like that, that naturally come from soft acidic water will not thrive. Depends on the type of anacharis though, some strains do well in hard water.

If you have hard water look into what kind of plants grow naturally in hard water lakes. Almost all anubias, lots of swords, ludwigia and crypts can handle hard water fine

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known
WishNixie said:
My water is way hard/high ph as well. 8.2ish every test. I've killed about three hundred bucks worth of live plants, haha. Oi. I don't like to even remind mySELF of that though, lol.

Yikes, a four hundred dollar LED light? Which one is that? I can replace the entire finnex light piece for ONE of those hundreds, haha. As it is, I'm considering buying a second one, to run along side the one I have now, (that's hooked to a timer, so I can't turn it on any time I want, which annoys me, lol). But I can't decide if it annoys me enough to spend another ninety bucks of another finnex planted+ 27/7 fixture.. hmmm. lol.
Exactly 100 $ for a sub par led when I can buy a multI pack for 12 $ that has enough high intensity lights that will grow anything in 4x 5 foot long aquariums

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
WishNixie said:
I'm not sure how you're managing GROWTH with the same light I have Angel, lol. I can't even seem to do ALIVE. Ugh, haha.
I've killed some plants too! Anacharis, ludwigia repens, wisteria, moneywort, and I have a tiny oriental sword in trying to nurse back. And others too. It's trial and error until you find what works. And as crazy as it sounds, every tank is different! The ludwigia in my 38 just wouldn't live, but I'm having amazing growth in my 40. Just keep fiddling with it.

vikingkirken

Well Known
I gotta be honest... I don't understand why people would buy more 24/7 lights if they don't like the 24/7 setting? Why not just buy a more basic light? I love my 24/7 SE. It's awesome being able to view the fish all day, and it looks like a different tank under the different light settings. It even helps regulate my own sleep/wake cycle The moonlights make me sleepy!

The only algae problem I've had is cyano, but I already had that, and it seems to grow whatever light it is under. The other algae types that were growing in my 55 cleared up with the 24/7 setting, the plants just outcompeted them. If the light intensity is too strong for your tank depth, the window film idea is a good one, or perhaps a lighting diffuser panel cut to size?

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
I too pr fee to just leave it in the cycle. The purpose is for a natural setting for fish. I'll stick with low light plants to keep it on the cycle too.
It does matter how deep your tank is too.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known
I use a 3 $ timer and cheap lunar leds(9 $) to compliment my 4$/8$ bulbs and create a simulated sunrise/sunset/intensity schedule. I grow all kinds of plants and when its at "midday" and lights are at full intensity it looks like the water is boiling from all the pearling

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
I think that the 24/7 SE is fine to cycle, not as much the earlier model... red wavelengths weren't optimal, therefore causing a period of low lighting with no benefit...except for the algae

OP
vince4395

vince4395

AngelTheGypsy said:
I have one on my 38 and 40. The 38 does low light well, growing wisteria, dwarf water lily, and crypts really well, and a few others. I run it on the 24/7 mode, and it's the SE model. It's been a while since I took a full tank shot. This is weeks ago.
3914821579b98ebcb0a977c844654816.jpg

The one on the 40 I turn on max for several hours a day. Too many actually but it's new (still cycling) and I'm trying to establish some plants. Ludwigia repens is thriving, wisteria, hygrophila, bacopa caroliniana, amazon sword, crypt, even my jungle val is doing well and it's new. I expected more melt but I've gotten some new leaves already. This is last week. The ludwigia has a couple stems at the surface, and I've already trimmed several.
5a38e0b4995a792d817ccc3374876991.jpg

I'm pretty sporadic with ferts. I use flourish, thrive, and root tabs, but not even weekly. I was dosing liquid co2 in the forty. I bought a higher need plant, but it's not doing well. I also put osmacote loose under the sand in the 40.

I really like the lights.
How many hours do you keep the light on max?

Letsfish

Well Known
I set up a 29 with a 24/7 and cycled it .I had a problem with diatoms[new tank] and some plant melting so I put the light on a timer and ran it 8 hrs a day on max .The plants are low tech swords and crypts. moneywort have survived and are now growing..Now that I have my water chemistry where it is supposed to be PH 7.6 and KH 6 I may add a few more plants and try the 24/7 mode again.

Aceranch

I've pondered trying one of these as I have a Finnex Stingray with decent results. I also have several Current Freshwater + that I love. I really like the idea of more natural transitions which pulls me to the 24/7. But, I've decided to build my own light from scratch with a RGB strip and a controller. I'll mill the fixture from aluminum bar. It should be cheaper than a 24/7 and hopefully better results.

OP
vince4395

vince4395

Tiny_Tanganyikans said:
I do not like the planted 24/7. I have a lot of high light plants. The ray2 is ok but the absolute best lights for planted aquariums are sho cfl bulbs and I will never purchase another light ever again.

I'd rather spend 8 $ for the best high intensity plant light than 400+ on a single led.
I'm very interested in hearing more about cfl bulbs. How many and what size of bulbs would you use for a 36g bow front?

New Threads