anyone use Cholla/choya wood?

MJDuti

Last time I was in my good LFS I saw this piece of wood that I loved and wanted to eventually add to my new tank setup for some shrimp and plants. I don't know a lot about driftwood. I only have a piece of mopanI in my current tank and learned about Cholla wood from the owners a little bit. I just loved it cause it was hollowed out (for a tunnel) and had little holes and openings throughout it. It just looked great and thought it'd be very practical for shrimp and fry. Also wanted to find a piece with possibly an extension/small limb off it and maybe a thicker base. I want to fit, and plant (java moss and a fern at the back of it), a piece around 9" in a 23G long tank.

After doing a little research online I have not found a ton of information, just mainly feedback from rookie aquarium owners. Some say it is great, some say it's terrible. My thoughts from what I read is that people didn't seem to clean it, or boil it. Others didn't leach out the tanins. I think some even used terrarium wood, which is coated with chemicals. So between things lingering in the wood and pH fluctuations I'm guessing those are what cause their problems. I also heard it may soften up quite a bit?

My questions include: has anyone here used, or currently use a piece? How is it with shrimp? Do plants attach easily? Does it soften a lot? Does it last awhile? Does it leach a ton of tannins? Does it affect pH like normal driftwood? Lastly, know any good places to buy it online? My current LFS has had a large piece in a large 50+G tank with huge cichlids for years with no problems, sadly they are out of pieces though.

Ryan1824

It is easy to attach plants to. I've had some large pieces in a couple of my tanks for a couple of months with no problems. I soaked them for couple of weeks and changed the water every few days until it stopped turning brown before adding them to my tank . I haven't seen any change in PH and they seems to be holding up well. AquaBid always has smaller pieces and occasionally someones offers larger pieces.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DarylB
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
MJDuti
Replies