Anyone use "Chicken Grit" as substrate?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Dean, Mar 16, 2010.

1. DeanValued MemberMember

Has anyone used or heard of people using "Chicken Grit" the crushed granite kind for substrate? If so, how well does it work and what course (fine or medium)? Thanks.

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

ive never heard of it...but doesnt mean someone else hasnt :) it reminds me of the question of using kitty litter though.....be interesting to see the replies to this ;)

3. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

You would have to be careful using chicken Grit because some of it is made from oyster shells.
    As for granite grit I don't guess it would be any different(parameter wise) than using granite slabs in the aquarium. My concern would be how sharp the tiny grit pieces are.
    Carol

4. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

there is fine and medium size. The fine is a little bigger then sand and the medium is about gravel size. Neither has sharp edges. I was thinking of getting the fine size for a smother substrate. I was also careful to make sure that it is granite only, no coral.

5. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

The bag that came in was Cherry stone fine grit. I think it would still work five but I'm waiting to see if they can get the granite in because I like the black look.

6. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

When I googled that I got an ad for putting it on icey sidewalks. It's advertised as fine , sharp crushed rock. Before using I personally would feel of it real good. Just my thoughts.
    Carol

7. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

I did notice that it was l a little sharper then I'd like and that is one of the reason's I'm sending it back (color is the other) for the Granite Grit that I requested. I think the Cherry stone would be fine for some tanks but not for what I'm going for with my 55gal. The Granite grit is more round and not sharp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice