Anyone Tried To Grow Morning Glories Immersed? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FLDawna, Apr 29, 2019.

1. FLDawna

FLDawnaValued MemberMember

I have some morning glory seedlings and was just reading how they're very similar to sweet potato vines. I have pothos and potatoes growing out of the top of my tank (among a few other plants) and was thinking how pretty the morning glory would be and beneficial since they are supposed to grow like a weed. I know they need sun to bloom but would a light be enough for it to bloom inside?

2. blue velvet keeper

blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

if that is the case it depends on the light and how long it is on but i would love that if you could good luck hopefully someone more experienced with this stuff will chime in

3. EvanG

EvanGValued MemberMember

When I looked it up, the light requirements were said to be "full sun, or slight shade", so it seems like it would depend on how much light (natural + artificial) you provide. People grow every kind of plant under artificial light (checkout hydroponic lights), but they get into some seriously bright and expensive lights. Sorry, I don't have anything truly useful to add other than it is certainly possible to grow inside if you're willing to provide enough light. The question is, how much is enough?

4. OP
    OP
    FLDawna

FLDawnaValued MemberMember

I assume the vine will grow at least. They have pretty leaves so I suppose it would be very similar to a pothos only faster growing. But if I could get it to bloom inside would be awesome. I'll probably try a couple to see what happens. I've got 25 seedlings so....