Anyone recommend a good UV filtration system

diver28
Anyone recommend a good UV filtration system. I currently have an overflow system which feeds into a sump. My protein skimmer sits in the sump. Also, are there any serious cons to a UV filter?

agsansoo
The con is, it kills more beneficial micro organism than it does bad ones. It can't determine good from bad. UV sterilizers are not needed. IMO

diver28
ok. thanks but what if I ran the filter after I did a water change and then supplemented the water with good bacteria a few days later and then turned off the UV filter? I'm just fed up with the fish catching diseases.. I've been so careful with quartine and feeding and water changes and testing the water that I'm trying to think of other ways to really give me the best water quality.

Also, I finally took pictures of the anemone last night. I will try and load it up asap. He is doing good it seems. My LFS said they heal fast and are pretty resiliant.

agsansoo
So you have a history of your fish catching diseases... I would run the UV during outbreaks only. That's if you already have an UV filter. If not, just make the water as stable as possible.

diver28
don't have one. Just thinking about it. I mean, to give you the whole story I'm done adding fish into my tank assuming I can keep the fish alive. I'm now focused on adding a few selective corals here and there and maybe some live rock which still stresses the powder blue out. But with the UV killing the good bacteria I would then like to run it maybe during water changes since I use the NSW from Scripps pier. I don't trust it entirely but enjoy the fact that its free.

GreenMan13
So you are using water directly from the ocean? If that's the case, I bet that is where all your sicknesses are coming from. How much water do you change out each time?

If you get a UV sterilizer, I would just use it on the water that you are taking from the ocean before you put it in your tank since it will not matter as much if you kill the good along with the bad there as long as you get the bad.

diver28
hey that's a good idea.. now how would I do that. I mean how do UV filters work.. can I just throw it in the 5 gallon jug or something. If that sounds stupid.. my bad. I also posted some pics of my tank on the anemone forum.. I'll take more of my sump etc etc.

GreenMan13
Most work by pumping water by the light in a closed container since the UV light will kill harm fish and corals.

So I was right in that you use water directly from the ocean?

I think they are usually long tubes, so you would need to have a water containers to take in that light.

diver28
Yes, I use water from the Scripps Pier in La Jolla (San Diego). It is pumped through some filtration system they have... sand filters I think. I'm suspect of it but many people use the water and my LFS said its perfectly fine to use for a fish only tank.

agsansoo
Scripps NSW is top quality water. Lots of people use it here in SoCal. The problem is not the water. Diseased fish come from wholesalers and LFS's. Buyer beware !

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
ounderfla69
Replies
Views
magedsabri
Replies
Views