Anyone recognize this Pleco?

Kathylee

I've had him for about 2 months, he's very active, eats a lot. But he's very young, I can't even ID if it's male or female. On my receipt it simply says "algae eater" on the display tank it said Pleco only gets to 3in maximum. He has grown a bit since adopting. He's black, with small black eyes, a few white spots, white line on Dorsal fin, and white line on the tip of his tail. There's so many, so I'm just wondering opinions on which type he is?

Kathylee

Haha I just realized my orange molly photo bombed that last photo

FishBoy101

Kathylee93 said:
I've had him for about 2 months, he's very active, eats a lot. But he's very young, I can't even ID if it's male or female. On my receipt it simply says "algae eater" on the display tank it said Pleco only gets to 3in maximum. He has grown a bit since adopting. He's black, with small black eyes, a few white spots, white line on Dorsal fin, and white line on the tip of his tail. There's so many, so I'm just wondering opinions on which type he is?
Maybe BN plaeco?

Kathylee

If it is a Bristlenose- this bristles won't grow until he is like 6 months old right? So only time would tell on that one lol

86 ssinit

I’m going to say a male bushy nose pleco. I think the white on the end of the fins say it a juvenile.

FishBoy101

Kathylee93 said:
If it is a Bristlenose- this bristles won't grow until he is like 6 months old right? So only time would tell on that one lol
I had young plecos as well and they look alike! That's the only reason I said BN lol

Kathylee

Well thank you guys! I will just have to wait a few months & see what happens

FishBoy101

Kathylee93 said:
Well thank you guys! I will just have to wait a few months & see what happens
Good Luck

Kathylee

FishBoy101 said:
Good Luck
So you two were spot on! I went to the Pet Store tonight to buy cat liter & some new aquarium plants, I strolled along the fish-tanks & found his name tag.. It does indeed say Bristlenose Plecostomos, and that he may grow to 6 inches. He is in a 20 Gal High right now, gonna have to talk my spouse into getting another bigger tank down the road lol

FishBoy101

Kathylee93 said:
So you two were spot on! I went to the Pet Store tonight to buy cat liter & some new aquarium plants, I strolled along the fish-tanks & found his name tag.. It does indeed say Bristlenose Plecostomos, and that he may grow to 6 inches. He is in a 20 Gal High right now, gonna have to talk my spouse into getting another bigger tank down the road lol
If you like large fish tanks, you now have a free way of getting one! Just say, this fish can get big, and we want it to have a happy life, right? Worked on my parents until they caught on.

DoubleDutch

BN's dont get 6 inch and aren't huge.

Kathylee

DoubleDutch said:

Well thanks, his tank tag said "maximum growth 6 inches" if he stays smaller that be great too!

86 ssinit

Here’s mine to the left.
and he only get to 6” when he’s in the corners

Kathylee

86 ssinit said:
Here’s mine to the left.
He's Beautiful!!

DoubleDutch

86 ssinit said:
Here’s mine to the left.
Hahahahaha hilarious. I was puzzled hahaha asking myself (before reading) if it was a BN at first. Awesome 6' shot

Mcasella

DoubleDutch said:

They can get 6", but they have to have the genetics for it, your average petco one normally tops out at 4-5 inches at the biggest and generally don't get monster bristles like some breeder bred ones.
(I've seen several 6" albino and regular colored bristlenose, I've had two females that hit 5" each and one male that hit 5" as well. Then you have bristlenose species that get big like L182 that can hit 9", or peppermints -L071- that hit 8")

Kathylee93 yours should hit 4" around a year or so in age, sometimes they take longer to grow. They keep growing but it slows down as they get older. He may end up being 5" by the time he is several years old.

Kathylee

Mcasella said:
They can get 6", but they have to have the genetics for it, your average petco one normally tops out at 4-5 inches at the biggest and generally don't get monster bristles like some breeder bred ones.
(I've seen several 6" albino and regular colored bristlenose, I've had two females that hit 5" each and one male that hit 5" as well. Then you have bristlenose species that get big like L182 that can hit 9", or peppermints -L071- that hit 8")

Kathylee93 yours should hit 4" around a year or so in age, sometimes they take longer to grow. They keep growing but it slows down as they get older. He may end up being 5" by the time he is several years old.
Thank you, like I said it is okay either way, I would prefer it if he does stays small lol I had no idea he was a Bristlenose so that is an added bonus! Thank you all for the info

DoubleDutch

My 7 BN's (females) are all smaller than 6 inch hahaha but Mcasella knows her stuff so not any doubt.

mattgirl

Elbert, that handsome fellow over there in my avatar is about 5 1/2". He is about 5 years old now. His bristles started growing at about 6 months. I have to think he was at least 6 months old when I first got him as a tiny 1 1/2" baby so he was about a year old before I knew for sure I had a male. He is a giant when compared to my super red bristle nose pleco's though. Little Red, my male super red is only 3". Such a cute little guy

Pleco's are my favorite species of fish so I am thrilled that we are able to get some that don't have to have huge tanks.

Kathylee

3 months later, here he is:

A201

Looks like he is a she BN.

Kathylee

A201 said:
Looks like he is a she BN.
Haha thanks, I gave up on trying to figure out the gender, & have just been calling the pleco a "him".

mattgirl

Kathylee said:
Haha thanks, I gave up on trying to figure out the gender, & have just been calling the pleco a "him".
To me, brisltlenose pleco's are the easiest fish there is to determine gender. either they have bristles or they don't.

May still be too soon to tell. You will know for sure if it starts growing bristles. The boys have them around their mouth and up the center of their face. Right now yours does look like a little girl. Elbert started out his life being called Elle Mae. I thought something that tiny and cute just had to be a baby girl. When the bristles started growing the girly name had to go and it morphed into Elbert.

Kathylee

mattgirl said:
To me, brisltlenose pleco's are the easiest fish there is to determine gender. either they have bristles or they don't.

May still be too soon to tell. You will know for sure if it starts growing bristles. The boys have them around their mouth and up the center of their face. Right now yours does look like a little girl. Elbert started out his life being called Elle Mae. I thought something that tiny and cute just had to be a baby girl. When the bristles started growing the girly name had to go and it morphed into Elbert.
Oh that's too funny. Yes I was told the males will start growing in their bristles all over the head & females will only get a "mustache" haha. So her whole upper lip are tiny ones just starting to grow. I'm not breeding, this one is solo, so I'm not to worried about gender. I'll love him equally even if it is a She. I adopted I think on May 26th 20, and she was Teeny-Tiny, so I still wonder exactly how old she is. I always ask the clerk & they never know. I learned something new with this Pleco too! She camouflages a lot! In the morning when I first turn the light on she has dark patches all over. In the afternoon she has light patches. I was baffled at first & thought something was wrong, bcuz when she was very small it looked odd. But now I can see the patches clearly that she is bigger & her lines are more visible.

mattgirl

Elbert started out with the tiny bristles around his mouth. Before too long they started growing longer. Within a couple of months after I noticed the tiny ones I knew he needed a name change. It was then that his name changed from Ellie Mae to Elbert.

They do seem to be able to somewhat control their markings. Elbert doesn't except for the red patch on the top of his head. Sometimes it is more promanent than it is at other times but some of his offspring did change. I say did because all have now been rehomed.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom