Anyone quality white sand, aquatic soil & filter recommendations?

Bleu

I got a 33 gallon long that had been sitting empty for months. I originally was going to do black sand, but my sister keeps bugging me (even if she isn’t a fish person, to do white.)

Any good recommendations for white sand?

I want to use some aquatic soil too for the first time, because I want to do a carpet without Co2. What aquatic soil is super shrimp friendly? Any cons to aquatic soil?

The custom stand I paid for, but not super happy with, the top part is too low, so I can’t do a HOB, what would be the best filter for a 33 long without HOBs?

FishDin

I use pool filter sand for white.

Are you planning on mixing soil and sand in the same tank?

IMO the best filter is a canister filter. You could also do sponge filters. I guess it depends on what your plans / goals are for the tank.

kallililly1973

Pool filter sand is a little off white but still looks good. A bag of organic soil from one of the box stores will work. That size tank you could do a SunSun or Fluval 306. If your gonna have shrimp I would add a prefilter sponge to the intake.

MasterPython

I did my deep substrate tank with dirt from the backyard. If it was heavy clay maybe cut it with some peat.

What kind of shrimp?

ruud

White sand....what most scapers use: ADA La Plata. It is also very suitable for many plant species as the grain sizes vary a tiny bit (good for water movement that occurs in substrates). And the color of La Plata sand particles also vary a tiny bit. Both size and color differences enhance the natural look of the sand. La Plata is not really white; but the typical paths or borders you see in nature style aquascapes, make use of La Plata. White sand tends to look really fake in a nature style aquascape. Besides, every tiny plant matter is visible on clear white sand. On La Plata, on the other hand, it blends nicely.

Carpet without CO2....good luck! I had luck once with Monte Carlo, but I think only because the tank was really shallow and I had a decent water flow in that tank.

Cons to aquatic soil; I think you mean active soil; well, it releases less nutrients after a while and you'll need to compensate.

Active soil is shrimp safe; it is used oftentimes for breeding caridina species, but neo's do just fine on active soil as well.

Bleu

I use pool filter sand for white.

Are you planning on mixing soil and sand in the same tank?

IMO the best filter is a canister filter. You could also do sponge filters. I guess it depends on what your plans / goals are for the tank.
Yeah, I was thinking of doing soil so I could have a carpet, since I don't have a Co2 system.

So, soil on the bottom, and sand on the top, unless I can't do that. I never used Canisters before, are they good?

I can't use a HOB, because the height of the stand blocks it, but I want to have some corydoras, potentially some shrimp, maybe guppies, MAYBE a betta, or gourami, etc. Can't think of anything yet. Some K loaches.
White sand....what most scapers use: ADA La Plata. It is also very suitable for many plant species as the grain sizes vary a tiny bit (good for water movement that occurs in substrates). And the color of La Plata sand particles also vary a tiny bit. Both size and color differences enhance the natural look of the sand. La Plata is not really white; but the typical paths or borders you see in nature style aquascapes, make use of La Plata. White sand tends to look really fake in a nature style aquascape. Besides, every tiny plant matter is visible on clear white sand. On La Plata, on the other hand, it blends nicely.

Carpet without CO2....good luck! I had luck once with Monte Carlo, but I think only because the tank was really shallow and I had a decent water flow in that tank.

Cons to aquatic soil; I think you mean active soil; well, it releases less nutrients after a while and you'll need to compensate.

Active soil is shrimp safe; it is used oftentimes for breeding caridina species, but neo's do just fine on active soil as well.
True, I was worried about it looking unnatural, I remember getting Caribsea, and I remember it getting really brown, and just looking really dirty and awful. So I was truly looking for something that'd be the opposite of that and quality, just worth it. I'll check this one out.

So the neo's won't 100% be affected by the active soil? I won't have to worry about deaths?

I don't mind the lack of nutrients as long as I don't have to replace the soil.

ruud

The active soil brings your pH down to 6-ish, which is a bit low for neos. But supplement with shrimp minerals and calcium, and they do fine. I have a tank with active soil, RO water for caridina shrimp, but it also houses neos, they are constantly breeding. Just make sure you have a decent flow in your tanks and lots of live plants for the shrimp to graze on.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Valleriani
  • Question
Replies
Views
altwitch
Replies
Views
Roman96