Anyone Pregnant? Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by wibbylynn, Jun 15, 2018.

1. wibbylynn

wibbylynnValued MemberMember

IMG_4197.jpgIMG_4194.jpgIMG_4195.jpgIMG_4196.jpgIMG_4197.jpg

Hey guys, I got these guppies the other day, I have 2 males and 4 females. I just wanted to know if any of you think the females came pregnant or not? I’m new to this so I can’t really tell. Thanks!

2. yukondog

yukondogWell Known MemberMember

If there guppy's there pregnant, and yes they are.

3. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogTooWell Known MemberMember

The answer to "Is my livebearer pregnant" is always yes.

Seriously, from one encounter with a male, a female can get pregnant several times over the next few months. They carry around a male's sperm with them, and impregnate themselves when conditions are right, which, for guppies, pretty much means as long as they're in water.

Just the fact that you have 2 males in there with them right now means the females already collecting sperm deposits from the males.

4. yukondog

yukondogWell Known MemberMember

I had a big pregnant female that I put in her own tank to have the fry, she had them, I left her in the tank by herself [no males] she continued to have fry for the next 3 months, than she died but she was pretty old.

5. OP
    OP
    wibbylynn

wibbylynnValued MemberMember

That’s super interesting info! I just wasn’t sure since the males and females were separate in the store, they’ve only been together for 3 days and the females are already looking pregnant. I wasn’t sure how quickly they began to show.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice