Help Anyone own an EHEIM Professional 3 2080 who can help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have an EHEIM Pro 3 2080 on my new but used 180G. I'm having a few issues figuring out how it works. I have two intake lines but only 1 appears to be working when the flow metre is on full. When I reduce the flow the second intake line starts to flow but at a lower rate to the other line. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

I also had an issue priming it as i didn't fill the filter with water first. I figured the priming pump would enable me to pump water into the unit and get it started from there. I pumped it for ages but to no avail. There seemed to be water being sucked through but at a very slow rate. I actually think I may have even broken the pump pushing it so much as it seems a bit loose and dodgey now. I ended up having to fill the filter with water myself before I could start it.

Finally do people think the EHEIM Pro 3 2080 is sufficient for a 180G? Reason I ask is because I've read that some people say you need to have your tanks volume of water turned over 10x in an hour. With this filter I'd get nowhere near that although the manufactures claim it can be used for tanks much bigger than mine?

Thanks people.

Last edited:

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Jeff,
I definitely think the 2080 is probably a little insufficient for a 180G (~680L), the 2080 has a flow rate of 450GPH (1700l/h). Depending on your stocking of course. Ideally, you'd want at least 5 x turnover (900GPH, 3400 l/h) if your stocking is light-moderate. If you have higher stocking or hi-bioload fish, then around 8x turnover would be better.

I don't know of many single filter (in Aus) capable of that sort of flow rate Fluval G series tops out at 650GPH [240V version] (3.6x), Eheim top out at 488GPH (2.7x) on the Pro3e 2078, Aqua One ~400GPH, Rena XP4 ~450GPH

Jebo might be the only one, the Giant 950 does a supposed ~950GPH but I don't know how accurate that is.

Unless you wanted to look at pond filters ???

NB: Most manufacturers quote flowrates without media, Eheim quote with media in.

Generally, I would suggest using multiple filters on that size tank, or a great big custom sump filter underneath (not sure how suitable sumps are for FW though )

As for priming your Pro3, I don't have direct experience, however a quick look on their website, the canister holds 25 litres (6.6G), so I would imagine there'd be a lot of priming involved.

Hope this helps.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Ryan. I was getting the impression I didn't have enough filtration, especially after reading some of Ken's posts on filtration.

I really don't want to have more tubes running out of the tank so an internal filter that turns over 1700l/h might have to be an option. I actually do have an 800l/h pump in the tank with a big piece of sponge on the intake that I hide under the ceramic in the tank but that's probably not suffice. At the moment there is only a 7inch GT and 5inch B Acara in there but obviously I want to add more. I have two Bala's that I'll end up housing in the 180G when they outgrow the 85G. I also wanted to get some more SA Cichlids but I'm not going to heavily stock the tank.

I still haven't solved the problem of only one of my intakes working on a high flow rate either. Hmm maybe the filter is a dud which is why I got the setup so cheap...

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm, again, that might present a problem.

The biggest Eheim internal is the Power Line 2252 @ 1200l/hr. Fluval U4 @ 1000l/hr, Aqua One 103F 1200l/hr.

Here's a thought:
Keep the canister as it is, then bang on an Eheim 2252 internal full of bio media only. Let the canister take care of the mechanical and bio, and the internal bio only.
That might give you the bio filtering you need, otherwise I think you're looking at 2 x Internal filters + the canister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom