Anyone Love Honey Gouramis As Much As I Do???

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by yinoma2001, Jul 25, 2019.

1. yinoma2001

yinoma2001Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +180
    Experience:
    1 year
    Just got 2 more to make it 4 in my 40 gallon breeder. They are so beautiful to look at and only top out at 2 inches (I have all females right now). They are such a polite fish and friendly with every other fish i have in my tank. I think they make the perfect companion aesthetically and behavior-wise in almost every fish tank. Highly recommended.

2. OP
    OP
    yinoma2001

Ratings:
    +180
    Experience:
    1 year
    Also, I can never find male honey gouramis for some reason. At the boxstores and my LFS. Are they more rare or difficult to obtain? Just bad luck?

3. hanra85

hanra85Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +149
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ohh, me... me... I do! If I had to choose just one species to keep, it'd be these guys... They're easy to breed, they look great, awesome color especially when breeding, and they don't bully even the smallest of tankmates... Have them in with some juvenile CPDs, no problems. Do you know for sure they're females, juvenile honeys can be harder to sex sometimes. Post a few photos and show them off.

4. OP
    OP
    yinoma2001

Ratings:
    +180
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hmm maybe. One of the 4 is showing some gray at the bottom fin, but otherwise all 4 look like females. Maybe you're right and they're just too young.

But I just love watching my honey gourami. We started off with a platy tank a year ago and we gave them away thankfully and replaced them with these honey gourami. So much nicer tankmates.

5. Dedife

DedifeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have 2 in my 36 gallon! I agree, I love watching them. So peaceful.

6. Elkinsw67

Elkinsw67New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I am right with you on this. I have two sunset gouramis and they are so easy to keep. I also have two opalines and I cannot say the same of them! They don't bother other fish. They torment each other!

7. OP
    OP
    yinoma2001

Ratings:
    +180
    Experience:
    1 year
    I really want to find a male honey gourami but haven't seen any in any Petcos or my LFS. I know some are sold as juveniles but they do have characteristic marks on them that I never see. It seems mostly females are sold...ugh.

8. watermelon46

watermelon46Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +142
    Experience:
    1 year
    I love my honey gourami! So peaceful, and coloful. I've only kept them in smaller tanks but I'm sure they would look great in big community tanks,too.