Anyone known guppies to be jumpers?

purple_phoenix

I put one of my male guppies in a 1-2g goldfish bowl to give him some meds and make sure he was eating okay, as he was getting hassle from another male. As it has no heater, I left it ontop of my biggest tank, as you can feel the heat from the lighting unit through the top.

I go to check on him, and he's not there. He's not on the top of the tank, he's not in the tank, and I haven't put him back and forgotten. So... I step back and check the carpet just in case. Nothing.

I sit back down and half-conciously pick at a lump on the bottom of my sock, and... find my guppy

He must have jumped out, then I stood on him Has anyone else had guppies that have jumped out? I guess something might've scared him.

My angelfish died yesterday too... I feel like that girl on Finding Nemo who always kills her fish

armadillo

Oh no. That's really a lot of bad luck for two days. RIP, guppy and angel.

I think I vaguely remember someone warning me about a guppy jumping, but I could actually be confused. If it rings a bell, it's definitely not a distinct (or recent) one.

Was he dry already when you picked him up, or had the jump just happened?

purple_phoenix

No, he was dry. I never thought I'd have a problem. I've heard about oscars jumping, and am very careful with mine - but never guppies.

I'm hoping my bad luck will end soon. I don't want all my fish wiped out...
(And our entire back garden's already becoming a pet cemetary)

Ugh... I didn't know I was so attached to these fish.

armadillo

Yeah, it can be a total bummer, can't it? I had no idea I was so attached to a white female molly I've lost last week, and I was just totally devastated.

COBettaCouple

livebearers will jump.. when I take ours out of the tank, I'll cover the container now because before I started doing that, one of our platys jumped out of the bowl while I was cleaning their tank and would've been a goner if I hadn't happened to be close enough to hear her hit the counter when she jumped.. that's how I learned they'll jump & jump pretty good too.

we're sorry you lost him.. like us, you didn't know they jumped. :'(

purple_phoenix

Well I've learned from it now. It's just a shame that I had to lose a fish in the process. He must've jumped a good distance away from where he was, unless he was flopping about afterwards.
I wish I had been there :'(

COBettaCouple

yea, unfortunately, they're just acting on instinct and this seems to be the way most of us learn. we were forunate with our platy girl, but have had other fish jump out of tanks or containers at different times, losing 2 of them. all we can do is our best & learn what we can to keep getting to be better fish keepers.

purple_phoenix said:
Well I've learned from it now. It's just a shame that I had to lose a fish in the process. He must've jumped a good distance away from where he was, unless he was flopping about afterwards.
I wish I had been there :'(

wolfman21

I've never had any guppies jump or try to jump but I suppose its not impossible. I've heard that chinese algae eaters are infamous for jumping, but never guppies.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom