Anyone Know What Snail This Is?

<>< Rhys ><>

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry for the quality of the picture.

They are getting annoying because every mourning i keep seeing a floating part of a plant.

Attachments

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Probably a bladder snail. They breed like crazy and are very hard to get rid of.

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like a bladder snail, but its not really that easy to tell since the camera is focused on the plants and wood, and not the snail.
Siiick said:
They are getting annoying because every mourning i keep seeing a floating part of a plant.
Maybe look into taking care of the plant instead of the snail, since bladder snails will not eat living plants, only the dead parts of it.

<>< Rhys ><>

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishFish221 said:
Looks like a bladder snail, but its not really that easy to tell since the camera is focused on the plants and wood, and not the snail.

Maybe look into taking care of the plant instead of the snail, since bladder snails will not eat living plants, only the dead parts of it.
I Give them lighting at least 12 hours a day no ferts.

Tabascopanda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Siiick said:
I Give them at least 12 hours a day no .
too much lights. dial it back to like 7 or 8 and add ferts either root tabs or a liquid fert. your plants will thank you

Paradise fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bladder snails can actually be a great addition to a planted tank. They eat algae from the glass, algae from your plants, clean up dying plants, eat your leftover fish food, and organics within the gravel. Essentially, they're doing what you should be doing as a responsible aquarist. They'll only multiply like crazy if you don't do your regular maintenance. Think of them like your little helpers. If you don't do your part keeping your tank clean, they'll breed and multiply to do your share of the work. So, maybe you're over feeding or feeding too much at once. Maybe you need to gravel vacuum. You may also need to trim and clean your plants, wipe off algae from the glass, or add more plants to reduce algae. Or you may also leave the light on for way too long. Plants only use 8 hours of light per day efficiently. Anything more than that feeds algae more than the plants.

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a bladder snail. It reproduces by its lonely self and the moment any food touches that tank it will lay eggs. Just FYI. I'm stuck with 1 that is now more like 10, but they're pets now so I can't just toss them. Would've been 1000000 by now if I didn't realize I need to not feed it and remove the eggs.

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
tunafax said:
That's a bladder snail. It reproduces by its lonely self and the moment any food touches that tank it will lay eggs. Just FYI.
Bladder snails are hermaphrodites, and require two to breed, but any two will do.

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FishFish221 I completely respect that, however a lot of info online says that many infestations started with 1 bladder snail that self-fertilized. Same happened in my tank, where the single snail hatched and kept laying eggs. There is no way I missed more snails because the tank is 1 gallon.

Something about self-fertilization/parthenogenesis. Sounds neat and fun, but in practice is very much the opposite of fun when I had to deal with it. :banghead:

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
tunafax said:
FishFish221 I completely respect that, however a lot of info online says that many infestations started with 1 bladder snail that self-fertilized. Same happened in my tank, where the single snail hatched and kept laying eggs. There is no way I missed more snails because the tank is 1 gallon.

Something about self-fertilization/parthenogenesis. Sounds neat and fun, but in practice is very much the opposite of fun when I had to deal with it. :banghead:
Maybe they can store sperm or something like that? No one has really done any research on those things though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom