Anyone Know What Kind Of Diffuser This Is?

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by TheBettaSushi, May 19, 2019.

1. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

I was looking at some aquascape ideas and came across this YouTube video. Near the end of it, I saw that this co2 diffuser mists gas (??) instead of your typical bubble diffuser.

Anyone know what this diffuser is? Does it require anything specific in order for it to work unlike the other bubble diffusers on the market?

Sorry if I sound stupid... I’m new to co2 and I’m looking into co2 equipment that I’d like to incorporate in my setup.

Here’s a photo I snapped from the creator of this tank... it’s gorgeous and it’s something that I might want to replicate.
    33329F01-F4B6-48BC-8D01-A5F4035BB4ED.png

Attached Files:

2. Bot Well Known Member Member

Not co2. Algae inhibitor(twinstar m3).

3. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

Aha!!!! I seriously thought it was a co2 diffuser lol shows you how much I know about these things. Thanks!

Is it even necessary?

4. Bot Well Known Member Member

Nope

5. -Mak- Fishlore VIP Member

Not necessary, it's kind of confusing how they work too but those who use them claim they work

Then again it's mostly experienced aquascapers/planted tank owners who use them and those are the people who are more likely to be able to control algae anyways :D

6. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

Hmm... doesn’t sound too promising and apparently only works the way it’s supposed to on new setups that haven’t accumulated algae growth yet.

I’m wondering if a uv sterilizer would be a better choice? I’ve read that uv sterilizes kill algae. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

7. -Mak- Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not familiar with them, but I'm guessing they only kill green water algae since those are the ones that go through the filter? Really not sure, sorry!

8. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

They work using hydrolysis to create a mist of oxygen gas. The oxygen binds with organics and algal spores in the water, oxidizing it and preventing algae.

A simpler way to achieve the same thing is to use a Sochting Oxidator, which is a glass vial of hydrogen peroxide solution and a catylist to break down the solution into pure water and oxygen. Just like the Twinstar M3, the oxygen binds to organic particles and oxidizes them to neutralize them and prevent them from being taken up by algae.

9. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

Awesome thanks!!! I’ve been reading up on the twinstar some more and I guess one person who used it in their tank killed off their fish but they were using salt in their tank... of course I can’t find the article now when I want to link it but I just wanted to know what it was and if it actually worked and was worth it. Another thing they mentioned was that it uses electrolysis (I believe this was in reference to chihiros doctor brand) so not sure if that’s safe for livestock with long term use.

10. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Too much oxygen is toxic, the device only operates maybe 30 seconds once or twice a day.

11. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

I know about the oxygen content in the aquarium, I just wasn’t sure about this gadget. Thanks!!