Anyone know of another plant that looks like this one?

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I picked up this white ribbon plant and didn’t realize until I got home it was only semi-aquatic. Anyone know of a fully aquatic plant that looks similar? (I.e. muted green and white, similar long/broad/pointed shaped leaves) I decided to plop it in the tank anyways, though I know it’ll start dying after a while, but I would like a replacement
C8FF03BB-9658-4C90-8FF6-66E117CF43C3.jpeg

(Yes, this tank is on the floor lol)

Zachsnanotanks

Reaction score
Dewclaw83 said:
So I picked up this white ribbon plant and didn’t realize until I got home it was only semi-aquatic. Anyone know of a fully aquatic plant that looks similar? (I.e. muted green and white, similar long/broad/pointed shaped leaves) I decided to plop it in the tank anyways, though I know it’ll start dying after a while, but I would like a replacement

The closest plant that resembles that would be am Amazon sword or any other type of sword

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dewclaw83 said:

I made the same mistake of getting those when I first set up my 55 and they died off and fouled up the water around the 2 month mark. I would remove them and see if you can set up a planter at the surface of your tank to see if they thrive for you. Also agree the closest match would be a Sword.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Zachsnanotanks said:
The closest plant that resembles that would be am Amazon sword or any other type of sword
Are there swords that have white on them??

kallililly1973 said:
I made the same mistake of getting those when I first set up my 55 and they died off and fouled up the water around the 2 month mark. I would remove them and see if you can set up a planter at the surface of your tank to see if they thrive for you. Also agree the closest match would be a Sword.
Yeah, I read that that happens, I decided that when I see them start dying I’ll pull them out and plant them.

However, I did show that pic to my dad (who kept fish many many years ago) and he said “Oh I used to have those! I never had them die that I recall.” This either means there’s hope for them living underwater, or there’s something similar out there! :D

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dewclaw83 said:
Are there swords that have white on them??

Yeah, I read that that happens, I decided that when I see them start dying I’ll pull them out and plant them.

However, I did show that pic to my dad (who kept fish many many years ago) and he said “Oh I used to have those! I never had them die that I recall.” This either means there’s hope for them living underwater, or there’s something similar out there! :D
The other options you could go with are some java ferns they have a bit more of a krinkled leaf and can be tied to hardscape by their rhizome instead of being planted. Could also try red tiger lotus they look nice. I'de be curious to see how he got them to survive unless there IS a species of swords that have white in them. Did you get yours from a chain store ( I got mine from petco ) or from a local mom n pops shop? Just curious

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have not seen any with white stripes.

Look through the pages in this link and see if there are any that you like. I have dealt with these people several times. The plants are the best I have ever seen. But not cheap. Well worth the price. Swords Echinorodus bleheri, green melon, Amazon sword, micro sword, red melon, ozelot.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a white marbled sword, which throws out spotted white varigation. So may not be what your after

Anubias 'panda' may also be a good option, but it doesn't throw out white stripes like you're after, but very easy to grow. (Anubias white and pinto are also good options)

If you can source it, variegated java fern is probably your best bet. Another group I'm on, a member has varigated java fern and wowee, it looks pretty. I really want to get my hands on it. It has the lesf shape you're after, and has the white on the outside boardering the green.

Edit: its microsorum 'tricolor'

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
kallililly1973 said:
The other options you could go with are some java ferns they have a bit more of a krinkled leaf and can be tied to hardscape by their rhizome instead of being planted. Could also try red tiger lotus they look nice. I'de be curious to see how he got them to survive unless there IS a species of swords that have white in them. Did you get yours from a chain store ( I got mine from petco ) or from a local mom n pops shop? Just curious
This one I picked up at Petsmart, but it’s the same brand petco carries, they just didn’t have this specific one at the store near me (I’m lucky enough to have both within 5 minutes of my house lol)
I’d be curious to see that too, if it even is the same plant lol

Thunder_o_b said:
I have not seen any with white stripes.

Look through the pages in this link and see if there are any that you like. I have dealt with these people several times. The plants are the best I have ever seen. But not cheap. Well worth the price. Swords Echinorodus bleheri, green melon, Amazon sword, micro sword, red melon, ozelot.
That is a lovely selection! Thanks for the link, the plants do look quite lovely :)

aussieJJDude said:
I have a white marbled sword, which throws out spotted white varigation. So may not be what your after

Anubias 'panda' may also be a good option, but it doesn't throw out white stripes like you're after, but very easy to grow. (Anubias white and pinto are also good options)

If you can source it, variegated java fern is probably your best bet. Another group I'm on, a member has varigated java fern and wowee, it looks pretty. I really want to get my hands on it. It has the lesf shape you're after, and has the white on the outside boardering the green.

Edit: its microsorum 'tricolor'
I looked up both those plants and both look great! They would make good replacements. I’ll have to see if I can’t track some down
Although it looks like they may have some an option on the website Thunder_o_b mentioned!:
Sword Radican Marble Queen (Echinodorus cordifolius 'Tropical Marble Queen')

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dewclaw83 said:
I looked up both those plants and both look great! They would make good replacements. I’ll have to see if I can’t track some down
Although it looks like they may have some an option on the website Thunder_o_b mentioned!:
Sword Radican Marble Queen (Echinodorus cordifolius 'Tropical Marble Queen')
Depending on which ones you looked up, yeah. I do agree. (However anubias with white variation is simply my fav!)

The marble queen is probably going to be right up your alley, and its rsther low maintainence.

jessiegail06

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've seen a bunch of people use white ribbon in their tanks, but they always either put it inside a HOB filter or suction it near the top of the tank so that the leaves are out of the water. It grows up out of the back of the tank but the roots stay underwater and soak up nutrients. I've never personally tried it, but am considering giving it a go because it looks cool!

New Threads