Question Anyone Know How To Bleach Plants

Fuzzyfishkeeper

Active Member
Member
Messages
301
Reaction score
41
I have a lot of algae and would like to know if anyone knows or has experience in bleaching plants to kill off the algae
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,785
Reaction score
4,045
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently bleached plants to got rid of snails and the help I found was 1gal of tap water three quarters of a cup of bleech in a bucket, hardy plants leave in for 5 minutes and more delicate for 3 minutes, then remove and put in a bucket of de-chlorinated water give a good rinse and repeat the de-chlorinated process. I found twice was enough to get rid of the bleach small. That's the only experience I've had
 

ec0830

Active Member
Member
Messages
78
Reaction score
24
Location
Washington DC
Experience
3 years
I recently did the exact same thing, it seemed to work great as now I haven't seen any snails on any of the plants I bleached. Just be cautious when dipping them and be sure to use gloves of some sort to protect your skin. I've heard that while the plants are soaking in the dechlorinated water, you can use a toothbrush and gently scrub off the algae on the leaves
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Fuzzyfishkeeper

Fuzzyfishkeeper

Active Member
Member
Messages
301
Reaction score
41
I did solve it with this algae killer chemical and the algae has stopped growing completely
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Fuzzyfishkeeper

Fuzzyfishkeeper

Active Member
Member
Messages
301
Reaction score
41
Frill algae clean out. It worked better then my expectations but killed on of my shirmp because it molted a couple of hours before I used it. It does say it may hurt invertebrates but my other shrimp and fish have been great
 

yukondog

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,170
Reaction score
1,046
Location
N.W.FL.
Experience
5 years
Did it get rid of the algae or just stop growth?
Do you know what type algae it is?
 

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,777
Reaction score
1,179
Location
Weed, CA
Experience
3 years
I'm curious...would an H2o2 treatment and some salt water be more gentle? I'm still new to this and just weighing options as is Fuzzyfishkeeper.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Fuzzyfishkeeper

Fuzzyfishkeeper

Active Member
Member
Messages
301
Reaction score
41
it killed 90% of algae and all growth just dead algae matter left in my tank

Kathryn Crook said:
I'm curious...would an H2o2 treatment and some salt water be more gentle? I'm still new to this and just weighing options as is Fuzzyfishkeeper.
I don't know I've have never tried that
 

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,777
Reaction score
1,179
Location
Weed, CA
Experience
3 years
Fuzzyfishkeeper said:
I don't know I've have never tried that
Idk what kind of algae you have, but h2o2 totally beat back my green hair algae. As for snails...I plan on dipping anything moving from one tank to another in salt water (I have pond snails hitchhiked on plants) and praying that solves it. But I haven't tried it in practice. Curious if it works.
 

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,365
Reaction score
1,715
Location
Colorado
Experience
3 years
Dont bleach dip for algae. Treat it in place with h202. Just squirt some from a syringe with the plant still submerged in the water. The dead algae will become food or fall off after a few days.
 

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,777
Reaction score
1,179
Location
Weed, CA
Experience
3 years
Wraithen said:
Dont bleach dip for algae. Treat it in place with h202. Just squirt some from a syringe with the plant still submerged in the water. The dead algae will become food or fall off after a few days.
You can treat an entire tank with h2o2. Its just hydrogen peroxide. 1.5 ml per gallon...take into effect your actual water volume. In two treatments, I wiped out all my hair algae and my shrimp loved the blood dope! Haha. Its just like introducing pure oxygen into your tank. Algae hate it.
 

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,365
Reaction score
1,715
Location
Colorado
Experience
3 years
Kathryn Crook said:
You can treat an entire tank with h2o2. Its just hydrogen peroxide. 1.5 ml per gallon...take into effect your actual water volume. In two treatments, I wiped out all my hair algae and my shrimp loved the blood dope! Haha. Its just like introducing pure oxygen into your tank. Algae hate it.
Eh, I feel a lot of the peroxide efficacy is diluted in a tank quickly depending on how the tank is kept. Not to mention it can deplete some bio film which I need to have in my tank. I prefer to keep as much aufwuchs as possible in my tank and treating a whole tank vs spot treatment wouldnt allow this. On a side note, my lfs owner was super excited when I showed them how to do this. Never seen her so happy as when I showed her this a week after showing her that african butterfly fish love crickets lol.
 

Jimmie93

Well Known
Member
Messages
520
Reaction score
158
Location
Ohio
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just fill a 5 gallon bucket about 20 percent and a add a few splashes of bleach then I put my air stones or plants in for about 10 minutes and I get good results then rinse them in tap water really good before I put them in my tank.

But only 3 things can cause algae you are over feeding or leaving the light on too long/the tank is in front of a window cut these back and you will be fine small amounts of algae is actually good for aquariums.
 

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,777
Reaction score
1,179
Location
Weed, CA
Experience
3 years
Jimmie93 said:
I just fill a 5 gallon bucket about 20 percent and a add a few splashes of bleach then I put my air stones or plants in for about 10 minutes and I get good results then rinse them in tap water really good before I put them in my tank.

But only 3 things can cause algae you are over feeding or leaving the light on too long/the tank is in front of a window cut these back and you will be fine small amounts of algae is actually good for aquariums.
I agree. In trying to calm hair algae I might have starved my nerites. I do worry about that and I'm not convinced they will eat algae discs. They aren't the most adaptable of snails..
 

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,365
Reaction score
1,715
Location
Colorado
Experience
3 years
Kathryn Crook said:
I agree. In trying to calm hair algae I might have starved my nerites. I do worry about that and I'm not convinced they will eat algae discs. They aren't the most adaptable of snails..
I can't ever get anything to eat alternate foods. Nothing in my tanks ever eats fresh veggies, and the only things that eat food not meant for them is my super greedy amanos when they steal shrimp pellets from my kuhlis.
 

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,777
Reaction score
1,179
Location
Weed, CA
Experience
3 years
Wraithen said:
I can't ever get anything to eat alternate foods. Nothing in my tanks ever eats fresh veggies, and the only things that eat food not meant for them is my super greedy amanos when they steal shrimp pellets from my kuhlis.
My mystery snails (specially the female) loves her spinach! Shes about the only one that cares for veg. Carrots sit in the tank for a week before they are attractive. (Raw). So I sont worry about food for anyother critters cept my nerites. I heard nerites MAY eat sushI seaweed wraps. Curious if this is possible. The norI wraps..
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
227
Guests online
3,005
Total visitors
3,232

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom