Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Anyone Know How To Bleach Plants Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Fuzzyfishkeeper, Dec 2, 2018.

1. FuzzyfishkeeperValued MemberMember

I have a lot of algae and would like to know if anyone knows or has experience in bleaching plants to kill off the algae

2. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

I recently bleached plants to got rid of snails and the help I found was 1gal of tap water three quarters of a cup of bleech in a bucket, hardy plants leave in for 5 minutes and more delicate for 3 minutes, then remove and put in a bucket of de-chlorinated water give a good rinse and repeat the de-chlorinated process. I found twice was enough to get rid of the bleach small. Thats the only experience I've had

3. ec0830Valued MemberMember

I recently did the exact same thing, it seemed to work great as now I haven't seen any snails on any of the plants I bleached. Just be cautious when dipping them and be sure to use gloves of some sort to protect your skin. I've heard that while the plants are soaking in the dechlorinated water, you can use a toothbrush and gently scrub off the algae on the leaves

4. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Have you solved why you have the algae problem?

5. FuzzyfishkeeperValued MemberMember

i did solve it with this algae killer chemical and the algae has stopped growing completely

6. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Incase I should ever need it what was the product?

7. FuzzyfishkeeperValued MemberMember

Frill algae clean out. It worked better then my expectations but killed on of my shirmp because it molted a couple of hours before i used it. It does say it may hurt invertebrates but my other shrimp and fish have been great

8. yukondogWell Known MemberMember

Did it get rid of the algae or just stop growth?
    Do you know what type algae it is?

9. Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

Im curious...would an H2o2 treatment and some salt water be more gentle? Im still new to this and just weighing options as is @Fuzzyfishkeeper.

10. FuzzyfishkeeperValued MemberMember

it killed 90% of algae and all growth just dead algae matter left in my tank

11. FuzzyfishkeeperValued MemberMember

I don't know I've have never tried that

12. Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

Idk what kind of algae you have, but h2o2 totally beat back my green hair algae. As for snails...i plan on dipping anything moving from one tank to another in salt water (i have pond snails hitchhiked on plants) and praying that solves it. But I havent tried it in practice. Curious if it works.

13. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Dont bleach dip for algae. Treat it in place with h202. Just squirt some from a syringe with the plant still submerged in the water. The dead algae will become food or fall off after a few days.

14. Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

You can treat an entire tank with h2o2. Its just hydrogen peroxide. 1.5 ml per gallon...take into effect your actual water volume. In two treatments, i wiped out all my hair algae and my shrimp loved the blood dope! Haha. Its just like introducing pure oxygen into your tank. Algae hate it.

15. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Eh, I feel a lot of the peroxide efficacy is diluted in a tank quickly depending on how the tank is kept. Not to mention it can deplete some bio film which I need to have in my tank. I prefer to keep as much aufwuchs as possible in my tank and treating a whole tank vs spot treatment wouldnt allow this. On a side note, my lfs owner was super excited when I showed them how to do this. Never seen her so happy as when I showed her this a week after showing her that african butterfly fish love crickets lol.

16. Jimmie93Valued MemberMember

I just fill a 5 gallon bucket about 20 percent and a add a few splashes of bleach then I put my air stones or plants in for about 10 minutes and I get good results then rinse them in tap water really good before I put them in my tank.

But only 3 things can cause algae you are over feeding or leaving the light on too long/the tank is in front of a window cut these back and you will be fine small amounts of algae is actually good for aquariums.

17. Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

I agree. In trying to calm hair algae I might have starved my nerites. I do worry about that and Im not convinced they will eat algae discs. They arent the most adaptable of snails..

18. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

I cant ever get anything to eat alternate foods. Nothing in my tanks ever eats fresh veggies, and the only things that eat food not meant for them is my super greedy amanos when they steal shrimp pellets from my kuhlis.

19. Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

My mystery snails (specially the female) loves her spinach! Shes about the only one that cares for veg. Carrots sit in the tank for a week before they are attractive. (Raw). So I sont worry about food for anyother critters cept my nerites. I heard nerites MAY eat sushi seaweed wraps. Curious if this is possible. The nori wraps..