Anyone Know Anything On/about This?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CloudTheFluffy, Oct 12, 2018.

1. CloudTheFluffy

CloudTheFluffyValued MemberMember

Sooooooooooooooooo Doing some research for a science project and I'm wondering if anyone knows any sources of studies/tests/whatever about fish with completely bare tanks vs decorated tanks (basic stuff, substrate, at least one hiding spot) I'm having trouble finding anything and I need at least 5 sources >.<

(Basically help me with my science project because I am incompetent)

2. lilabug4545

lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

What exactly are you looking for? Any specific species? Are you looking for things such as 'are bettas more active in decorated tanks' or things like 'more guppy fry are able to survive in decorated tanks'?

3. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

You'll have to narrow your research more than just bare bottom vs decorated in order to find related studies. Try using things like ebsco host and other things that may be available to you though school

4. KalykeWell Known MemberMember

Aquarium keeping is a combination of many fields and sub-fields of study, and so the scientists are often focused on one small area of that. For instance, someone might study Plecostomus, as an anatomist, and someone might study the breeding behavior or the ecology of the Pleco. I would think that there are no such things as "aquarium" scientists, but there are aquarists, who are like super fish tank guys. There are zoologists, marine and fish experts in science (Ichthyologists, oceanographers, hydrologists, ecologists, also people who work with various healthy bacteria). These people would concern themselves with the specific fish that they study, and the healthy ecology and environment of waterways. A lot of knowledge has come from trial and error by fish breeders as well. The things you ask like how to make fish "happy" so they will breed, and how to make baby fish feel safe so they don't die of stress is part of that. I think that a person doing a science project would talk to and get sources from a person who works at an aquarium. A large city aquarium keeps many important, high-end fish, and know how to put systems together that optimize their survival. If you give them enough time (don't try to get a rush answer,) an aquarist can tell you who the important researchers are, and where to find information that can help you, and maybe give you a tour.

There are a lot of sciences, like Paleontology where there are few real jobs, but knowledgeable amateurs contribute as well by writing papers and so on.

5. Rylan

RylanWell Known MemberMember

Yes, I agree being more specific will help. Also, you’re probably already aware of this but many at my school and even my college weren’t at the time - You could also use   to pull up scholarly reference works alone when doing web searches. It’s very helpful.

6. Scubagirl1

Scubagirl1Valued MemberMember

Hi
    I'm not sure what grade level this is for or how indepth it needs to be. Do you need to create a tank to go with the decision you choose is best ? Bare vs covered? Both can be beautiful. I prefer covered over bare.

Either way this utube site will help get you started. If you have any more specifics of what the instructor is looking for I'd be glad to help.

Related articles

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice