anyone know anything bout the odyssea brand name? Question 

pokechop1980

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i recently got a 48" odyssea light from someone. it has 6 lunars, 2x96 pc, and 2x175 halides. my first question is are the halides the right wattage, i mean it says 150w on the base socket.i would also like to know where i might be able to get some replacement parts for this light fixture. apparently the previous owner neglected this fixture bases upon the amount of salt scale on the inside of the lenses. upon cleaning the lights, i noticed that one of the wires coming off from 1 of the halides was corroded/rusted through. so now i need a new base socket, and i would also like to replace all the protective covers as well. so if any one knows where i could find these, it would be greatly appreciated.

is there any other brands that i could use to get the same parts?

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
pokechop1980 said:
i recently got a 48" odyssea light from someone. it has 6 lunars, 2x96 pc, and 2x175 halides. my first question is are the halides the right wattage, i mean it says 150w on the base socket.i would also like to know where i might be able to get some replacement parts for this light fixture. apparently the previous owner neglected this fixture bases upon the amount of salt scale on the inside of the lenses. upon cleaning the lights, i noticed that one of the wires coming off from 1 of the halides was corroded/rusted through. so now i need a new base socket, and i would also like to replace all the protective covers as well. so if any one knows where i could find these, it would be greatly appreciated.

is there any other brands that i could use to get the same parts?
Aquacave, marinedepot sales the sockets. THere really isn't any specific brands on socket since they're the same for all halides (unless is DE). The difference is the ballast. I'm not sure of the covers though.

Oddysea is a brand that has gotten pretty bad reviews in the past. Ballast on fire, bulbs broken, etc. Lately, it has gotten pretty good reviews with the exception of the bulbs. Most of its fixture are cheaper copies of coralife light fixtures.

pokechop1980

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
it has de 175w bulbs in it....the centers of the bulbs are black and the also have the odyssea name still on them. so i assume all the bulbs are stock from when it was new.

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
pokechop1980 said:
it has de 175w bulbs in it....the centers of the bulbs are black and the also have the odyssea name still on them. so i assume all the bulbs are stock from when it was new.
I would replace the bulbs.

pokechop1980

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
right now bulbs arent the issue....the current issue is to find a replacement mh light bulb socket...it apparently takes a r7s base socket.....i wish i could find someone selling these inside the USA....the other problem i have is i don't have any of the legs to sit it on top of my tank.
is there any known problems with this light? i also thought to fix it and sell it, but have mixed thoughts.
does anyone know of a place where i can get replacement parts for this?
i would like the socket and all the legs with the mounting bracket

someone please help
thanks

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you would have google the brand, you would know that the bulbs is an issue.....the whole fixture could be the issue (ballast failures)

The company has a reputation where the ballast will usually set on fire. The bulbs will change spectrums every half a year compared to branded bulbs which lasts a bout a year. WHen the spectrum changes, there's a chance of algae bloom. But as I said, letely the brand has gotten a not too bad reviews, but that only goes for the later models. I do not know what model yours is.

If it uses r7s, which means that the bulb are HQI (double ended) 150w HQI sockets will run 175w as well.

Here's your repalcement socket

Bulb

Legs/Hanging
(some of them might work for oddysea. Oddysea is not exatcly a pirated brand, but they copied the designs of some brands.)

Oddysea hanging kit (from wall)

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fixture is not an issue buy a replacement bulb that is same wattage and same socket that this takes you can find them at LFS or online does not matter. There are MH that have a socket that is the same as a light bulb in the house or a Hqi that has a double socket or a single socket which is like a straight bulb with two sides and you can have a single sided as well. Send a pic so I can help you on what bulb to get this would help you to see what type bulbs to get!!!!

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stang Man said:
The fixture is not an issue buy a replacement bulb that is same wattage and same socket that this takes you can find them at LFS or online does not matter. There are MH that have a socket that is the same as a light bulb in the house or a Hqi that has a double socket or a single socket which is like a straight bulb with two sides and you can have a single sided as well. Send a pic so I can help you on what bulb to get this would help you to see what type bulbs to get!!!!
r7s is basically another name for a HQI (double ended bulb) socket if you're talking about lights that are only used in the hobby

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ATP just trying to get a heads up on what type bulb to fit the socket but still have not heard anything so don't asume that I don't know what i'm talking about!!!!

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stang Man said:
ATP just trying to get a heads up on what type bulb to fit the socket but still have not heard anything so don't asume that I don't know what i'm talking about!!!!
sorry.

I didnt mean to put it that way. What I meant to say is that he said the socket was r7s which I'm pretty sure its a DE socket. I thought you missed that so I posted that on my post, but didnt mean it in a way that you said.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads