Anyone know anything about Xingu Pike cichlids?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mattmez, Aug 2, 2015.

1. MattmezValued MemberMember

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Rogue

RogueValued MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    M

MattmezValued MemberMember

Do you know if they would eat a black ghost Knifefish?

4. Rogue

RogueValued MemberMember

They may not necessarily eat it outright. However, considering their aggressive tendencies, there is a risk that they could harass it to death.

I am assuming you are looking at the larger species of pikes. If you bought them at a similar size, they would eventually grow to a similar size of a black ghost knife. But, being larger cichlids - these guys play rough, especially with each other. The knife could also get caught in the crossfire.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Ah I see. What tank mates do you have with them.

6. Rogue

RogueValued MemberMember

I personally have never tried this combination, but I do have a friend that kept a black ghost knife. He had a large tank and had a difficult time finding tankmates that he could keep with it.

The fish that he liked didn't necessarily cohabit with the knife very well. He tried many different fish, even another knife. What happened was either the knife was too aggressive and it killed the other tankmates, or the other tankmates were too aggressive for the knife.

The second scenario is what how I would see it going down if you put the pikes with a ghost knife. Personally, I wouldn't put the knife with an aggressive cichlid like that.

7. OP
    OP
    M

Actually now I am wanting to put the pike with a tiger knifefish which are bigger and more aggressive. The Tigers can reach 24" and aren't as timid as the BGK. So I think maybe they would do better than a Black ghost.

8. Rogue

RogueValued MemberMember

That one sounds like it would be a better bet. Just make sure it is a true tiger and not one of the commonly confused species.

Just out of curiosity, what size tank are you planning on for these monsters?

9. OP
    OP
    M

I am doing a 275gal. And it is a true tiger. They are $125 and I will definantly make sure it is.... I don't want to end up with a carapo ;)

10. Rogue

RogueValued MemberMember

I sure hope you plan on posting pics of those bad boys - and the tank of course ;)

11. OP
    OP
    M

Yes I will. I am doing a amazonian setup. I previously bought a 500g on Craigslist but it cracked on delivery. So I picked up a 275g for half the price. I will post pics when it is done!

12. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

In a 275 a BGK should be OK with a pike. I think you've made up your mind on a tiger though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice