Anyone know any peacock gudgeon sellers in Sydney?

CertifiedFishNoob

Recently I've been looking to buy some peacock gudgeons but my local fish stores don't seem to have any. Anyone else in Sydney know where I can get some? I have found one person on gumtree who sells them but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

BigManAquatics

I have heard they can be tough to find in stores in that part of the world. Yeoy may be able to shed some light on your dilemna. They are maybe my first or second favorite fish in my tanks, so don't blame you for wanting some!

Flyfisha

Hi CertiiedFishNoob ,
welcome to fishlore.
Almost all shops in Australia order their weekly order of fish from the one importer. We are free to go online and see what is available from week to week. Most if not all shops will order fish for you with their weekly order. Many will ring you on the day of delivery and you pick up the bags before they are added to shop water.
There is a handful of shops that can import and have the permit to quarantine etc etc . They are rare with this shop below in Penrith being one that works with regular customers.
First the importers site.
Wholesale Freshwater Fish - Aquarium Industries

A link to one of the few shops that has the permits to import. They also buy fish from local breeders.
Allfish2u Penriths best aquarium store

Bookmark aquarium industries site.
Page one of 20 pages of fish that were available 2 days ago when last updated.
CF8BF406-1764-4A42-B665-34113457C3AB.png

CertifiedFishNoob

Hi CertiiedFishNoob ,
welcome to fishlore.
Almost all shops in Australia order their weekly order of fish from the one importer. We are free to go online and see what is available from week to week. Most if not all shops will order fish for you with their weekly order. Many will ring you on the day of delivery and you pick up the bags before they are added to shop water.
There is a handful of shops that can import and have the permit to quarantine etc etc . They are rare with this shop below in Penrith being one that works with regular customers.
First the importers site.
Wholesale Freshwater Fish - Aquarium Industries

A link to one of the few shops that has the permits to import. They also buy fish from local breeders.
Allfish2u Penriths best aquarium store

Bookmark aquarium industries site.
Page one of 20 pages of fish that were available 2 days ago when last updated.
CF8BF406-1764-4A42-B665-34113457C3AB.png
Thanks! If the guy on gumtree doesn't have any I'll definitely make sure to ask one of the fish stores near me to put in an order (I'll probably try petbarn first)

GlennO

There's a couple of online sellers that carry them but shipping livestock at present is bit risky with possible delays. Getting your LFS to order them in would be safer.

CertifiedFishNoob

Update: I ended up talking to my LFS and it turns out that peacock gudgeons are quite expensive at the moment (about 20 bucks each) so my LFS isn't really keen on purchasing any at the moment, especially considering how small they are. Looks like I'll just have to wait ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeoy

Update: I ended up talking to my LFS and it turns out that peacock gudgeons are quite expensive at the moment (about 20 bucks each) so my LFS isn't really keen on purchasing any at the moment, especially considering how small they are. Looks like I'll just have to wait ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I definitely would not use Petbarn for any livestock, especially something a bit rarer like PGs.

Some local shops will allow you to pre-pay or pre-order the fish, so you front up the $20 and assuming the fish arrive and are healthy they give them to you.

Otherwise as mentioned above, Allfish2u, LiveFish and plenty of other retailers will have them in stock regularly. As we hit the summer months you should see availability of native/Pacific region fish like the Peacock Gudgeon climb, and the price hopefully drop, as they breed in the warmer weather and many breeders keep them outside when it's warm. I've ordered fish online recently, even with the covid delays everything has been fine. If you find somewhere in Sydney you'd likely be getting them same day or next day anyway.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hellfishguy
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views