Anyone Kindly Share His/her Experience & Knowledge Regarding Chocolate Gouramis?

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi everyone!

In a book written about 50 years ago I read some very interesting things about the first experiences with the Chocolate gourami, notably about the way they reproduce, for which apparently they have various options.

A few days ago I saw them for the first time in the real: absolutely stunning ...
Has anyone experience with these fish?

My tap water has pH 8.5 and GH 11.
In the same shop where I saw the chocolate gouramis I was given Sera Super Peat:
https://www.amazon.it/Sera-super-torba-attiva-granulare/dp/B0010RN5UE/ref=asc_df_B0010RN5UE/?tag=googshopit-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=279831175595&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17474833836013068384&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1008302&hvtargid=pla-541812058552&psc=1

Would it do the job?
I have a 10.5 gallon that I could make available for these fish - if is not too small.

Thank you very much for any reaction.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The store an hour from me has some chocolate gouramis periodically and although I would love having them, everything I read says they're very difficult to keep and some of the fish I have purchased there have not made it. Those fish were of a more hardy variety and some of the chocolate gouramis looked not so swell when I saw them, so I could not bring myself to buy them knowing I had an hour drive, high pH and hardness and probably not good stock to begin with. I would love to keep these fish!! So pretty.

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
After reading your post I took a closer look at the info on the web.
I, too, am going to renounce.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After reading your post I took a closer look at the info on the web.
I, too, am going to renounce.
Oh no! I didn't mean to scare you away from them! I want someone to keep them, because they're beautiful!
Maybe some day....

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I didn't mean to scare you away from them!
You offered me the opportunity to reflect and act responsibly (which takes me quite an effort, even though if I modeled my Fishlore-name after yours it would have to be "Milk58" (If Cognac does not allude to a geographical area).
Fact is, chocolate gouramis must have been some hidden wish in a remote corner of my mind ever since I read the book I mentioned. I was still just a kid when a retired botany professor gave it to me to read: "Show this book to your mum". He died little more than a year after l had met him for the first time in the retirement home where he lived. When shortly afterwards I came back from (elementary) school, the book was on the table of our living room: his son and his family had given it to me as a remembrance.
It was published in 1960, exactly 100 years after Canestrini described Sphaerichtys osphromenoides for the first time scientifically (info from the six pages dedicated to chocolate gouramis, about three and a half text only).
they're beautiful!
They are outright stunning, and painfully cheap - only 4 bucks apiece.
Maybe some day....
I'll find a way to lower the GH.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will try them some day. With nine tanks already and plenty of other pets and living things to take care of, now is not the time. But maybe when I get some of the more rare orchids I will get the harder to keep fish. That may be when I am retired....

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
With nine tanks already and ...
If your profile page is up-to-date, it seems that you, too, share the "small-fish-in-big-tanks" idea.

The chocolate gouramis I saw last week in that store shared a small tank with dark substrate (it looked very much like the stuff I have in my 10 gallon to enhance the colors of my 3 cardinal tetras) with juvenile or young adult, they were somewhere between 1.2 and1.6 inch long, "diamond rainbow fish" - I surmise Melanotaenia praecox - Melanotaenia praecox (Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish) . The colors of the latter were beyond description, much more beautiful than anything I found on the web. Perhaps there was some special type of lighting, I'm not sure. If I am correct, they come from the same place as (your) Peacock gudgeons. The shop had them, too. And they looked real healthy.

My online fish store has Melanotaenia praecox. Given the fact that according to Seriously Fish they support a hardness of 5-15, I might as well give it a try. If necessary, I'll isolate them and use the peat I mentioned in post #1 to lower the pH.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would not put any Rainbowfish with Chocolate Gouramis. Water preferences are opposite one another on hardness and pH, sot/acid for the Gourams, hard/alkaline for the Rainbowfish. There are a few Blue Eyes species that come from fairly soft, acid waters. Also, M. praecox are typically busy Rainbowfish, and the Chocolate Gourami doesn't like a lot of activity around it.

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi. Long time, no read. Thanks for your advice.

As a matter of fact, Cognac 82's first reaction (post #2) kind of "brought me back to reality". As for now, I cannot provide the right water parameters, tank size (after starting this thread I read Chocolate gouramis want a relatively roomy aquarium) and, more importantly, I still lack the necessary experience/know-how to care properly for these intriguing but apparently very delicate fish.
(Perhaps fortunately) I cannot get them online either.

M. praecox seem to be much less of a gamble - if any at all.
And I guess they'll be suitable winter-tankmates for cardinal tetras and harlequins.

Last edited:

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love little fish. I love great big fish. Turns out, I just love fish.
The peacock gudgeons are some of my favorite fish I've had. They start and stop while swimming, and they explore the entire tank. They look great, too. I haven't as of yet kept any rainbowfish, but I love the looks of most of them, big and little.
But one day I'm going to try chocolate gouramis.... just not any time soon. Too much work!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom