Anyone kept Rheoheros coerulus?

njb235

Hi guys I recently got a Rheoheros coerulus for my cichlid community 90 gallon and it’s acting out and being a bit of a bully anyone got any experience with them?

A201

I've never even seen them for sale. Evidently one of the rarer Central American Cichlids available.
I checked in with some MFK guys for you & found out the Rheoheros
Coerulus like to be in groups. Do well in cooler, well aerated water & like to eat small invertebrates.
Might be a good idea if possible to add a few more of them.

njb235

I've never even seen them for sale. Evidently one of the rarer Central American Cichlids available.
I checked in with some MFK guys for you & found out the Rheoheros
Coerulus like to be in groups. Do well in cooler, well aerated water & like to eat small invertebrates.
Might be a good idea if possible to add a few more of them.
Thank you very much for that! I’ve been struggling to find any info on them online, unfortunately my tank is pretty much fully stocked so I’m not sure adding more is much of a possibility so I’m not sure what to do, I have the tank at 26 degrees is that too warm? But it kind of needs to stay that temp for the rest of my cichlids? Do you think it could be acting more aggressive due to lack of company?

A201

I think aeration is probably more important than temperature.
Adding a few more might dilute the aggression, but that's no guarantee.
Sounds like you have a male, which IMO is a good thing. He will likely turn out to be more colorful.
Deal with the aggression in the usual ways. Add to & rearrange the hardscape.
Territorial aggression is really no big deal as long as no physical damage occurs to the tankmates & all continue to eat.
I've kept numerous varieties of Cichlids, New World & African. All had varying levels of territorial aggression. Although it's not always fun dealing with it, once you figure out the temporary remedy, it's very satisfying.
Keep updating. You have a very uncommon Cichlid.

njb235

Sounds like you have a male, which IMO is a good thing. He will likely turn out to be more colorful.
Territorial aggression is really no big deal as long as no physical damage occurs to the tankmates & all continue to eat.
I've kept numerous varieties of Cichlids, New World & African. All had varying levels of territorial aggression. Although it's not always fun dealing with it, once you figure out the temporary remedy, it's very satisfying.
Okay thanks I’ll keep updating he’s currently in a tank w a sump set up so the outlets are relatively powerful and pointed towards surface for maximum aeration I’m hoping that’s providing enough oxygen for the fish. I’m not sure I’m going to be able to add more Rheoheros atm because I have a severum and hrp joining the tank in a couple days so will be too stocked and I’ll rearrange the tank then and hopefully that calms him down.

chromedome52

They live in very fast waters in the wild, the temperature is part of the problem because it gets them all hyped up. This is a fish that needs a special tank setup, and a single species in the tank. I think you would be better off returning it, as it will not settle down and it will get more aggressive as it grows.

I tried to keep a group of these before I had enough knowledge to be doing so. They killed each other off and the last one jumped out. These were 1.5 inch juveniles.

If you really like the species, give it a group in a very large tank with massive currents running through. Fighting the current keeps them occupied so that they don't have the excess energy to pursue tankmates.

njb235

They live in very fast waters in the wild, the temperature is part of the problem because it gets them all hyped up. This is a fish that needs a special tank setup, and a single species in the tank. I think you would be better off returning it, as it will not settle down and it will get more aggressive as it grows.

I tried to keep a group of these before I had enough knowledge to be doing so. They killed each other off and the last one jumped out. These were 1.5 inch juveniles.

If you really like the species, give it a group in a very large tank with massive currents running through. Fighting the current keeps them occupied so that they don't have the excess energy to pursue tankmates.
Thanks for your response that’s really helpful! Will he only get more aggressive as time goes on then? The tank temp is about 26 degrees what would they usually have? If that’s the case I may return him them as the setup was pretty peaceful before him?

chromedome52

Fishbase gives a temperature range of 23-25C, but I think they much prefer the lower end of that, or even a bit cooler. I believe I saw an article in Cichlid News at some point and it said that adults in regular tanks tend to be very aggressive.

njb235

Fishbase gives a temperature range of 23-25C, but I think they much prefer the lower end of that, or even a bit cooler. I believe I saw an article in Cichlid News at some point and it said that adults in regular tanks tend to be very aggressive.
Ahh I see. Is there any chance you’ve got a link to that article?

Redshark1

A guy on MonsterFishKeepers.com keeps a different species R. lentiginosus at 23C. One male with a few females. Good current and oxygenation.

One for the species tank I imagine.

njb235

I have concluded that I am going to have to rehome the fish unfortunately as my setup is just not right for it unfortunately, do you know anyone in the London area who may want it?

A201

I'm in the USA, but plenty of European Fishlore members. Maybe post your give away possibility on the "Buy Sell Trade" thread.

njb235

I'm in the USA, but plenty of European Fishlore members. Maybe post your give away possibility on the "Buy Sell Trade" thread.
Will do thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
njb235
Replies
Views
njb235
Replies
Views
TClare
  • Question