Anyone Keeping Yellow Longnose Butterflies In 75 Gals?

Discussion in 'Butterfly Fish' started by CHAMELEON_BREEZE, Feb 21, 2019.

1. CHAMELEON_BREEZE

CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    I want to see anyone who has had long term success with a Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish (Forcipiger flavissimus) in a 75 gallon tank. I know on LiveAquaria the minimum is 125 gallons, but many sources recommend 75 gallons for these fish.

Has anyone have success with these fish in a 75 gallon?

2. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    My LFS had one that was half grown in a 3 foot long holding tank and it looked really stressed and cramped in there. It would probably do a bit better in a 4 foot long 75 gallon tank since it isn't nearly as shallow, but not for long.

I was doing some thinking on this and if you are willing to forego the Triggerfish (which I think is a good idea as even a 125 is pushing it for any trigger) and can let the Longnose Yellow go, there is a Butterflyfish that does a bit better than average with inverts and it happens to be a fish that is native to Hawaiian waters. The Lemon or Milletseed butterflyfish is also suited for a 75 gallon tank. It was very high on my list of fish to get once upon a time until I got more corals and decided not to risk it:

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Lemon Butterflyfish

It does say they aren't reef safe and I would agree that they would be a big gamble with corals but I haven't heard of any complaints with them and snails.

If you could give up a couple of the bigger fish (ie Trigger and Longnose Yellow) you could also save quite a bit of money on the setup by stepping down to a 75 gallon. You could probably get a new pre-drilled 75 gallon from an LFS for $400 or less (although without the stand or anything else). That way you could have a solid full reef system that takes up less space and doesn't need as large of a scale of a skimmer, return pump, or as big of a sump (you could probably run a standard 29 gallon just like I do for a sump and be just fine). Here is a possible stock list for a standard 75 gallon reef configuration:

1 Lemon/Milletseed Butterflyfish
    1 One Spot Foxface (pushing it a bit but still possible)
    1 Clownfish
    1 Chromis
    1 Clown Goby
    1 Red Lined Wrasse (H.Biocellatus)

That would keep your tank with a generally peaceful disposition and add lots of color and activity to it without overloading it. Yes you will likely lose a snail on occasion, but beyond that it would work well and save you money.

You need to ask yourself is it worth spending hundreds of dollars more to keep a tank that is the bare minimum size for one fish you really want and one that will still outgrow it at some point or if you can let those fish go and go with a smaller setup that will save you a signficant amount of money and still give you a colorful and active tank.

3. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Ratings:
    +10
    Excellent . I'm kind of getting more and more comfortable with the 75 gallon. I haven't seen those lemon butterflies before, but I'm sure I can ask the LFS about catching one .

4. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    Unless they have a Permit, they won't do that. Not sure if you heard about the ban Hawaii put on Aquarium Fishing last year but the ban has only been lifted for about 7 months and they have stricter regulations on collection practices (which is actually a good thing IMHO) and aren't issuing any new permits. So if your LFS has had a permit for collection for a while then it is a possibility, but if not, they will have to order it from a distributor.

Here is a cool vid I found with one letting a cleaner shrimp do it's job (so it appears that there is at least one invert it is safe with):

And for a more natural look, here is a school of them off the coast of Maui:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  5. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    Oh and here is the Red Lined Wrasse:

6. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Ratings:
    +10
    Dang it... Hawaii just banned aquarium fishing in Hawaiian waters ENTIRELY! I'll NEVER be able to get that lemon butterfly (which is ONLY found in Hawaii) :mad::mad::mad:.

Is there any other butterfly what will do good in a 75 gallon?

7. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Ratings:
    +10
    Will I still be able to find a Lemon Butterfly or Kole Tang with this law.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  8. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Ratings:
    +10
  9. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Ratings:
    +10
    Wait, what does it mean by:

"Limiting the prohibition on harvesting aquatic life for commercial aquarium purposes to only harvesting that is done by using a fine-mesh net or fine-mesh trap in any state marine waters, with certain exceptions, and extending this prohibition to persons operating under a commercial marine license"

Does this show some HOPE on getting a Lemon Butterfly, Kole Tang, and other "Hawaii Only" fish?

10. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Ratings:
    +10
    Actually, I heard they're temporarily prohibiting people from fishing in Hawaiian waters to do research on whether of not the industry is actually harming reefs. If they conclude that the industry is evil, then I guess It will become a permanent ban to fish in Hawaii for aquariums.

HOWEVER, I highly doubt that the industry is evil! As long as we use sustainable fishing methods or captive breeding, It should be fine, right?

11. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Ratings:
    +10
    Actually, I heard they're temporarily prohibiting people from fishing in Hawaiian waters to do research on whether of not the industry is actually harming reefs. If they conclude that the industry is evil, then I guess It will become a permanent ban to fish in Hawaii for aquariums.

HOWEVER, I highly doubt that the industry is evil! As long as we use sustainable fishing methods or captive breeding, It should be fine, right?

12. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    I agree that aquarium fishing is a relatively small impact on life there and that there are many other things that are far more damaging to Hawaii. Not sayng they shouldn't implement some form of control on the amount being taken, fishing methods, etc. but as long as they aren't significantly affecting the sustainability of things then I don't see the issue.

BTW i did think of another Butterflyfish that might work and that is the Orange Butterflyfish aka Klien's Butterflyfish:

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Orange Butterflyfish

They come in part from Hawaii but also can be sourced from Indonesia and other south pacific markets,so you should still be able to get one and it will have a similar shape and look to the Lemon Butterflyfish. If they weren't such invert munchers, I would recommend the Spotband or Sunset Butterflyfish as they are stunning:
    Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Spotband Butterflyfish

Sunset Butterflyfish

13. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Ratings:
    +10
    I think I've seen Kleins Butters at Coral Fish HI (one of my favorite LFS over here). Or it might have been the lemon butterfly.

14. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Ratings:
    +10
    On Wikipedia, it says that Kole Tangs are endemic to Oceania (which is the region or Hawaii, Australia, etc).

Is it possible my LFS can get them from other places other than HI?

15. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    I suppose it's possible. That said I will be making some recommendations to your stocking list in the other thread.