Anyone keep neon tetras in high ph?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a peacock gudgeon in a high pH (8-8.2) and she’s doing very well. I have some neons in a 20 long but IMO they’re to active for a 10 gallon.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tetras are very sensitive fish , i wouldnt risk putting them in 8.0 pH when they require a very low pH around 6.0...

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What do you guys suggest then?

jkkgron2 said:
I have a peacock gudgeon in a high pH (8-8.2) and she’s doing very well. I have some neons in a 20 long but IMO they’re to active for a 10 gallon.
So the neons have PH of 8.2 as well?

PaprikaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is this high pH coming from your city tap water? In that case, local fish breeders may have fish that are acclimatised to a high pH or harder water. If this isnt the case, have you tried lowering pH with driftwood or peat moss or maybe even chemicals? (Which I wouldn't recommend as they can cause problems, but some aquarists swear by them.)

I keep my betta in pH 7.7 (recommended 6.5-7.0) and she does well, mostly because she and her mum and dad were born and raised in those parameters. So local breeders are definitely something to look into. Otherwise, you could try to fiddle with the pH, but in the end consistency is key.

IMHO, some fish could adapt, but maybe not neons, as they need low pH naturally and a 10 gallon isnt big enough for them.
Sorry for typos, I'm writing on my phone :joyful:

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FishGirl115 said:
What do you guys suggest then?
A pair of peacock gudgeons for sure. They’re great fish. I haven’t owned many nano fish before so I don’t have many nano fish experiences besides peacock gudgeons.
FishGirl115 said:
So the neons have PH of 8.2 as well?
Yes, but I wouldn’t do them in a 10g. While they could work IMO they just won’t thrive.

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jkkgron2 said:
A pair of peacock gudgeons for sure. They’re great fish. I haven’t owned many nano fish before so I don’t have many nano fish experiences besides peacock gudgeons.

Yes, but I wouldn’t do them in a 10g. While they could work IMO they just won’t thrive.
Kk. I'm not really a fan of the gudgeons.
PaprikaFish said:
Is this high pH coming from your city tap water? In that case, local fish breeders may have fish that are acclimatised to a high pH or harder water. If this isnt the case, have you tried lowering pH with driftwood or peat moss or maybe even chemicals? (Which I wouldn't recommend as they can cause problems, but some aquarists swear by them.)

I keep my betta in pH 7.7 (recommended 6.5-7.0) and she does well, mostly because she and her mum and dad were born and raised in those parameters. So local breeders are definitely something to look into. Otherwise, you could try to fiddle with the pH, but in the end consistency is key.

IMHO, some fish could adapt, but maybe not neons, as they need low pH naturally and a 10 gallon isnt big enough for them.
Sorry for typos, I'm writing on my phone :joyful:
Thanks. I do have driftwood. No chemicals. I had male guppies but they killed each other. Currently just have a mystery snail and four peppered corydoras in it rn

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FishGirl115 said:
Kk. I'm not really a fan of the gudgeons.

Thanks. I do have driftwood. No chemicals. I had male guppies but they killed each other. Currently just have a mystery snail and four peppered corydoras in it rn
Sorry I don’t have any other suggestions then. Hopefully you find what you’re looking for :). I’ll be following!

RomanNoodles96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishGirl115 said:
Hey y'all. anyone here keep neon tetras in high PH (8-8.4)?
Are there any fish you can keep in this PH range? Must fit it a 10g
I keep them in high ph/hard water. If you have a LFS that raises them in hard water it should work

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A friend of mine once kept 3 neon tetras in a 2 gallon tank with no heater or filter in 8.3 pH and those buggers lived for years. I think with neon tetras, they will either die if you breathe on them, or survive an atomic bomb.

Frank the Fish guy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, I have neons that thrive and breed at about 7.8 to 8.0 pH.

Neons are actually sensitive to the salt content (GH) not the pH. But since the two usually go hand in hand, things get confused. What I mean is that when folks have high pH water, they often have high GH too.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom