Anyone keep clams?

1. T

TigerBarb313 Valued Member Member

I was looking through live aquaria and saw freshwater clams. I was wondering if anybody has ever kept any. I like the idea of having one in my 37 gallon, but would like to know more about them. This is the best place to find out, so what do you have?

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I actually use to have a group of wild clams with my Guppies a while back, when I still liked those baby machines... I loved them and they helped keep the water clean. They are Filter Feeders, as you should know if you have researched them. and the myths about them breeding and the babies attaching themselves to your fish is actually wrong... it is freshwater Mussels that do that... Now I do have to say this... one day my brother ticked off my cousin (who is 15 years older than us we were 8 so do the math...) he poured bleach into our tank killing EVERYTHING the next day after a tantrum we cleaned the tank guess who was still alive ;) They are very hardy! I am planing to get some for my 29 because I missed them so much... also Sand is the preferred substrate and gravel is fine as well just don't get to big they still need to burrow for safty and it keeps them from being stressed...

And beware of nippy fish... it will cause them to close up and they will starve themselves...

3. OP
    OP
    T

Sounds like they are pretty hardy. Currently have cherry and gold barbs. Would that be a problem... Also, how would they work with julii Cory?

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

well I would say the barbs are pretty much like guppies temperament wise with the nipping... you will just have to buy a few and test it out... but I know that they become less nippy if they are in larger groups (the fish not clams xD) and I never kept a cory until a month ago when I got my Albino's so I can't help there... I would just say give it a try and see what happens :)

5. OP
    OP
    T

Hahahaha

I hope that I can get more info on the Cory's with clams. I hope they would go good together.

6. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

IMO I wouldn't do it. Clams prefer to be the only bottom dwellers in a tank. Although they are very hardy the clams are not very good at competing for food. Also, you should have a very mature tank for them. You should let your tank run for at least a year before adding them.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

8. L

Lake_mermaid New Member Member

Clams won't do well in a tank that is too clean.

They are filter feeders, and while you can purchase the plankton they need to feed on and administer it via a syringe directly in front of the clams so their little siphons can easily ingest it, that is a lot of trouble and not all that reliable as far as guaranteeing the clams get fed.

If you keep a murkier tank, they can enjoy a constant food source already in the water. I'm not suggesting allowing toxins to build up -- that's not good for any living thing. It's just that if everything gets filtered out, there's nothing left for the clams to feed on, then you have to do it manually. Clean your tank as needed, but don't try to keep it crystal clear.

I've been tempted to try clams myself, now that my tanks have been established for a couple of years.

With very small pea gravel, could they still burrow as they need to? I don't like sand for a substrate.

-- Lake mermaid

9. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I don't see why it'd be much different than maintaining a reef tank with corals that need to be spot fed (and clams as well, just SW ones). It's definitely more work than tossing some flakes in every day and walking away, though. Unfortunately the kind of tank that is conducive to filter feeders isn't exactly the prettiest to look at.

10. OP
    OP
    T

Looks like they bring a lot of risk along with some extra work. Thanks for all of the help guys. I'll probably wait for a while before getting any, if I do at all.