Anyone into Bones?

BlackNotebookTanks

Any Bone collectors/Taxidermists/Naturalists out there? Myself, I'm constantly on the lookout for natures oddities and I love collecting all the shells, feathers, bones, crystals, minerals and fossils I can!

I've been collecting since I was a kid so my collection is a little overcrowded at the moment. I've moved everything into my studio so I can constantly draw them!

Anybody fins anything interesting where they live or any cool bones or fossils? Let me know! I'd love to see them and show you my collection too!

oOBlueOo

I had a buck deer skull in the barn, but someone stole it

Aquaphobia

Oh wow, I love bones! I used to collect them as a kid;D

Among my favourite finds I would say were a falcon skull that I found in the woods in Northern Ontario and the remains of at least 7 mice that I carefully extracted from an owl pellet I found on the sidewalk near my home

BlackNotebookTanks

oOBlueOo said:
I had a buck deer skull in the barn, but someone stole it
Oh no! I had that happen to me with a giant rats skull. It was perfectly preserved and I found it in a river. Left it on the windowsill over night, and it was gone in the morning. But a whole buck skull? Yikes

Aquaphobia said:
Oh wow, I love bones! I used to collect them as a kid;D

Among my favourite finds I would say were a falcon skull that I found in the woods in Northern Ontario and the remains of at least 7 mice that I carefully extracted from an owl pellet I found on the sidewalk near my home
Woah! I'd love to have a big bird skull. All I have are bones from local cat killed birdies. Funny thing I was just cleaning out a field mouse skull about an hour ago! When my cat brings then in, if they are dead we bury them in the garden and dig them up a few months later when nature has run its course!

Jnx

Yello again, I'm a bone and oddities collector, too.

BlackNotebookTanks

Jnx said:
Yello again, I'm a bone and oddities collector, too.
Oh cool! You always find bones on Achill Island ( where I'm currently staying). An old friend is dropping up a stag skull tomorrow hopefully, and I've already found a few bones myself - even some sheep vertebrae I left here last year to macerate and clean themselves!

Aquaphobia

Post pictures! Or at least drawings of them

BlackNotebookTanks

I didn't really draw them, bar a minI sketch in a diary

These are the actual bones. The random rib I found is in the car, and my friend who has the stag skull also hid away some dolphin ribs for me

We haven't been out much due to bad weather, but any other bones I find I'll be uploading them here

BlackNotebookTanks

Ok so today... I may or may not have came across an entire top half of a DOLPHIN SKULL. On the side of the road!! There was noone around for miles, so I nabbed the baby myself. After spending a long while pulling out oozing cartilage from the nasal cavity, I gave it a warm bath and I'm picking up some bleach tomorrow. I know it's illegal to own one in many countries but I can't find anything for Ireland. If it is illegal, I'll be donating it to the local aquarium, or maybe the natural history museum. Something like a research facility might also work.

Jnx

Freakin' crazy! Questions of legality aside, I am terribly jealous! More pics! It's clearly a Cetacean of some sort, and is nearly definitely a dolphin. Wow. Just wow.
In not-as-cool-as-that news, here's one of my whitetail skulls. I often mount orchids on them. The orchid with this doe is a Tolumnia equitant oncidium.

BlackNotebookTanks

Jnx said:
Freakin' crazy! Questions of legality aside, I am terribly jealous! More pics! It's clearly a Cetacean of some sort, and is nearly definitely a dolphin. Wow. Just wow.
In not-as-cool-as-that news, here's one of my whitetail skulls. I often mount orchids on them. The orchid with this doe is a Tolumnia equitant oncidium.
Beautiful! There are wild Lillies growing here all around Achill, mostly white ones (I know literally zilch about Lillies) Speaking of deer..... My old friend popped in to say hello this morning (he's a local on the island) and he rooted around in his boot before pulling out this! (Me for scale!! (I'm 5ft 2"))

I was so overjoyed! I literally squealed with joy before hugging him! Its absolutely stunning. We have decided to name it "Methuselah" and even better - my friend says he also has two sheep skulls for me! Hehehe sorry for the blatant overuse of exclamation marks, I was just so incredibly happy to receive such a gift . He's dropping in some venison tomorrow morning too. I'll post a better picture of the skull tomorrow morning. Its enormous, and is in fantastic condition too. All teeth are still there and I'd say the deer was around 3-4 years old (though I have never ages a deer before and am totally unsure). But yeah that was an amazing gift from this morning!

Aquaphobia

Cool!!! What kind of a deer is that?

BlackNotebookTanks

Aquaphobia said:
Cool!!! What kind of a deer is that?
Not a clue! Perhaps it's a white tail? They are common right? I have no clue. Ill have to ask my friend when he pops over tomorrow

Aquaphobia

I don't think it's a white tail. Unless your white tails are different than our white tails

BlackNotebookTanks

Aquaphobia said:
I don't think it's a white tail. Unless your white tails are different than our white tails
I have never had ID (specifically) any deer bones before so I'm brand new. Ill look for it in the morning - hopefully my friend knows! I'm not even sure what deer are in Ireland! Besides the Irish Giant Deer!! (/Elk). Shame they were hunted to extinction ... Would have adored to see one of those beasts, meandering through a soggy forest laden with mist, on a drowsy spring morning. I remember seeing one of their skeletons in out national natural history museum. It was just breathtakingly large!

Aquaphobia

I just moved to open the window that looks out into the space under the front porch and found our local young buck relaxing under the banana trees!

The deer species here is the black tail.

His antlers are about an inch long

BlackNotebookTanks

Aquaphobia said:
I just moved to open the window that looks out into the space under the front porch and found our local young buck relaxing under the banana trees!

The deer species here is the black tail.

His antlers are about an inch long

Omg! That's bloomin incredible! Where are you living that deer just cruise up to your house not bothered by the fact that it's, well a house?!

Aquaphobia

LOL! Sooke, BC;D I'm in the bedroom and I decided to lie down for a bit. Just seconds ago I heard rustling and footsteps and looked over from the bed just in time to see the top bits of another deer pass by under the porch

BlackNotebookTanks

Aquaphobia said:
LOL! Sooke, BC;D I'm in the bedroom and I decided to lie down for a bit. Just seconds ago I heard rustling and footsteps and looked over from the bed just in time to see the top bits of another deer pass by under the porch
Oh my GOSH I'm so jealous!!!!!!

BlackNotebookTanks

I went on a walk to a top secret location on Achill and found some skulls, a tonne of bones and teeth, and a Seal Skeleton!! I know it's illegal to be in possession of any of their bones too, so I'm reporting it to the Irish seal foundation. This is to prevent anyone stealing the bones and selling them for a big price tag.

Here's the full deer skull too

Aquaphobia

Really? Why is it illegal to possess seal bones and why would anyone pay big money for them?

*Edit: not 100% but I think that might be a Sika Deer.

*Edit#2: I've changed my mind. It's more likely a Red Deer.

BlackNotebookTanks

Aquaphobia said:
Really? Why is it illegal to possess seal bones and why would anyone pay big money for them?

*Edit: not 100% but I think that might be a Sika Deer.

*Edit#2: I've changed my mind. It's more likely a Red Deer.
As far as I know, its illegal here in Ireland to kill, harass, injure, interfere with or disturb any maritime mammals or be in possession of any parts, found or collected from any maritime mammal. All of Ireland's maritime mammals are protected species. Because it is illegal to kill or be in possession of any maritime mammals, the dolphin skull is going to a local aquarium, and I notified the Irish Seal Sanctuary about the remains. They are collecting the seal's remains tomorrow. To legally own anything of this kind, you need to be in possession of a special licence. Because of its illegality, collectors and those who seek to grind down the bones for medicinal or healing use pay big money ( starting at €5,000+) for seal skulls. Its like anything else illegal. Drugs are expensive because they are hard to get, as is Ivory.

Also, thank you for ID-ing my deer skull! I haven't been able to ask my friend about it yet but when I do he can confirm it

Aquaphobia

Are there any Sika deer on Achill? I found out that Achill makes special effort to ensure that it's resident Red Deer don't hybridize with Sika Deer, which were introduced from Asia. I wasn't sure (it was really early and I wasn't completely awake yet) if that meant there were no Sika on Achill at all or if they're killed on sight if spotted. I know deer can swim!

Jnx

In my ungulate studies I've become something of an antler deducer. With size and structure, that is most cetainly a red deer. Though I'm unaware of what hybrids are possible or common.
Also, holy #@$%&!!!!
So, so jealous!
What an amazing collection you're amassing! I'm lucky when I find something that's *not* a whitetail.
As for deer and houses, we have a doe by our place that frequently leaves her fawns for us to "babysit". I'll look out the bedroom window and Bam!, there's a fawn just staring at me.

BlackNotebookTanks

Aquaphobia said:
Are there any Sika deer on Achill? I found out that Achill makes special effort to ensure that it's resident Red Deer don't hybridize with Sika Deer, which were introduced from Asia. I wasn't sure (it was really early and I wasn't completely awake yet) if that meant there were no Sika on Achill at all or if they're killed on sight if spotted. I know deer can swim!
You're absolutely correct! Its a red deer, as confirmed by my friend Also, the deer itself isn't from Achill. It is from land on a private estate down south My friend works there to keep deer populations in check and he gets to keep pretty much everything he finds or culls. Meat and all! (That's why we have venison in the fridge at the moment!) As for deer on Achill, I wouldn't say it's likley to be honest. There may be a very small population, but with the absence of forests and the size of the island (12km wide X 15km long!) I'm not sure of there are any deer! Its pretty barren here. The only thing that survives is the odd fox and basic farm animals...

Amazing research you did thank you so much!!

Jnx said:
In my ungulate studies I've become something of an antler deducer. With size and structure, that is most cetainly a red deer. Though I'm unaware of what hybrids are possible or common.
Also, holy #@$%&!!!!
So, so jealous!
What an amazing collection you're amassing! I'm lucky when I find something that's *not* a whitetail.
As for deer and houses, we have a doe by our place that frequently leaves her fawns for us to "babysit". I'll look out the bedroom window and Bam!, there's a fawn just staring at me.
Thank you! I'd love to get to that level of expertise ! Achill is the bone pickers paradise. Its wild, rugged and beautifully unforgiving if you're not careful. Oft is there an old sheep washed ashore, having been taken by the sea previously. (It happens surprisingly often!) And the nature of Achill likes punching things in the face too it seems Seriously! There are so many teeth from every bloomin animal you wouldn't believe it! I didn't even know deer your hybridise. Never even thought about it

Aquaphobia

Interestingly, the Sika/Red Deer hybrids are fertile and larger than the parents!

BlackNotebookTanks

Aquaphobia said:
Interestingly, the Sika/Red Deer hybrids are fertile and larger than the parents!
That's so cool! Its amazing how nature can work in the weirdest of ways sometimes

Also, the skulls cleaned up nicely!
Before

After!

Before,

After!

BlackNotebookTanks

So... my friend called over again

Aquaphobia

That's fairly awesome

If it were me though I would have to be irreverent and take the horns off to make myself a "Tim" headdress a-la John Cleese

BlackNotebookTanks

Aquaphobia said:
That's fairly awesome

If it were me though I would have to be irreverent and take the horns off to make myself a "Tim" headdress a-la John Cleese
Ohhh I never even thought of that! The horns would make a killer cosplay or costume prop!

BlackNotebookTanks

So... I eh.. went for a walk with my friend up around the headland this evening

We were only walking for about an hour. Boy am I glad I brought a Dunne's shopping bag with me!!

Aquaphobia

Whoa! That's quite the haul!

What is the skull third from the right? Is it complete? It looks... different

Jnx

Is that third one from the right the underside(technical term, lol)/cranium of another cetacean?
Also, still incredibly jealous! Hair-pullingly so! Gah!!! How do I get to Achill? Yesterday?
As for ungulates, just be unreasonably obsessed with equines, the rest falls into place after about thirty years.
I have a few pics of some of my collection;
My chair at the studio, the antlers became a necessary addition when everyone kept asking if they could sit in it:
A pig, which houses a lovely little studio spider:
And a cow (immature) pelvis. Up close, it has deformities in bone structure. Bovine Growth Hormones, anyone?:
The pelvis would also make a lovely cosplay mask.

Aquaphobia

I had a mature cow's pelvis once upon a time! I did use it as a mask Very temporarily though, that thing was heavy

Jnx

Aquaphobia said:
I had a mature cow's pelvis once upon a time! I did use it as a mask Very temporarily though, that thing was heavy
Lol! I was thinking that wearing it for any length of time would require a seasoned show girl's neck muscles!

BlackNotebookTanks

Aquaphobia said:
Whoa! That's quite the haul!

What is the skull third from the right? Is it complete? It looks... different
Yeah the third one from the right is a dolphins skull, with the nasal and mouth bits broken off

BlackNotebookTanks

Jnx said:
Is that third one from the right the underside(technical term, lol)/cranium of another cetacean?
Also, still incredibly jealous! Hair-pullingly so! Gah!!! How do I get to Achill? Yesterday?
As for ungulates, just be unreasonably obsessed with equines, the rest falls into place after about thirty years.
I have a few pics of some of my collection;
My chair at the studio, the antlers became a necessary addition when everyone kept asking if they could sit in it:
A pig, which houses a lovely little studio spider:
And a cow (immature) pelvis. Up close, it has deformities in bone structure. Bovine Growth Hormones, anyone?:
The pelvis would also make a lovely cosplay mask.
Nice collection! Its incredible how you can see with the naked eye what growth intensifying hormones are doing to those poor animals ... Also, I love your chair idea!

Jnx

Looking back, I'm amazed how the asymmetry reads in the photo. Crazy. And depressing.
Thanks! The chair was a lucky trade.

BlackNotebookTanks

Cleaned out and whitened this little Lamb skull today. Its literally glowing its so pretty. This poor pet will have a special place at home. Ah do' créitar..

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom