Anyone into audio/ speaker on here?

Discussion in 'Our Other Interests' started by LeoDiaz, Jul 18, 2015.

1. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

When i have nothing to do i like hearing music on my sound system/designing speaker cabinets, crossovers etc. was wondering if anyone else on here was into audio?

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I have a Dolby Atmos system.

3. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

So a home theather. Did you design it your self or just bought a box with everything?

4. BDpups

Yeah home theater. But I play plenty of music through it. I pieced it together. Onkyo head unit with Klipsch speakers.

As far as building and designing, nope. Not at all.

5. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Sub or no sub? I need to design a need home theater the one we have is a piece of junk.

6. BDpups

2 subs. Which are Polk Audio now that I think about it.

7. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Nice so a 5.2 or 7.2 home theater?

8. BDpups

9. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Cool, we dont have room to fit so many speakers lol for my new hometheater im going simple 2.1 system. Design from the ground up.

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

I love Bose!

Ken :)

11. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Bose is good but is way overpriced. I like Jbl better then bose

12. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

Paradigm Legend towers, CC-170 center, and ADP-170 surrounds. The Legends have built in subs with 200W Sunfire amps. My Denon AVR-3300 receiver finally broke down. The amps are ailing and the DAC is way past repair after 15 years of constant use. I'm looking into a Cambridge Audio receiver but don't have the budget for it yet. I use 8 gauge oxygen free speaker cables by Monster. If you guys know of a budget receiver with 0.05% THD or less let me know. Thanks!

So a 2.1 stereo setup. I'd recommend Paradigm for a low cost, entry level, high-end setup. Look into Cambridge Audio for the stereo amp or anything that has 0.05% THD or lower rating. Do not skimp on interconnects and cables as they will affect sound fidelity (I do notice the difference). 12 gauge or lower oxygen free high copper speaker cables. I use Tributaries interconnects with gold connectors. They are high quality and not that expensive.

My Paradigm Legends are old models. Now I believe they have the Titan and you have to buy the sub separately.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  13. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Most be awesome to watch some movies at your house lol, i dont know any receivers with that THD. Im looking into a 2.1 or a soundbar. I just want a boost whenever watiching movies cause we dont do it that often. And for music i already have a sound system in my room. Ill look into the speakers you said.

14. matsungit

LOL, not anymore since my Denon broke. Watching Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D and playing games aren't quite the same without a decent surround system. I only know of 2 brands that offer 0.05% THD or lower being Denon (not all models), and Cambridge Audio being the better. THD isn't exactly the determining factor of a good amplifier, it's just my personal judgement of the manufacturer's commitment to accurate sound reproduction hence my preference. I shy away from soundbars. It's just physically impossible for small speakers to measure up to the standard. Some will say Bose does but I've heard Bose and it's overly bright and too colored. Sure it sounds pretty and pleasing to most but it's hardly accurate. Price isn't necessarily synonymous with quality. Take Martin Logan for example. Sure it's unique with it's electrostatic drivers but the sound quality just doesn't justify the ridiculous price. My dream system involves B&W speakers with McIntosh or Carver units but they're way beyond what my wallet can reach and my wife would probably kill me and sell off whatever pieces is left of my sad carcass.

15. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Lol, i might just create my own speakers and everything thats what i enjoy doing. And when people ask where you get them i can say i made them my self. Martin logan is way overprices i seen it at stores. Who has that much money to waste on speakers.

16. matsungit

LOL, there's still a market for them. A lot of overly obsessed audiophiles still exist. Thank god for them they keep the high end market going with their deep wallets. The downside is that manufacturers need to jack up their prices to survive because of the small market. IMO true sound reproduction is slowly dying. :( Most people haven't even experienced true sound. True sound reproduction will bring you to tears because of the sheer beauty of it. I remember the first time I heard true sound reproduction in my car audio days with my friends when I was still in college. My close friend even entered the IASCA auto sound challenge back in the philippines. We lost when the left channel cut because of a loose connection. We were so confident so imagine the disappointment. He had Infinity Reference separates, Rockford Punch subs, Rockford Fosgate amps, 30 band Audio Control parametric equalizer, Altec Lansing active crossover, and a Clark noise gate, all professionally calibrated. And he had 2 large 1farad capacitors to filter power input.

If you are interested you can find an audio specialty store in your area. Not the ones that sell various appliances but one that is dedicated to high end audio. They have listening rooms and you can sample the performance of their very expensive systems for free. My friends and I used to do this a lot and it brings back fond memories. Just bring a reference grade CD or your favorite original CD (purchased not copied CDR). CDs used to have fine prints on them that determine how it was reproduced. The best ones are marked with DDD or ADD (analog-digital-digital).

Since you want to create your own speakers you may be interested in investing in some equipment. The first one is a sound test CD/DVD (like an IASCA test CD). One that has sine wave tracks, pink noise tracks, and different octave tracks (various frequencies from 20hz to 30khz). The other equipment is a Real Time audio analyzer or RTA. It's a good way to know if your speakers are producing accurate sound.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  17. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

There a store near me that has listening rooms like you say but you cant test them yourself and employee has to show them to you and you have to hear what they have. Last time i went up to one of there home theather rooms to hear them so i started playing music from there own systems. When a worker walks in and told me not to play with them because there not a toy. I was about to tell him "sorry i didnt see the do not touch sigh". Yea i decided to make my own speakers to fit my space needs 2 3ways speakers and latter ill add a sub to really give it that room filling sound.

18. matsungit

LOL, that was rude of them. They way I do it is make them believe I'm a prospective buyer. I ask a lot of technical questions and tell them I have a particular unit in mind and seriously considering it or alternatives. I have them change out amps/receivers and speakers and listen for about a song or two. If it's a movie I know I skip to relevant tracks that I'm interested in. After the demo session I tell them that I'll consider it. Everyone is a potential buyer, even the likes of poor me. Not all of those stores are snobby like the one you went to.

19. OP
    OP
    LeoDiaz

Proably they were snobby because they carry very expensive recievers and speakers so they dont want people to damage them.

20. matsungit

Exactly, but good luck selling them in a dying market. They need to broaden their mentality. They need to sacrifice units for the sole purpose of demo and display and put up a sign that says if you break it you buy it. Just to discourage those that do not know what they are doing. If there's a do not touch sign then staff should be willing to do certain stuff for your demo satisfaction.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice