Anyone In The Chicagoland Area Interested In Free Mollies?

Lauren4events
Hey everyone!

As many of you know, my tank is overcrowded and getting worse by the day. Getting stuck with livebearers was the worst thing my ex could’ve done to me. Learning how to care for fish (knowing nothing) has been quite a challenge for me. Having live bearing fish on top of that... is just a nightmare!

I need to rehome a lot of fish. I have dalmatian mollies. More than I can count. They are the sweetest fish. They eat from my hand and are so friendly and wonderful.

However, I have way more than I can care for. And I need help! I’m really hoping that through the site, I can find people who have experience with fry or livebearing fish. People who know how to properly and humanely care for them. And will treat them well.

So far, my other options, have not been good ones. I need to make sure these fish go to loving and caring homes.

Please help me!!!

All of my fish are free. I will even provide supplies, if needed. Heck, I would almost pay someone to help me at this point.

If you, or anyone you know in the area, can help me...
Please, please let me know. I’m begging you!

Thank you in advance!

Fashooga
Why not sell them to a LFS? Get store credit. Get rid of all them and use the credit to get a fish that you want that won’t pop babies every few weeks?

Terabyte
Get a predatory fish? People disagree with getting fish to solve problems but ehh if you can take care of it

Lauren4events
Why not sell them to a LFS? Get store credit. Get rid of all them and use the credit to get a fish that you want that won’t pop babies every few weeks?
Because my lfs will give fish to anyone who walks in. Without telling them about the basics or even dechlorinator. They couldn’t care less. Sorry, but I have a problem with that.

Please only respond if you live in the area and can help.

Get a predatory fish? People disagree with getting fish to solve problems but ehh if you can take care of it
Not interested in that solution, but thanks anyway.

cla001
Have you tried posting a "free aquarium fish" ad in your local Facebook buy/sell groups?
Someone posted such an ad earlier today in one of my local Facebook groups and people literally got into a virtual fight over who was the first one to post an "Interested" comment. And we are not even in a very populous / urban area.

I don't know about "give fish to anyone who walks in" aspect in such a case though. I guess given you offer fish for free you can impose certain "requirements" to a new fish owner (e.g. ask for a photo of their current tank(s) and their current water parameters to at least eliminate those who have no clue)

Lauren4events
Have you tried posting a "free aquarium fish" ad in your local Facebook buy/sell groups?
Someone posted such an ad earlier today in one of my local Facebook groups and people literally got into a virtual fight over who was the first one to post an "Interested" comment. And we are not even in a very populous / urban area.

I don't know about "give fish to anyone who walks in" aspect in such a case though. I guess given you offer fish for free you can impose certain "requirements" to a new fish owner (e.g. ask for a photo of their current tank(s) and their current water parameters to at least eliminate those who have no clue)
No, I haven’t. Thanks for the suggestion! How do you search for those groups on Facebook?

I’ve tried craigslist. But maybe no one responds because my ad asks a lot of questions. People probably don’t want to deal with it... But I want to make sure they know what they are doing.

Anyone can decide they want fish, especially if they are free. It doesn’t mean they actually want fish or will take care of them, you know?

I don’t know. Maybe I’m crazy. But I can’t help the way I feel. And I feel responsible for them. And responsible for making sure they don’t get thrown into a tank without a filter or heater or dechlorinator. With someone who will flush them down the toilet when they get sick or bored of them.

I know I’m making it hard to solve the issue of an overcrowded tank. But I can’t help it
I am who I am...

cla001
No, I haven’t. Thanks for the suggestion! How do you search for those groups on Facebook?
I’ve tried craigslist. But maybe no one responds because my ad asks a lot of questions. People probably don’t want to deal with it... But I want to make sure they know what they are doing.
Honestly I am not sure, I stumbled upon mine by accident a long time ago, it is called (just as an example) "Scranton Online Yard Sale". I guess if you search for groups "Your town name/Neighboring town name + Garage sale/Yard sale/For sale", you might end up with something.
I feel like Craigslist seems to be on its last breath, at least in my area - it just turned into "scam city" for almost any type of postings that attracts 4-5 scammers per each "normal" lead - I guess most people just don't want to constantly dig through this BS and just stop even checking CL.

I absolutely understand your feelings and hope you'll find a good home for your fishies!

Dave125g
Have you tried the "buy,sell,trade,free" section of fishlore?

Lauren4events
Have you tried the "buy,sell,trade,free" section of fishlore?
No. So just post this again in that section?

Dave125g
No. So just post this again in that section?
The moderators may just move it there.

Lauren4events
The moderators may just move it there.
Ok thanks for your help. I will wait and see if they move it before making a new thread. So there’s not duplicates. Have a good day

Coradee
Moved to BST board, please now only respond if you can help take the Op’s fish

luckdown
I would be interested in taking some off your hands. Though I am not in your area xP is shipping not an option?

How much of your fish are you trying to re-home? Just a portion or a good majority?

I'm already raising up fry so I would have no problem raising them for you. Though if you prefer I took as many adult females as possible I can do that

Gadfly
Aquarium Fish Sanctuary

Lauren4events
I'm looking to rehome as many of my dalmation mollies as possible. I have over 60 fry/very young fish in an already fully stocked tank. I would like to give them to anyone who would want them for free. The only requirements I have is that they will be treated humanely and cared for by someone who knows about and loves fish. Please keep me in mind if you or anyone you know might be interested. Thank you!

sloughdog
Aquarium Fish Sanctuary

Gadfly posted this in your other ad. Have you tried there? Probably the easiest most efficient way to resolve your situation.

Sergeant Pepper
Where in Chicagoland are you?

Lauren4events
Where in Chicagoland are you?
Northwest suburbs. Lake Zurich specifically

Aquarium Fish Sanctuary

Gadfly posted this in your other ad. Have you tried there? Probably the easiest most efficient way to resolve your situation.
Yes I sent them a couple of messages and they haven’t even bothered to respond. So I don’t think they are an option. But thank you so much for the advice!

Sergeant Pepper
It's a little far from me. If you were willing to ship them, I'd totally pay for them. I'd take at least 4-5 of them. If you have any interest in shipping them, pm me. I live around Mukwanago, WI

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dwc13
Replies
Views
NewToFishHobby
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views