Anyone Here Like To Cook/bake?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@ryanr your dishes always look pretty i can never be bothered, everything gets its own plate here so its never sexy. I never used a set recipe ive always just gone with whatever i had in the cupboard, but theres a few of yours i wouldnt mine trying.

I finally got off my backside after a year and seasoned my cast iron work and christened it with carrots with leek and chilli. Also made honey soy chicken and air fried potato gems
Thanks smee. I like to put some effort in. I live by myself, so I tend to reduce dishes and just plate up my dinner plate. The presentation thing is now kind of second nature.
I tend to use recipes for inspiration, though I do often just look in the pantry and fridge, and make it up as I go. I'm getting better at knowing what will work, but like all cooks, I've created some less than average dishes.

Cast iron wok? Is it heavy? sounds like it would be heavy and hard to toss? But the heat retention would be amazing.

I'm not a cook myself but I like to eat what other people cook.

All of you guys dishes looking really good.
Thanks. Cooking isn't difficult, knowing how to cook is a great life skill to learn. And it's so much easier to learn these days with youtube. I'd say going from "being able to cook" to "being a cook" is quite a journey. I now consider myself a cook, that is, someone who can 'invent' something, with an understanding of what works. Don't get me wrong, I still do my fair-share of googling an idea before executing, but I understand enough to look at ingredients and create something.
I'd encourage everyone to learn how to cook some basics. Beef, chicken, fish (if you eat meat), cooking vegetables has got to be the easiest thing in the world, and making a garden salad requires no skill. Then if you've got an interest, move up to the more "exotic" stuff. Just use fresh ingredients, and you can't go wrong. I do use the occasional store bought products (e.g. frozen fries/chips, vegetables, tomato/bbq sauces, stocks etc) but I always make my own marinades, dressings now, cheaper and not full of garbage.

You won me over at “Crispy skin duck”
Haha, is there another way to cook duck? It's the only way I know (well, unless it's a curry)

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks smee. I like to put some effort in. I live by myself, so I tend to reduce dishes and just plate up my dinner plate. The presentation thing is now kind of second nature.
I tend to use recipes for inspiration, though I do often just look in the pantry and fridge, and make it up as I go. I'm getting better at knowing what will work, but like all cooks, I've created some less than average dishes.

Cast iron wok? Is it heavy? sounds like it would be heavy and hard to toss? But the heat retention would be amazing.
It weighs a tonne but i can manage for tossing food but i reckon it will work real good for tossing at anyone who tries to break in. The heat retention is great i love cooking on cast iron. Ive also got a cast iron skillet as well.

I know a lot of people are scared of cast iron but its definitely the best thing ive ever cooked on. I hate cooking on anything but gas unless its an oven. when i go home ive got a gas camping stove stored at my mums that i use, i hate electric stove tops

When i first really started cooking in uni there were a couple of attempts that were that bad even my dog wouldn't eat. And theres been a few chinese dishes that pretty much went straight in the bin.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tonight, it's Honey Mustard Baked Salmon (with roast veg cos I had the oven on)
This marinade would work really well with chicken and probably pork too
View attachment 634662

Recipe: Honey Mustard Salmon (The Best Baked Salmon!) - Rasa Malaysia (love this website, so many quick, easy and delicious recipes)
Looks nice. I usually eat mine raw with a but of soy and wasabi. Ill have to try the honey mustard with some chicken though. My daughter and my wife loves honey soy chicken but im getting a bit tired of having it almost every week.

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@ryanr
I apologize for being off-topic. You have the tools to relocate my post if you consider it necessary.

Two weeks ago on the slopes of the hill where I live I met a couple from Australia.
Her family was from Hungary. He left his native Amsterdam after three months of school - I do not know whether kindergarten or first grade.
When I hear "Australia" I think of all kinds of beautiful fish I generally cannot keep in my pH-8.5 tapwater (the water actually seems to be more alcaline than that): Pseudomugil, Melanotaenia and so many others.
I asked them Australians if they were aware of the beautiful ornamental fish that possibly were swimming in the pond or streamlet behind or in front of their home. (Although I am not completely sure, I think they lived in or near Sydney.)
Their answer was no.
To impress them, I told them of the fish that live in water wells in the desert (forgot the name) and can endure extreme temperatures - both low and high - for short periods of time.
It worked: they were awe-struck, especially the husband. Later he told me, that he could not believe his ears when in the middle of nowhere in Southern Italy someone addressed him in his native Dutch.
I promised to send them an email with information on Australian endemic fish.

Could you help me - in a moment that you are not cooking?
Just the scientific names is enough.
I'll Seriously Fish, YouTube, Wiki, or Google them up, and link the results into my email.
Many thanks in advance.. :) :) :) :) .

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom